What happens when a Corps folds?

48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim was raised a Browns fan.  When they moved to Baltimore, he became a Ravens fan.  He calls the Cleveland team the fake Browns.  😂 

Hey, I am from Detroit. We have a fake NFL team. 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The Loins, Er I mean Lions.  Lol 🦁 

Motor City Kitties 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Hey, I am from Detroit. We have a fake NFL team. 😂

Fun fact...they had a center a year or so back named Travis Swanson.  His father is Todd Swanson....former Trooper (76-78, 79, 81) and Blue Devil (82 euph, 83 lead DM).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Boo Boo Stu. Thanks. I can hear the roar of laughter from here as Jeff yells, "Ya got that right!!" 😋

we all make mistakes. some of us just edit faster LOL

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Point well taken Stu. There's no doubt that names are powerful. Trust me when I say I understand full well the impact of "brand recognition." In my alternate life remember that I work in what I consider to be a "cottage industry." Pool players, at least the good ones, are VERY particular about their equipment and when you're charging someone $1500 or more for a cue and telling them it will take a year, you'd sure as #### have some brand recognition. 

But if someone copies your name and product, design etc., it tends to go very poorly. There's only one George Balabushka. 

Now, that being said, maybe corps are different. If Star came back for instance, I would absolutely see them. Would they be the same Star? Not to me. That doesn't mean though that I would be against their success. I'm not that old and grumpy to put anything new on auto-hate.

If I won the lotto, I would make a few fat contributions to both Spirit and Atlanta CV. But IMHO, some things....like Star are best left to the legend we have in our memories.

This is not about copying a name and a product like a poor version knock-off; but about something going through various incarnations or even a rebirth via acquiring the legal name and developing a quality product.

I had the pleasure of seeing the final tour of Rush. They are, of course, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. Could any other three performers become Rush? Maybe, but likely not. However...

I also recently attended a Blood Sweat and Tears concert. Original band? Nope; not even close. In fact they have been through many incarnations, with over 180 different members, including a different group formed after a two-year absence in the early eighties, and even a newer formed group today. But is the current new incarnation BS&T? Yep! Oh my yep! They own the name and are just as stellar as the first incarnation.

So here is my question for you: Are drum corps more like Rush or Blood Sweat and Tears?

Edited by Stu

6 hours ago, Stu said:

This is not about copying a name and a product like a poor version knock-off; but about something going through various incarnations or even a rebirth via acquiring the legal name and developing a quality product.

I had the pleasure of seeing the final tour of Rush. They are, of course, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. Could any other three performers become Rush? Maybe, but likely not. However...

I also recently attended a Blood Sweat and Tears concert. Original band? Nope; not even close. In fact they have been through many incarnations, with over 180 different members, including a different group formed after a two-year absence in the early eighties, and even a newer formed group today. But is the current new incarnation BS&T? Yep! Oh my yep! They own the name and are just as stellar as the first incarnation.

So here is my question for you: Are drum corps more like Rush or Blood Sweat and Tears?

Based on the OP's first post, I did not gather that it was about anything more than just that....use of a name. There were some questions about assets being bought and sold, debt and liquidation of said assets...but the main body of the post to me seemed to be regarding name usage. My answers were directed towards that specific subject. /shrug

But now on to your question. That's an interesting take. Every other year, I go to see Toto at least twice a year (they alternate Europe and US tours.) Is it the same band? Nope, just as in your BS&T (good choice btw) example, the members have changed somewhat. Both Mike Porcaro and Jeff Porcaro have passed away and Bobby Kimball lost his voice 20 years ago. Still amazing? YES. Their 35th anniversary concert was simply incredible. Over 28 years, I have seen Toto nearly 20 times. 

I guess it really comes down to the eye of the beholder, yes? The members in a specific corps change year to year. Thereby the level of talent changes (even if only slightly up or down,) the corps personality changes as it is colored by new members and staff etc. And yet the name stays the same (unless you're the Cadets...Garfield Cadets..Holy Name Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County.) So I would say corps is more like BS&T by default. 

My take on the subject is a little different. Jeff's take on bringing back Westshoremen was a good example. Would it be the same name, same mission and values etc? I would think so as I think there would be stakeholders in place to make sure that happened. Would people who had seen Westshoremen V1.0 think that Westshoreman V 2.0 was the same corps...that's the rub isn't it? Star of Indiana...same question. People have been begging since they marched off the field to bring them back, but some things, IMHO are best left to memory. If they could be brought back with the same financial solidity, level of staff and operational acumen, then I'm all for it. If it's going to be a pig wearing a Star of Indiana shirt then let it stay where it is. Either way, it's a different corps especially so far removed from when they last performed. Drum Corps (like rock bands in your example,) are products of the talent they bring to the field. Spirit will always be Spirit. But there are those who would go so far to say that it's not Spirit without Hunter Moss. 

Interesting discussion Stu.