Kinda Funny!

Was looking over staff for a few corps and started to laugh....

In our best year (1976) we had three percussion staff (one with the corps all the time and the other two would pop in once in a while). One brass person/arranger who came in periodically while one or two of us would warm up the line during summer and DM would run rehearsals. One guard instructor and one of the girls in rifle line would be in charge of them. Our drill person would pop in once in a while too. When they were all there it would be less than 5 people. Today 5 people would be the tenor techs LOL.

How big was your staff?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Was looking over staff for a few corps and started to laugh....

In our best year (1976) we had three percussion staff (one with the corps all the time and the other two would pop in once in a while). One brass person/arranger who came in periodically while one or two of us would warm up the line during summer and DM would run rehearsals. One guard instructor and one of the girls in rifle line would be in charge of them. Our drill person would pop in once in a while too. When they were all there it would be less than 5 people. Today 5 people would be the tenor techs LOL.

How big was your staff?

My local-circuit junior corps, we had a percussion instructor, sometimes two, depending on the year.  Also one guard captain/instructor.

Our director was seriously old school. He ran the horn line, and wrote, taught, and cleaned the drill.  He didn't write the music, and occasionally brought in a person or two to help work the horn line. Occasionally.  LOL. He was basically a one-man show.

DCA's Sunrisers, where I ended up after junior corps... we had three, maybe four, brass staffers.... including the arranger... at any given time.

Percussion... a caption head/arranger (Dennis DeLucia the years I was there) plus a few in-house folks.

Visual... a caption head/arranger... plus a few teachers.

Color guard... one or two teachers/arrangers, depending on the year.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

They didn't need their own bus or two, that's for sure. 

Generally one caption head per section and that's assuming they showed up.  None of them true musical professionals. One assistant, very frequently a MM including myself or a parent volunteer. 

Later on post age-out, it was as skeleton crew as you can get. It did make a 12-pack of Coors last longer, though among the group. 

20 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

They didn't need their own bus or two, that's for sure. 

Generally one caption head per section and that's assuming they showed up.  None of them true musical professionals. One assistant, very frequently a MM including myself or a parent volunteer. 

Later on post age-out, it was as skeleton crew as you can get. It did make a 12-pack of Coors last longer, though among the group. 

"Twelve Pack Staffs":

We had about the same "Rationing" with the Royal lancers (CT).  We had Joe Genero writing with Artie Hlywa & Ray Ludee teaching horns and drums  and Bob Condon and Ed Woods on drill up to 1964.

Hy Drietzer was hired for the 1965 & 1966 marranging, with Hylwa & Ludee stil on their captions.  Vinnie Radtford was hired to write the drill, and I "believe" Condon & Woods still worked with us.

I'm amazed I can still remember any of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 1

In my first corps -The Raiders of 88-the only staff member I saw was  Tommy Swan.  i never saw a percussion instructor or a marching instructor.  Fran maybe you can ask Lenny or Benny or your sister who they were.

1 hour ago, Bucbari said:

In my first corps -The Raiders of 88-the only staff member I saw was  Tommy Swan.  i never saw a percussion instructor or a marching instructor.  Fran maybe you can ask Lenny or Benny or your sister who they were.

I'll see Lenny this weekend... I'll ask him!!!

first corps was a standstill/parade corps with one instructor for all captions.

jr m&m corps was genero on brass, cluna on drill and friesing on drums- each were the designers as well.

sr. corps was drietzer with rodriques on horns, eric p on drums and various drill guys over the years did the writing with dm doing cleaning

guard people were no place to be found

pit was way in the future.

jr corps fit on one bus with all equipment in the under carriage

• Like 1

Story from 1973..... our corps was going to start learning drill and we were told at start of rehearsal that this gut who ran the local drill team was going to do our drill. I was 12 going on 13 and a veteran and knew from the start that this guy was not going to work out. Nothing on paper whatsoever and then he said, "we're going to do a Troopers sunburst!" I just started shaking my head and even the older kids were doing the same thing. We broke for lunch and upon returning the "drill guy" was replaced by our horn instructor who had already had things down on paper. Sadly our horn/drill guy Dick Lewis passed away a few years after that and he was a young man too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In 1958 the Chicago Vanguard had a staff consisting of John LoBue, who arranged and taught the hornline, and Larry Lavita, who handled drums, drill and was manager. We were terrible and rehearsed a LOT that season. I don't know how those men were able to have personal lives. We were thankful for their dedication.