2019 George Takei Inducted Into WDCHOF

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if he supports the activity in any way now?  I read the criteria for induction.

The Hall of Fame honors individuals who have contributed significantly over many years to the development and continuing excellence of drum and bugle corps activity. The organization also seeks to preserve the history of the drum and bugle corps movement in North America by selecting a noteworthy junior and all age (senior) corps of each decade since the 1940s.

Well, he did provide the voice-over dubs for Godzilla and Rodan, and he did do the Sci-Fi convention circuit tour. Those are the directions DCI is going, therefore, it does fit the criteria that he has contributed significantly to the development and Excellence of the drum corps activity!

• Haha 2

Not sure how many inductees in the Distinguished Professional Achievement category are still actively involved with drum corps.  I know inductee Billy Cobham has kept in touch at various times with some folks from our mutual old team (DCA's Sunrisers)... and perhaps Steve Gadd or some other inductees have at least kept up a bit with what's going on... I don't know for sure. 

NOT a knock on their inductions, or the category, or the criteria...not at all. I'm fine with all of that.

Just saying that the category seems to be more for people who have spent at least a bit of time in drum corps and then moved on to much bigger, much more well-known  careers/achievements, and who have acknowledged that drum corps played at least some roles in their early lives and development. (I can't speak for all of them.... but Billy Cobham, for one, has spoken fondly of his drum corps years.)

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

This is totally tangential to Takei and drum corps, but the musical he created, "Allegiance", would make an excellent band or corps show. There is some wonderful music in the show. I saw him in it when it was on Broadway; my daughter-in-law was one of the stage managers. 

He was appearing in the show on the west coast for a bit, but I don't think he is doing it right now.

21 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if he supports the activity in any way now?  I read the criteria for induction.

Hi, Terri.

Actually, the criteria for the Distinguished Professional Achievement Category differs from the boiler plate general version you read in the press release for basic membership. DPA is designed to recognize people who got early exposure to drum corps values and skills and then used those to craft successful careers in other areas of endeavor. 

Some other notable DPAs:

Christopher Ferguson - NASA Space Shuttle Commander, former snare in Philadelphia PAL

John Ratzenberger - Actor, former drummer in CT. Royal Lancers

Chick Corea - Grammy-winning musician/composer, former soprano in St. Rose Scarlet Lancers

Diane Nicholeris - First violin, SF Symphony, under Michael Tilson Thomas, former guard captain, Sir Thomas Moore

...etc.

As for Mr. Takei, like the others, he has made a habit of supporting and endorsing the activity. (See the photo accompanying the announcement on the DCP home page. He was making an appearance in support of the Boy Scout corps.)

Also, there was a recent TV special about a "George Takei Museum" opening in LA wherein he discusses his involvement in and affection for drum corps. 

21 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The Hall of Fame honors individuals who have contributed significantly over many years to the development and continuing excellence of drum and bugle corps activity. The organization also seeks to preserve the history of the drum and bugle corps movement in North America by selecting a noteworthy junior and all age (senior) corps of each decade since the 1940s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Hi, Terri.

Actually, the criteria for the Distinguished Professional Achievement Category differs from the boiler plate general version you read in the press release for basic membership. DPA is designed to recognize people who got early exposure to drum corps values and skills and then used those to craft successful careers in other areas of endeavor. 

Some other notable DPAs:

Christopher Ferguson - NASA Space Shuttle Commander, former snare in Philadelphia PAL

Chick Corea - Grammy-winning musician/composer, former soprano in St. Rose Scarlet Lancers

Diane Nicholeris - First violin, SF Symphony, under Michael Tilson Thomas, former guard captain, Sir Thomas Moore

...etc.

As for Mr. Takei, like the others, he has made a habit of supporting and endorsing the activity. (See the photo accompanying the announcement on the DCP home page. He was making an appearance in support of the Boy Scout corps.)

Also, there was a recent TV special about a "George Takei Museum" opening in LA wherein he discusses his involvement in and affection for drum corps. 

That’s cool.  

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s cool

$10 that when they announce him at the ceremony at least 1/3 of the attendees will yell "Ohhhh myyyyyyy!" I know I would.

• Like 3

Janina Gavankar is a celebrity performer who really loves drum corps. She should be considered for this category. She featured Surf in her video of Usher's "Don't Look Down" a few years back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Janina Gavankar is a celebrity performer who really loves drum corps. She should be considered for this category. She featured Surf in her video of Usher's "Don't Look Down" a few years back.

Given her enthusiasm and love of the activity,I would like to see DCI use her as a 

color commentator for the Tour Premier or BLL broadcasts.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ironlips said:

Hi, Terri.

Some other notable DPAs:

...etc.

I'd be curious to see/hear what his level of being a fan has been over the years. When was the last time he was at a show, watched a video, etc. I think it's great when people that were part of the activity many years ago, and have gone on to amazing things are recognized for both them and the activity, but I'm always curious how much of the modern activity they know of.

Chick Corea, for example, sent a letter to BD after the 1994 season acknowledging their show. Granted it was 25 years ago, but still cool that even up until then he was aware of the activity.