Sign in to follow this  
CrownBariDad

If the Champions were absent...

Recommended Posts

If a person is a true competitor, one of dignity and honor, one who sees the real value in competing aganist the best in the world, it would be far more, infinitely more, rewarding to finish 9th against them than 1st without them. Just sayin'.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stu said:

If a person is a true competitor, one of dignity and honor, one who sees the real value in competing against the best in the world, it would be far more, infinitely more, rewarding to finish 9th against them than 1st without them. Just sayin'.

 True. It was also refreshing to see DCI Finally allow Open Class Corps to compete at Prelims vs. World Class Corps several years back too, imo. With this, we found that World Class Corps that believed they were for example the " 14th best Corps " in DCI, were actually maybe the 15th or 16th best Corps that season. Open Class Champions ( and sometimes runners up ) as a result, found even more rewarding moments with this ie... not only that they were the best in their Open Class Division that season, but they were also better that season than quite a few of the Corps that in earlier years had been placed in the higher Division by DCI HQ.....  in the World Class Division. Without allowing such access, it was only mere speculation alone as to how an Open Class Corps might fare vs. these World Class Div. Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it would look a lot like places 9 through 20 on any given year. Boston has added some staff talent from previous G7, and they’ve certainly drawn favor recently, so they’d become the Class B Blue Devils over time. 

I wonder how many audience members would even notice the clear drop in Excellence, when all the top tier is missing. Imagine those 8 champs disappearing, including all the staff and membership talent. If all you had—and all you knew—was open class type Quality, I suppose most wouldn’t notice.

Another question: what will it take to get Madison, Phantom, and Cadets back into contention? (One answer: an off year by current darlings). Boston and Cavies are probably closer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. BD - Why? Because they didn't win last year and are ######!

2. SCV - Why" Because they won last year and BD is ######!

3. Boston - Why? Because they easily had a better show than at least 2 of the corps that finished ahead of them.

4. Bluecoats - Why? Because they have a better percussion line than....

5. Crown - Why? Because last year they were lucky to finish where they did.

6. Cadets - Why? Because they're on the rebound.

7. Cavaliers - Why? Because I just didn't care for the last 3rd of their show.

8. Blue Stars - Why? Because this is just where they are.

9. Mandarins - Why? Because slow and steady wins the race.

10. Academy - Why? Because design and execution come together again.

11. Spirit - Why? Because they probably should have been in last year.

12. Troopers - Why? Because someone has to finish 12th.

13. Madison - Why? Because they are stuck in the past.

14. Regiment - Why? See above.

15. Colts. Why? Because they won't let Madison or Regiment fall that far.

Edited by Rocketman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rocketman said:

1. BD - Why? Because they didn't win last year and are ######!

2. SCV - Why" Because they won last year and BD is ######!

3. Boston - Why? Because they easily had a better show than at least 2 of the corps that finished ahead of them.

4. Bluecoats - Why? Because they have a better percussion line than....

5. Crown - Why? Because last year they were lucky to finish where they did.

6. Cadets - Why? Because they're on the rebound.

7. Cavaliers - Why? Because I just didn't care for the last 3rd of their show.

8. Blue Stars - Why? Because this is just where they are.

9. Mandarins - Why? Because slow and steady wins the race.

10. Academy - Why? Because design and execution come together again.

11. Spirit - Why? Because they probably should have been in last year.

12. Troopers - Why? Because someone has to finish 12th.

13. Madison - Why? Because they are stuck in the past.

14. Regiment - Why? See above.

15. Colts. Why? Because they won't let Madison or Regiment fall that far.

I think you misunderstood the assignment buddy

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if Rocket was thinking this was the Predictions thread, so I'll cut some slack. If that were the case, where are the Blue Knights? The whys make sense to me in a lot of cases. I could see PR dropping out of top 12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 12:07 PM, Bruckner8 said:

I suppose it would look a lot like places 9 through 20 on any given year. Boston has added some staff talent from previous G7, and they’ve certainly drawn favor recently, so they’d become the Class B Blue Devils over time. 

I wonder how many audience members would even notice the clear drop in Excellence, when all the top tier is missing. Imagine those 8 champs disappearing, including all the staff and membership talent. If all you had—and all you knew—was open class type Quality, I suppose most wouldn’t notice.

Another question: what will it take to get Madison, Phantom, and Cadets back into contention? (One answer: an off year by current darlings). Boston and Cavies are probably closer...

 To follow this fantasy further, where would the other 8 Corps go ? My guess, they'd all fold in a year or two... maybe 3 years max.. Why ?  Not  convinced 8 Corps with their current revenue needs could last out there alone as a 8 Corps circuit for very long. A sizable percentage of audience goers at Championships are made up of Friends, family, Alums of dozens of current DCI Corps,  as wll as Fans of DCI, that want variety and more than the same 8 corps every year, and no more than 8. The. Championships would be,. at most, a 2 day event, with just 8 Corps.

 With the 8 Corps folding in a couple of years, the remaining DCI Corps would benefit.  Quality levels from them  improve, imo. My guess, a DCI without the 8, would be depleted, but in short order, the remaining DCI Corps would pick up better, more talented marchers than they have now.. and become even better.  Marchers still want to march with the best.. and these DCI Corps would be the best.  Great instructors won't leave. They'll go teach the ones remaining.. thus helping make them better. The remaining DCI Corps would become stronger.. at the top anyway.. just as they always have. DCI has lost lots of Top 8 Corps over the years ( including Champions ). Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers,  Glassmen, etc and the like that left us.. DCI seems to have survived it. The 8 Corps listed above are never going to leave ( or they would have by now ) as it would be financially unsustainable for more than a year or two for such an 8 Corps circuit, imo.. But if we insist, I suppose a rather compelling case could be put forth that in such a fantasy creation, the remaining DCI 20 + Corps, at least the top tier, would in short order, become even stronger than they are today, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cascadia said:

I think you misunderstood the assignment buddy

Probably!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, Rocketman said:

1. BD - Why? Because they didn't win last year and are ######!

2. SCV - Why" Because they won last year and BD is ######!

3. Boston - Why? Because they easily had a better show than at least 2 of the corps that finished ahead of them.

4. Bluecoats - Why? Because they have a better percussion line than....

5. Crown - Why? Because last year they were lucky to finish where they did.

6. Cadets - Why? Because they're on the rebound.

7. Cavaliers - Why? Because I just didn't care for the last 3rd of their show.

8. Blue Stars - Why? Because this is just where they are.

9. Mandarins - Why? Because slow and steady wins the race.

10. Academy - Why? Because design and execution come together again.

11. Spirit - Why? Because they probably should have been in last year.

12. Troopers - Why? Because someone has to finish 12th.

13. Madison - Why? Because they are stuck in the past.

14. Regiment - Why? See above.

15. Colts. Why? Because they won't let Madison or Regiment fall that far.

Why?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Why?

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.