2019 George Takei Inducted Into WDCHOF

There's some good "point/counterpoint" in this discussion, something to be said from several quarters.

I was aware of John Ratzenberger's  militant political position re industrial arts education. Perhaps it's balanced a bit by the fact that he has attended virtually every Barnum Festival drum corps show since the late '60s, but that's for others to judge.

As for motherhood, I'm all for that, but my mom didn't march in a drum corps though she (evidently) did share some of the values.

And I am glad we all can keep a sense of humor around our various viewpoints. I had a pretty good laugh when I read this:

" we usually don't understand you Hollywood types ", having been born and raised in the Bronx. Thanks. I needed that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Ok we'll just agree to disagree, including that mine is a minority opinion.  BTW you just described millions of people with - human rights and respect, hard work, education.  That pretty much describes everybody's mom.  Oh, what did you forget (on purpose?) to include?  He was on a pop culture tv show 50 years ago and that's cool....

It's a significant stretch to say those values reflect on the drum corps activity.  But going with that thought, they also reflect on, ... the military, people who grind out their 9 to 5's, parents, and so on.

But this does provide something to talk about in the long off season.

Please don’t disregard Mr Takei’s contribution to media. That “pop culture” program broke ground. Think about how people of Asian descent were portrayed in film and television prior to Star Trek. Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Hop Sing from Gunsmoke are two of the most egregious examples that come to mind.

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Please don’t disregard Mr Takei’s contribution to media. That “pop culture” program broke ground. Think about how people of Asian descent were portrayed in film and television prior to Star Trek. Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Hop Sing from Gunsmoke are two of the most egregious examples that come to mind.

Absolutely agree. Yet, I see zero to very little connection to drum corps here, and that’s my point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

how many of these celebrities with drum corps pasts have actually attended?

i'll ask again

" how many of these celebrities with drum corps pasts have actually attended? "

An interesting question, I think.

Attended what, exactly? Shows in which they marched? Parades? DCA Finals? DCI Division II? Alumni shows in Harrisburg?

I guess it depends on what qualifies as attendance, and when one starts counting. Chick started going to drum corps shows in the mid-'50s but has not shown up much lately. Then again, over 40 drum corps have played his music, at last count.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

how many of these celebrities with drum corps pasts have actually attended?

Attended the induction ceremony?

Billy Cobham was at his a couple of years ago. Can't speak for the rest.

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

" how many of these celebrities with drum corps pasts have actually attended? "

An interesting question, I think.

Attended what, exactly? Shows in which they marched? Parades? DCA Finals? DCI Division II? Alumni shows in Harrisburg?

I guess it depends on what qualifies as attendance, and when one starts counting. Chick started going to drum corps shows in the mid-'50s but has not shown up much lately. Then again, over 40 drum corps have played his music, at last count.

the induction ceremony

Right, of course. Sometimes I just can't see the forest...etc. Must be all those attempts to play higher than Screech back in the day.

My apologies for completely missing the obvious point of the question. Sorry, Jeff.

Last year, Diane Nicholeris attended, but she actually got a leave from the San Francisco Symphony to do so. Eric Julliard from Top Secret traveled from Switzerland. Chick Corea was on tour in Europe. As Fran mentioned, Billy Cobham flew in from his home in Panama for the ceremony, and Astronaut Chris Ferguson, the first Distinguished Professional Achievement inductee, played hooky from NASA to attend.

John Ratzenberger, Chick Corea and Steve Gadd all had performance commitments, Labor Day weekend being a fairly busy time generally for actors and musicians, but each prepared a personal acceptance video that was shown at the event. (That will be the case for George Takei this year.) Chick was presented with his plaque in person at his concert in Berkley last summer.

Even among other inductees, it often occurs that getting to "off the main line" destinations like Rochester and (gasp) Williamsport on the worst travel weekend imaginable is just not feasible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

Right, of course. Sometimes I just can't see the forest...etc. Must be all those attempts to play higher than Screech back in the day.

My apologies for completely missing the obvious point of the question. Sorry, Jeff.

Last year, Diane Nicholeris attended, but she actually got a leave from the San Francisco Symphony to do so. Eric Julliard from Top Secret traveled from Switzerland. Chick Corea was on tour in Europe. As Fran mentioned, Billy Cobham flew in from his home in Panama for the ceremony, and Astronaut Chris Ferguson, the first Distinguished Professional Achievement inductee, played hooky from NASA to attend.

John Ratzenberger, Chick Corea and Steve Gadd all had performance commitments, Labor Day weekend being a fairly busy time generally for actors and musicians, but each prepared a personal acceptance video that was shown at the event. (That will be the case for George Takei this year.) Chick was presented with his plaque in person at his concert in Berkley last summer.

Even among other inductees, it often occurs that getting to "off the main line" destinations like Rochester and (gasp) Williamsport on the worst travel weekend imaginable is just not feasible.

cool i didnt know