Chops and MBI

1 hour ago, CorpsBuff said:

DCA is definitely at a crossroads. The idea that DCA is cheaper than DCI really only exists for those who live within a reasonable distance of a DCA corps. In 2008 during the gas price spike paying over 4 dollars a gallon to drive 3.5 hours 1 way to drum corps each weekend got to be quite expensive. Dues now are much higher than even when I stopped marching competitively. DCA has to find its identity. With Bucs making their partnership with Crown, and even the now defunct C2 I think you'll start to see more and more DCA corps making partnerships with DCI. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see DCA become DCI All Age in 5 years.

DCI's charter is pretty clear about them being a youth organization, and I've never really felt any momentum from their side to change that.  I just don't see them adding the grownups down the road.

Mike

1 hour ago, burdettsky said:

So many things to consider here.

1.  Labor Day Weekend has been discussed ad nauseum.  But that could help a little, answer of course being when the change would be made to.  (Week after DCI, week before?)

2.  The activity has changed tremendously.  I recall when I did Sky a few years back, one of our members did Sky in 2000.  I may have my figures wrong, but he was in his early 40's, and in 2000, was the youngest in his section.  In a span of less than 20 years, 40 somethings are as rare as the yeti.  the activity has gotten extremely young, kind of like a DCI lite, and let's face it, today's kids are lazier than ever.  

3.  DCI has gotten more publicity and visibility thanks to flomarching and all technology for that matter, and DCA hasn't.  Though the activity is geared more for those ages, let's say, 16-25, the visibility for those who don't already know about DCA just isn't there.  

Yeah, there were only 13 corps in 1993 and DCA recovered, but it isn't 1993, it's 2019.  And look at the 15 corps we have.  Of them, two (Columbus Saints and Highland Regiment), are still fairly new groups.  Both flirted with 35 members last year.  Columbus suffered a terrible loss with their equipment trailer being stolen.  I certainly hope all is moving along nicely with both groups, but they are by no means veteran corps who have been around a while.

DCA may indeed be at a corssroads, and there may not be an answer.  I, for one, hope there is.   

many points made before too. 

21 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Might be worth it... there's a finalist spot there for the taking, if finals still includes 10 Open corps.

not like they haven't taken 11 just because in the past

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

DCI's charter is pretty clear about them being a youth organization, and I've never really felt any momentum from their side to change that.  I just don't see them adding the grownups down the road.

Mike

I honestly can't see the DCI groups with the power want to give up any control or resources that aren't geared towards them. 

13 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

No question DCA is at a weakened position right now. I can’t possibly know all recent developments that helped to bring DCA and its corps to this condition but do want to mention one lost opportunity that has troubled me for years. This is a failure to fully embrace THIS platform.

The willingness of John Donovan and Drum Corps Planet to provide DCA and its members certain abilities no All-Age body could ever produce and maintain on its own, was never adequately taken to full advantage.  To me, a factor worth considering.

The problem was, and you see it on the DCI side here as well is.....the drama. the complaints. the screen names that aren't real names taking shots. 20 years ago corps directors would trash RAMD, DCP replaced RAMD, and it's never been anywhere as bad as RAMD was in it's heyday....but the stigma persists. 

The funny thing is...DCI or DCA....they trash DCP, but they know what's been said here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The problem was, and you see it on the DCI side here as well is.....the drama. the complaints. the screen names that aren't real names taking shots. 20 years ago corps directors would trash RAMD, DCP replaced RAMD, and it's never been anywhere as bad as RAMD was in it's heyday....but the stigma persists. 

The funny thing is...DCI or DCA....they trash DCP, but they know what's been said here.

I don't trash DCP or any of the drum corps groups. I feel they are valuable tools to gain insight into potential fans, supporters, and help grow a network of support for the corps.

This news is troubling and does give me some pause and I hope it's just this year. There are challenges with recruiting at times, especially with schools starting earlier and even marching band competitions starting. In Ohio, we have State Music competitions that now start labor day weekend which presents a barrier for membership for a lot of potential young, or even adult members. If you're an adult with kids; your kids are now in school so you can't leave for a few days to do DCA. If you're an HS student in a competition band you may have a competition and your director won't let you leave for DCA so you can't march. If you're a college student in a college band, it's less likely you'll be able to miss your first or second game for DCA; if you are in the OSU Band, you can't miss ANY games which cuts out students from the largest university. 

Been discussed.. there needs to be more activities like SoundSport or I and E where older people can participate or people with little time or budget at some contests. Get people doing. Of course this gets pooh-poohed... but you want people involved, maybe there needs to be more of this outside the traditional structures to keep some bodies in the activity. Not everyone is racing in NASCAR. Nor do they want to nor can some of them. But they can keep an SCCA club car in their garage and get it out a couple times a year and race.

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

Been discussed.. there needs to be more activities like SoundSport or I and E where older people can participate or people with little time or budget at some contests. Get people doing. Of course this gets pooh-poohed... but you want people involved, maybe there needs to be more of this outside the traditional structures to keep some bodies in the activity. Not everyone is racing in NASCAR. Nor do they want to nor can some of them. But they can keep an SCCA club car in their garage and get it out a couple times a year and race.

It was brought up again at the meeting this year. About creating 3 classes, including a class for groups between 20-30/35 to compete and still field a corps but it didn't get enough votes to pass. 

There were a lot of groups that were sitting at 25-30 consistently and were doing a mix of SDCA, and Soundsport that ceased operations eventually like Horizon, Rocketeers, Appalachian Sound, Thunder Brigade, Mon Valley Express, Indianapolis Ignition, and a many more. Some of them may have filled a competitive opportunity that allows them to get a full score while competing at a capable level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lcarlton said:

It was brought up again at the meeting this year. About creating 3 classes, including a class for groups between 20-30/35 to compete and still field a corps but it didn't get enough votes to pass. 

There were a lot of groups that were sitting at 25-30 consistently and were doing a mix of SDCA, and Soundsport that ceased operations eventually like Horizon, Rocketeers, Appalachian Sound, Thunder Brigade, Mon Valley Express, Indianapolis Ignition, and a many more. Some of them may have filled a competitive opportunity that allows them to get a full score while competing at a capable level.

Thinking small ensemble, smaller than that. Little or no drill, just play. For ratings, comment, people want numbers, give them. Pay to play. I know this is done once a year already, but it just sounds like there needs to be something where 12 or less people can put something solid together for a 5-7 minute performance and get people more involved. Maybe they're performing only for each other... but at least someone is PERFORMING. I'm not thinking about a more serious mini corps environ here. The Big Boy Brass performed at one of the NE indoor pre season concerts, something more along those lines.

I can buy a Snell 2015 helmet and go to an autocross in my Passat and do some low end performance driving. Pay the 15-20 buck entry fee and go wild for a few minutes. granted I may not do well because I'm not spending $$$ on sticky tires and an extra set of wheels but I'll have fun. Orient something towards participation at a grassroots level where one doesn't have to have a field to rehearse...nice unis….people bring their own horns or percussion, and one might have something.

Edited by BigW