Discussion

On 5/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

The Charioteers from Alabama were really an underrated corps back then

Great small corps, I agree.  Saw them in 1973 and '74, and it was basically a clinic on how to program for a smaller group.

Hey, cool. The thread made it a second page and I lost my DCP virginity with 100 posts. 

• Like 2

On our first trip to the US Open in 1972, we first competed in a show in Bellefontaine, OH. My memory was that Beverly Cardinals, Buckeyes, Mello Dears, Marion Cadets and possibly Southern Tier Grenadiers were there. If anyone has scores that would help. I also remember an after show party at what I thought may have been a ski resort. Mind you this is almost 50 years ago LOL

I really had a crush on a girl from the Marion Cadets I'd met in '72. They beat us in June and we beat them right back in July and that was the end of that. 

St.Lucy's being banned from the New Jersey Turnpike.  Uhhh they weren't choir boys or altar boys.  Also getting into it with Boston Crusaders up in Bridgeport inside the stadium and the cops just locked them in and didn't do much to separate the corps.  Boston was a very very tough corps back then and you didn't #### with them and that included the girls.  A bunch of kids from Southie.

Honorable  mention goes to the I.C. Reveries sitting down on the starting line in 66 at the VFWs in protest of not making finals.  This actually led to the demise of the corps when the Parish decided not to sponsor the corps.  But the corps reorganized and out of that came the 27th Lancers.

Edited by Bucbari

So I heard the story about I. C. Reveries and then the formation of 27th Lancers. BUT.....I believe they competed in 1974. I also remember a former member of my corps in NY (Joel Lamarre) going to march with them.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:47 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Story about the Belleville Black Knights from that era. BK had always been the Cavaliers' bridesmaid for decades and finally in 1973 put a corps together capable of beating the Cavies, which coincided with a Cavalier down year during their 25th anniversary. Cavies' show was pretty bad, but BK's Crown Imperial, Get it On and Man from LaMancha won over the crowds and judges bigtime. In June when BK won Illinois VFW State, BK became the most arrogant, obnoxious corps ever and seriously thought their poop didn't stink. The MMs were all trash talkers when you'd see them around at other shows and would publically taunt the Cavaliers in front of anybody. I was in a small corps at the time and wasn't even that big of Cavaliers fan, but still thought geez, what a-holes these people were. Well, the Cavaliers didn't get much redemption as they failed to make DCI Finals. BK barely squeaked in by .1 over DeLaSalle in prelims which aggravated me even more. Then when they moved up to 10th over Argonne in finals, I thought I was going to have a stoke at age 16. To this day, if I ever run into a BK from 1973, I swear I'll let the air out of their tires. Not that I hold grudges. 

The Cavaliers had a long history of taunting and demeaning the Black Knights. The two corps really hated each other. (Kinda like the Chicago Bears and the Greenbay Packers) The Cavaliers, over the years, were known for referring to the BKs as "hillbillys" and $hit-kickers." This lack of courtesy and respect earned them some push-back from BKs. IMHO

That very well could have and probably did happen. The Cavaliers weren't exactly choir boys either in those days, but few of us were come to think of it. I'll concede a slightly jaded view of things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeithHall said:

So I heard the story about I. C. Reveries and then the formation of 27th Lancers. BUT.....I believe they competed in 1974. I also remember a former member of my corps in NY (Joel Lamarre) going to march with them.

2nd illiteration of the corps, not the original Reveries

• 4 weeks later...

I have an interesting connection to St. Mary’s Cardinals of Beverly. I am assigned as a priest at the parish that once sponsored the corps. In the mural in the dining room of the rectory there is a mural featuring a parade and the Cardinals are leading the pack. They have an alumni association that sponsors the Beanpot Invitational, on the grounds of the former Manning Bowl that is now Manning Field in Lynn. A great venue for high school sports, a bit cozy for those of us no longer the same size we were in high school. The proceeds of the show fund scholarships for one marching member from each competing corps as well as kids in music programs in Lynn and Beverly. They want to give back to say thank you for drum corps did for them. Class Act!

• Like 1