2019 George Takei Inducted Into WDCHOF

23 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

If the World Drum Corps Hall Of Fame would like to be forward thinking and desiring to acknowledge actual professional achievements benefitting the drum corps activity, I can think of no one more befitting or relevant at this moment in drum corps history than Tricia Nadolny. But she wasn’t on a tv show once upon a time so there’s that. 

Roman can induct her 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Roman can induct her 

Classic!

On 5/2/2019 at 9:09 AM, HockeyDad said:

To me .....this comes off as the nerd trying too hard to hang out with the cool kids. Better to acknowledge a nameless volunteer who has given so much more of themself than someone who was an actor in a tv show with a cult following 50 years ago, who also picked up a horn once or did a year in a corps when he/she was 17..  But that’s just me I guess. 

With respect, I fear you miss the point of this particular honor. There are several additional Hall of Fame categories that recognize the contributions of both volunteers and luminaries of the Drum Corps family. In all, there are more than a dozen others to be inducted this year.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

With respect, I fear you miss the point of this particular honor. There are several additional Hall of Fame categories that recognize the contributions of both volunteers and luminaries of the Drum Corps family. In all, there are more than a dozen others to be inducted this year.

I don’t think I miss the point at all. Reaching for some connection to a so-called famous person. Why?  It seems ... insecure or something. Or maybe I’m wrong - what is his contribution to the activity?  Big donor?  Volunteer?  Pubic service announcements?  What?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While this type of induction is hardly unprecedented (Cliff Claven for cryin' out loud), it doesn't sit well with me either. When's my induction? 

" When's my induction?  "

Step 1: Have your sponsor submit your resume

As for Mr. Takei and Mr. Ratzenberger, a casual perusal of theirs would reveal significant contributions by both in the areas of human rights and respect, and for the promotion of the values of hard work and education. At its best, these are fundamental to the Drum Corps activity, and each of them have acknowledged that publicly on several occasions.

In short, their lives reflect a very positive credit to said activity.

Some may consider that insignificant, and they are certainly entitled to that minority opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ironlips said:

As for Mr. Takei and Mr. Ratzenberger, a casual perusal of theirs would reveal significant contributions by both in the areas of human rights and respect, and for the promotion of the values of hard work and education. At its best, these are fundamental to the Drum Corps activity, and each of them have acknowledged that publicly on several occasions.

Some may consider that insignificant, and they are certainly entitled to that minority opinion.

However, Frank, I too, although aware of Mr. Ratzenberger having marched in one of the Greater Bridgeport, Ct. drum corps BITD, was very surprised by his HOF placement given his printed comments in CT newspapers, and in televised and other interviews about "the waste of tax money" as he said in the CTPOST for current music and fine arts programs while defunding industrial arts or shifting technological programs from manufacturing to computer education. Such "blue collar" perspectives seem more Chris Claven's barstool philosophy than a HOF worthy attitude when one considers the marching arts of any generation especially in these modern times. Cheers.

HockeyDad may not be off the target suggesting that "climbing" with celebrities is a way some people build their own self-worth.  But then again back East we usually don't understand you Hollywood types at all even if its on Broadway.  

• Like 3

how many of these celebrities with drum corps pasts have actually attended?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

Ok we'll just agree to disagree, including that mine is a minority opinion.  BTW you just described millions of people with - human rights and respect, hard work, education.  That pretty much describes everybody's mom.  Oh, what did you forget (on purpose?) to include?  He was on a pop culture tv show 50 years ago and that's cool....

It's a significant stretch to say those values reflect on the drum corps activity.  But going with that thought, they also reflect on, ... the military, people who grind out their 9 to 5's, parents, and so on.

But this does provide something to talk about in the long off season.