Discussion

I'm listing corps from the 1970's. If you have an interesting story about them please post. Probably will be a lot of corps but then...there were a lot of corps back then LOL

Blue Rock, St. Lucy's Cadets, Argonne Rebels, Spectacle City Mariners,

Kenosha Queensmen, Norwood Park Imperials, Stardusters, Nisei Ambassadors, Marion Cadets, St. Paul Scouts, Shoreliners (CT), Midlanders (Ontario), Appleknockers, Oshkosh Warriors, St. Rita's Brassmen, CMCC Warriors, Polish Falcon Cadets, St. Mary's Cardinals, Blessed Sacrament, Charioteers, Precisionaires, Floridians, Belvedere's, I.C. Reveries, Capitolaires, Royal Crusaders, Emerald Cadets (CT), Syracuse Marauders, Tri-Town Cadets, Windjammers, Keystone Regiment,Lasalle cadets, Les Compagnon, 507 Hornets, Sancians

That's enough for now.

12 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I'm listing corps from the 1970's. If you have an interesting story about them please post. Probably will be a lot of corps but then...there were a lot of corps back then LOL

Blue Rock, St. Lucy's Cadets, Argonne Rebels, Spectacle City Mariners,

Kenosha Queensmen, Norwood Park Imperials, Stardusters, Nisei Ambassadors, Marion Cadets, St. Paul Scouts, Shoreliners (CT), Midlanders (Ontario), Appleknockers, Oshkosh Warriors, St. Rita's Brassmen, CMCC Warriors, Polish Falcon Cadets, St. Mary's Cardinals, Blessed Sacrament, Charioteers, Precisionaires, Floridians, Belvedere's, I.C. Reveries, Capitolaires, Royal Crusaders, Emerald Cadets (CT), Syracuse Marauders, Tri-Town Cadets, Windjammers, Keystone Regiment,Lasalle cadets, Les Compagnon, 507 Hornets, Sancians

That's enough for now.

"The Great Plains":

Casper Troopers, Troopers Cadets, Argonne Rebels, Hutchinson Sky Ryders, Denver Blue Knights, Denver Eldoradans, Witchita Scarlet Lancers, Salina Silver Sabers, Tri VEL Raiders, Frontiersmen, Enid Legionettes, Plainsmen, and the Seventh Cavalry.    :guinesssmilie:

The US Air Force had drum corps at Lowry AFB and the "Enlisted" NCO drum corps at the USAF Academy.  Both are long gone.    🎺

Elphaba     :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

I knew of a lot of those eastern corps mentioned, but being from the midwest, I saw more of those corps along the way. DP's own Teri Schehr marched with Norwood Park whom we competed with many times. The name that sticks out the most to me among these is the Precisionaires from Iowa. I always thought they just had a certain "coolness" about them. Lots of swagger and confidence. In 1975, we were within tenths of them early in the year and they went on to finish 15th or somesuch at Philly Open Class prelims while we didn't show much improvement from June thru August. 

The Capitolaires bring back some memories too. I recall they had a great show in 1973 that included a really sweet arrangement of the Carpenters Goodbye to Love .I was actually hoping the Blue Stars would have revived that tune for their Carpenters show last year. 

The Charioteers from Alabama were really an underrated corps back then as were the Stardusters from Nawlins. They managed to come back a bit in the mid 70s after the Bleu Raeders took a chunk of kids in '72. Both these corps had some very solid drum lines. 

I remember seeing Blue Rock at 1972 US Open.

Precisionaires blew me away at the NT Open in 1975!

Charioteers were one of my all-time favorites as they were a fantastic small corps that impressed me!

Regarding the corps on Keith's first list...

The junior corps where I marched competed against the Belvederes, Keystone Regiment, and 507 Hornets in the Eastern States Circuit. The Belvederes won a couple of ESC titles during those years, from what I remember.

Of course, Keystone and 507 merged after the 1974 season and became the Crossmen.

Another "Imperials" I'll add to the list.... the Pembroke Imperials from Massachusetts. Terrific corps, and a great group of people. My first year marching... 1971... their members and families housed the members of my junior corps when were up that way for the World Open. 

Then when the Imperials attended our home show in Manville, NJ, that summer... we returned the favor and housed them. Good times.

That's interesting. I don't know that I'd ever heard of visiting corps being farmed out to local corps families. We did that when I played sports as a kid while traveling with small teams. That must have taken a lot of logistical planning for the number of kids involved then. Geez, you sure wouldn't be able to do that today, even on a limited basis, huh? Background checks and other risks...oh my. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's interesting. I don't know that I'd ever heard of visiting corps being farmed out to local corps families. We did that when I played sports as a kid while traveling with small teams. That must have taken a lot of logistical planning for the number of kids involved then. Geez, you sure wouldn't be able to do that today, even on a limited basis, huh? Background checks and other risks...oh my. 

Yeah... I have no idea how the management folks from both corps pulled that off.  I remember the family with whom I and another guy in the horn line stayed... they fed us well and had a nice swimming pool!!!  LOL

And you're right... the logistics in today's world.... forget about it.

Best one I know of is Blue Rock and the Anaheim Kingsman got uniforms mixed up.  The yellow were supposed to go the Anaheim,,while the blues to the obvious “BLUE Rock”. As the story goes, they decided just to accept what the received from the uniform company, and thus Blue Rock wore yellow and Anaheim the blues.

That can't be true LOL

• Haha 1

Story about the Belleville Black Knights from that era. BK had always been the Cavaliers' bridesmaid for decades and finally in 1973 put a corps together capable of beating the Cavies, which coincided with a Cavalier down year during their 25th anniversary. Cavies' show was pretty bad, but BK's Crown Imperial, Get it On and Man from LaMancha won over the crowds and judges bigtime. In June when BK won Illinois VFW State, BK became the most arrogant, obnoxious corps ever and seriously thought their poop didn't stink. The MMs were all trash talkers when you'd see them around at other shows and would publically taunt the Cavaliers in front of anybody. I was in a small corps at the time and wasn't even that big of Cavaliers fan, but still thought geez, what a-holes these people were. Well, the Cavaliers didn't get much redemption as they failed to make DCI Finals. BK barely squeaked in by .1 over DeLaSalle in prelims which aggravated me even more. Then when they moved up to 10th over Argonne in finals, I thought I was going to have a stoke at age 16. To this day, if I ever run into a BK from 1973, I swear I'll let the air out of their tires. Not that I hold grudges.