Will go through Drum Corps withdrawls this year

My son marched 2016 and 2017, was supposed to march last year but he decided not to at the last minute (bad decision he knows). He tried out for a top 3 corp this year and didn't make to so decided to go to summer school.  At the last minute 2 corps contacted him and said we need you....but he already enrolled.  So this year I have no investment but will still follow the season.  I went to finals two years in a row and went to Boston for parades and a show.  Great activity and I encouraged him to think about marching his age out year.

• Like 2

An old instructor from Kentucky once told me as a young rookie, "Once it's in yer blooooood it'll nevah leave". You're invested. 

Good luck to your son's success in school and/or should he choose to march next season. 

• Like 1

I’d still catch a few lives shows and parades if there are any in your area. I do not have children so I would not be invested the same way a parent would be, but where you know so much about what goes into drum corps you’ll probably find you still have investment: your own enjoyment.

Also, remember many parents reading this may be jealous. Your son could not march in the corps of his choice so he decided to take summer classes instead. I know many parents who complain they cannot get their college aged kids off the couch unless it’s for the beach or Six Flags!😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’d still catch a few lives shows and parades if there are any in your area. I do not have children so I would not be invested the same way a parent would be, but where you know so much about what goes into drum corps you’ll probably find you still have investment: your own enjoyment.

Also, remember many parents reading this may be jealous. Your son could not march in the corps of his choice so he decided to take summer classes instead. I know many parents who complain they cannot get their college aged kids off the couch unless it’s for the beach or Six Flags!😎

Couchmen don't count?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

An old instructor from Kentucky once told me as a young rookie, "Once it's in yer blooooood it'll nevah leave"

He was right. Look at us old farts still on here talking about drum corps years after age out (for me almost 30.) I'll wear my corps jacket until I'm too fat to fit into it. It's an amazing activity. Investment (in this case,) was there the moment the OP's son auditioned for his first season and I'm betting both the OP and his son will be lifelong fans. 

• Like 2