What happens when a Corps folds?

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

There was also a 21st. Lancers from Norwood, MA which is where a well known drum and bugle corps personality got his start.

My junior corps lost to the 21st Lancers at the World Open Class B (which was class A everywhere else) prelims in 1975.

Then again, my corps lost to pretty much everyone at that prelims show. :laughing: Holy mackerel, were we godawful that day.  LOL. 

Would that well-known personality be George Zingali?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

My junior corps lost to the 21st Lancers at the World Open Class B (which was class A everywhere else) prelims in 1975.

Then again, my corps lost to pretty much everyone at that prelims show. :laughing: Holy mackerel, were we godawful that day.  LOL. 

Would that well-known personality be George Zingali?

No, Mike Woodall. He mentioned it on his Facebook page when he paid tribute to either his mother or father.

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so if someone registered in another state, but performed in Mass with that name...would there be an issue?

If they engaged in any type of "commerce" in the state of Massachusetts, then it could potentially be an issue.  That includes performing in a show/concert, participating in a parade, or any other business function which could be considered a conflict with what the original 27th Lancers declared on their trademark registration.  Even selling souvenirs/merchandise through an online store to a customer in Massachusetts could potentially be considered "commerce" based on many of the new tax laws that require out-of-state merchants to collect & pay sales tax as if they had a brick & mortar presence in each state.

Given that thought process, a court order would likely stop them from using the name in within Massachusetts.  If the new organization opted not to appear in that state, and simply chose not to sell merchandise to customers in that state, they could probably skirt local trademark registration.  Would it be worth it though?

6 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

If they engaged in any type of "commerce" in the state of Massachusetts, then it could potentially be an issue.  That includes performing in a show/concert, participating in a parade, or any other business function which could be considered a conflict with what the original 27th Lancers declared on their trademark registration.  Even selling souvenirs/merchandise through an online store to a customer in Massachusetts could potentially be considered "commerce" based on many of the new tax laws that require out-of-state merchants to collect & pay sales tax as if they had a brick & mortar presence in each state.

Given that thought process, a court order would likely stop them from using the name in within Massachusetts.  If the new organization opted not to appear in that state, and simply chose not to sell merchandise to customers in that state, they could probably skirt local trademark registration.  Would it be worth it though?

"hey DCI, if you ever leave Indy, don't move finals to Mass.....we don't feel like getting sued"

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Don't know about 'horrible', but extremely problematic. New fans have no clue what it was all about and likely not care... and the old fans would have certain expectations that would likely not be met. The results sure could be horrible, but it would be at the least exceedingly difficult.

I’m sticking with it is a horrible idea ... but I am, admittedly, biased.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m sticking with it is a horrible idea ... but I am, admittedly, biased.

There are many, many thoughts on it on my end. The main thing that would be beyond horrible....would be if they ended up doing the same British theme every year and Holst, Vaughan Williams, Grainger, and Elgar everyone to death like another group that comes to mind. The other issue... What the heck kind of uniforms would they wear now?  Vanguard for instance was able to make changes that they succeeded with... but I have a guess there would be a certain aesthetic demand that couldn't be met. it would take a heckuva costume designer to make that happen where people didn't freak out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

There are many, many thoughts on it on my end. The main thing that would be beyond horrible....would be if they ended up doing the same British theme every year and Holst, Vaughan Williams, Grainger, and Elgar everyone to death like another group that comes to mind. The other issue... What the heck kind of uniforms would they wear now?  Vanguard for instance was able to make changes that they succeeded with... but I have a guess there would be a certain aesthetic demand that couldn't be met. it would take a heckuva costume designer to make that happen where people didn't freak out.

And I think this puts into better context my original reply of "why would you want to?" I'm a pretty nostalgic cat consisering that I'm only 47....or 48...I forget which but I'm one of those ages. But there are so many moving parts to consider (fans old and new, expectations of alumni of the former reiteration of the corps, uniforms, legal considerations with the name, etc.) I guess it comes down to the reason of "why." If it's a nostalgia thing, I get it. But is nostalgia of a name worth all of background considerations? 

I'm not one to tell anyone what to do. Its not my monkey or my circus. I'm just curious as to the "why" behind the "what if." 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

. What the heck kind of uniforms would they wear now?  Vanguard for instance was able to make changes that they succeeded with... but I have a guess there would be a certain aesthetic demand that couldn't be met. it would take a heckuva costume designer to make that happen where people didn't freak out.

I'll say. I'd be a first. What long time Corps thats undergone attire/ shako replacement or displacement did so where " people didn't freak out " ? 😄

Edited by BRASSO

The organization, once it folds, is no more.  It ceases to be.  Bereft of life, it rests in peace.  It has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed its last, and gone to meet the Great DCI Judges' Panel in the sky.  I guess that we’re all thinking how sad it is that a corps of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away, before it had achieved many of the things of which it was capable, and before it had made the Top 12.

Well, I feel that I should say, “Nonsense.  Good riddance to it!  I hope it fries."

(As attributed to Oscar Wilde, "Talent borrows, genius steals" - in this case, from here.)  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

The organization, once it folds, is no more.  It ceases to be.  Bereft of life, it rests in peace.  It has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed its last, and gone to meet the Great DCI Judges' Panel in the sky.  I guess that we’re all thinking how sad it is that a corps of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away, before it had achieved many of the things of which it was capable, and before it had made the Top 12.

Well, I feel that I should say, “Nonsense.  Good riddance to it!  I hope it fries."

(As attributed to Oscar Wilde, "Talent borrows, genius steals" - in this case, from here.)  

I don’t like to see any corps fold, though in light of some recent situations, I might alter that to say I don’t like to see any corps that does it’s best and provides a quality experience to marching members fold. A great deal also depends on the connection to the corps. I thought  Suncoast Sound was a fine corps, but it was not top on my list and I viewed it more as a loss for drum corps and a respected competitor than as a personal loss. My feelings were different for corps I loved such as 27th, North Star, and Bridgemen. Many people mourned the loss of Star, others saw the departure as sour grapes over not winning in 1993. 

At one time when a corps folded, someone else took it’s place. That has not been the case for close to 40 years, perhaps more. I was watching a Glassmen video a few days ago. The show was good, not one of their more memorable shows, but it reminded me, when we lose a corps, it is not replaced.

• Like 3