The Texas Triangle

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Time to consider A Town.

Had tickets for the past two years and also had events come up that have kept me from attending. While everyone is loving it this year I will be judging case study presentations.

14 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Katy show was one of my least favorite all year. Hot, not great seating.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

- Prepare yourself for some stifling heat and ungodly traffic. 

But it's a dry heat. :tongue:

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm thinking about doing the Texas Triangle this year.  Flying into one location (DFW) and being able to fly out of the same location with five days of Drum Corps is to good to pass up.

Any advise from the crew?

Thursday - Denton (13 Corps)

Friday - Katy (8 Corps)

Saturday - San Antonio (23 Corps)

Monday - Mesquite (11 Corps)

I want to hear more about how you make out if you go.  We are most likely visiting my wife's family in Houston next year, and we were thinking about timing it in conjunction with San Antonio DCI.

As a life long Texas resident, here is my advice.
Texas in July is hot and humid.  You will encounter actual temperature near or exceeding 100 degrees F & heat indices will be higher.  In the Houston area, we consider 50% humidity to be low.  If you go to an outdoor show, plan to drink lots of water and put on lots of sunscreen.  Sunset in July is usually around 8:30pm.
People who aren't from this part of the country often don't realize how far apart the cities in Texas really are.  Without dealing with rush hours, it's a 4 hour & 20 minute drive from Denton to Katy.  Another 2 hours and 40 minutes from Katy to San Antonio.  San Antonio back to Mesquite is 4 hours and 30 minutes.  It absolutely can be done.  I will be driving that again this year.  Just be sure to plan accordingly.Thankfully, there are Buc-ee's along the way.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

The most important good news is that there is a Buccee’s on every leg of your trip.

"In late 2018, Buc-ee's announced a deal with Tooshlights to put special indicator lights in bathrooms to alert customers to which stalls are occupied or not. This is similar to the indicator lights used at some parking facilities that tell drivers which parking spaces are available and which are not. The Katy and Temple Buc-ee's stores would be the first to get the special bathroom indicator lights."

This alone makes them awesome.:innocent:

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:36 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm thinking about doing the Texas Triangle this year.  Flying into one location (DFW) and being able to fly out of the same location with five days of Drum Corps is to good to pass up.

Any advise from the crew?

Thursday - Denton (13 Corps)

Friday - Katy (8 Corps)

Saturday - San Antonio (23 Corps)

Monday - Mesquite (11 Corps)

Go to Taco Cabana at least once.  There are several in San Antonio (one by Alamo) & Dallas / Foat Wuth;  not sure of other places.  Best fast Tex / Mex there is

On 5/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, kkrepps said:

I want to hear more about how you make out if you go.  We are most likely visiting my wife's family in Houston next year, and we were thinking about timing it in conjunction with San Antonio DCI.

Let me know if you do! We’ll show you Guardians hospitality. 

👍🏻

Mike

• Like 1

It's a go!  Flight is purchased, tickets for all of the shows are purchased (Katy top side center is already sold out 😫)  and car is rented. Now it's the lodging. No good options in Mesquite for AirBnB and no hotels within walking distance for Denton. I'm going to make it work. 

After hosting corps at my school for the past several years, I'm taking a year off and hitting as many shows as I can. Allentown tailgate will be set up as always across from the HamFam. Just a different opportunity to do the Texas run.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, BigW said:

"In late 2018, Buc-ee's announced a deal with Tooshlights to put special indicator lights in bathrooms to alert customers to which stalls are occupied or not. This is similar to the indicator lights used at some parking facilities that tell drivers which parking spaces are available and which are not. The Katy and Temple Buc-ee's stores would be the first to get the special bathroom indicator lights."

This alone makes them awesome.:innocent:

We Catholics know these occupied or not indicators as Confessional lights. Been used for almost two centuries now. What goes around, comes around. Emoji comes later.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 2