What happens when a Corps folds?

On 5/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, BRASSO said:

So no, you could not start a Drum Corps in Idaho or wherever and call them the " 27th Lancers ", if the owners of that name has officially registered that name, and do not want you to utilize it.

I'm tempted to do it just to prove you wrong. That seems petty, but worth the $100 filing fee.

11 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

I'm tempted to do it just to prove you wrong. That seems petty, but worth the $100 filing fee.

Yeah, seems petty. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Well, if you remain unconvinced by the facts above that the " 27th Lancers " successfully got a court order to remove a Corps from using the name " 27th Lancers " without their permission, go out, file the fee, then start your Corps and name them the " 27th Lancers" as well, and see what happens. Good luck and a toast to you, my friend with your " 27th Lancers ":beer:.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, if you remain unconvinced by the facts above that the " 27th Lancers " successfully got a court order to remove a Corps from using the name " 27th Lancers " without their permission, go out, file the fee, then start your Corps and name them the " 27th Lancers" as well, and see what happens. Good luck and a toast to you, my friend with your " 27th Lancers ":beer:.

I’m sure no one would would take exception with that ...😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

I guess my question would be, why would anyone want to "resurrect" a corps name? Even if it could be done, nobody is going to think that the new "Star of Indiana" is the same Star from '93. I don't see the gain from doing it really, but I may be short sighted. 

On the subject of the 27th, though I would LOVE to see them back again ( one of fathers favorite corps,) it just wouldn't be the 27th for me. For good or bad, we live in our own memories with some things and to see Star, 27th, Sky, Glassman or VK would somehow just not satisfy me the way I would want it to.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Beecause I kan't spell gud
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I guess my question would be, why would anyone want to "resurrect" a corps name? Even if it could be done, nobody is going to think that the new "Star of Indiana" is the same Star from '93. I don't see the gain from doing it really, but I may be short sighted. 

On the subject of the 27th, though I would LOVE to see them back again ( one of fathers favorite corps,) it just wouldn't be the 27th for me. For good or bad, we live in our own memories with some things and to see Star, 27th, Sky, Glassman or VK would somehow just not satisfy me the way I would want it to.

The original actual real Cleveland Browns 1944-1995 became the Baltimore Colts. The owner took everything except the tradename and trademark to Baltimore. The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion team created in 1999 and are not the original team but are the Browns in name only. Check out the history and you will find out why a name is that important even if transfered to an entirely new entity.

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

if I win Powerball I am bringing the Westshoremen back. And I have no intentions of it being like the previous versions, because i'll be sure to have a team around me to make it sure it's financially solvent

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

The original actual real Cleveland Browns 1944-1995 became the Baltimore Colts. The owner took everything except the tradename and trademark to Baltimore. The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion team created in 1999 and are not the original team but are the Browns in name only. Check out the history and you will find out why a name is that important even if transfered to an entirely new entity.

Ravens. The Colts took the name with them to Indy, hence the horseshoe on the field

Edited by Jeff Ream

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Ravens. The Colts took the name with them to Indy, hence the horseshoe on the field

Jim was raised a Browns fan.  When they moved to Baltimore, he became a Ravens fan.  He calls the Cleveland team the fake Browns.  😂 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

The original actual real Cleveland Browns 1944-1995 became the Baltimore Colts. The owner took everything except the tradename and trademark to Baltimore. The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion team created in 1999 and are not the original team but are the Browns in name only. Check out the history and you will find out why a name is that important even if transfered to an entirely new entity

Point well taken Stu. There's no doubt that names are powerful. Trust me when I say I understand full well the impact of "brand recognition." In my alternate life remember that I work in what I consider to be a "cottage industry." Pool players, at least the good ones, are VERY particular about their equipment and when you're charging someone $1500 or more for a cue and telling them it will take a year, you'd sure as #### have some brand recognition. 

But if someone copies your name and product, design etc., it tends to go very poorly. There's only one George Balabushka. 

Now, that being said, maybe corps are different. If Star came back for instance, I would absolutely see them. Would they be the same Star? Not to me. That doesn't mean though that I would be against their success. I'm not that old and grumpy to put anything new on auto-hate.

If I won the lotto, I would make a few fat contributions to both Spirit and Atlanta CV. But IMHO, some things....like Star are best left to the legend we have in our memories.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever