DCI Finals Travel Plans

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Did you stay by yourself or did your split come to around $90?

I stayed by myself in a one bedroom house.  Easily could handle a couple.

20 hours ago, sacrificialclown said:

mmmm Shapiros already callin my name

Mine too!

Somewhat on topic: is anyone else a part of the Friends of DCI? I put a deposit and purchased tickets back in September and have yet to receive tickets. When is that supposed to happen? I've already booked all my travel arrangements and it's a little unsettling that it's been 7 months and we've received nothing from DCI. 

2 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

Somewhat on topic: is anyone else a part of the Friends of DCI? I put a deposit and purchased tickets back in September and have yet to receive tickets. When is that supposed to happen? I've already booked all my travel arrangements and it's a little unsettling that it's been 7 months and we've received nothing from DCI. 

I did the same. Contact them. They have been working on it this month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNModdison said:

Thanks! Have you done this in previous years? Is this just par for the course?

No, this is my first year. I've been posting on the other thread about becoming a Friend to get finals tickets ("Is becoming a DCI contributor worth it for finals tickets?"). I'm a new Gold member, and I'm ambivalent about the seats, but I'm trying to be an adult and roll with the punches. DCI staff has been incredibly nice, but I think Lucas Oil is tricksy.

Edited by Xena45

3 minutes ago, Xena45 said:

No, this is my first year. I've been posting on the other thread about becoming a Friend to get finals tickets ("Is becoming a DCI contributor worth it for finals tickets?"). I'm a new Gold member, and I'm not all that happy with our three seats, but I'm trying to be an adult and roll with the punches.

Okay. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I did the trip last year.  Look into AirBnB for lodging.  The hotels downtown are unbelievably expensive.  I got a whole house within 15 minutes of the stadium for under $90/night.  A short Uber ride was inexpensive as well. 

I agree on AirBnB (and VRBO, also). But also try Priceline. My last trip to FInals (2011), I got really, really lucky on Priceline. Stayed Thursday through Sunday at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, just a couple of blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium, for $58 a night!

3 hours ago, SNModdison said:

We had them about a month ago last year.  I don’t know what is going on.  I haven’t received any tickets to any shows I’ve purchased tickets.

Edited by Terri Schehr

On 4/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, detergant said:

(Sorry if this isn't the right board to post it in)

As a DCI fan i'm planning to go to Semifinals and Finals this year on the 9th and 10th of August. I'll be traveling almost 800 miles and 11 hours to get there, from Oklahoma.

Does anyone have any tips or any advice they could give me to stay alive and happy on my travels?

I went to 2017 Semis/Finals with a friend, driving from MN (roughly 9+ hours). We stayed with a couple other friends at a hotel about 15-20 mins outside of downtown Indy ... I believe they booked the room months prior. It was my first finals experience since aging out in 2006. Overall worth it, but I don't plan on going back anytime soon (unless I get free tickets ... preferably in one of the luxury suites).

A few questions first:

- Are you doing the drive solo or with someone?

- Do you have a place to stay yet?

- Do you have tickets yet, and where are they (between the 40s or outside, upper/lower deck)?

If no lodging is booked yet, Airbnb/VRBO would be worth looking into (generally cheaper places that are closer to the stadium). Otherwise, you could do what we did and go in on a hotel  room that was already booked (there was only one bed, but fortunately I brought a sleeping bag). If you don't know anyone who's going, you could try posting something on /r/drumcorps ... see if you can get in on a room. You ultimately just need a place to crash, not to hang out.

A few other observations/comments:

- If you plan on watching warm-ups, bear in mind that the site is about a ~20 minute walk from the stadium. Corps get bussed to the stadium ... it's that far. Either budget your time effectively, or consider bringing a bike/skates/scooter.

- Parking wasn't terrible, from what I remember. We parked a few blocks away in a ramp. Event price wasn't outrageous.

- The plaza and convention center areas outside of the stadium typically have events going on in the hours before semis/finals. If you want, you can catch a soundsport group or a "special guest" type group (i.e. SCV alumni corps in 2017 ... awesome and freakin' loud standstill performance).

- Unlike some NFL stadiums, that are intentionally put in the middle of nowhere, Lucas Oil Stadium has a fair amount of food/bar options nearby. A lot of private parties in spaces nearby, too.

- There are a bunch of security/event contract workers, but most of them don't care, especially during semis. I was able to walk in with a full backpack, which technically isn't allowed (it was also full of beer, which is for sure not allowed).

- Regarding the trip: I've never personally driven from OK to IN, so I don't know what the lay of the land is. If you're driving solo, it might be a good idea to check on potentially closed rest stops in certain states. In my trip, Wisconsin had a bunch that were closed down. Highway 39 in Illinois from Rockford to Bloomington was also pretty desolate (most boring drive I've done since Nebraska).

- It's pretty well documented, but the overall acoustics suck, especially if you're outside of the 30s/40s. If I ever go back, I'll spend most -- if not all -- of my time watching warmups.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar