Chops and MBI

On 5/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, MikeN said:

DCI's charter is pretty clear about them being a youth organization, and I've never really felt any momentum from their side to change that.  I just don't see them adding the grownups down the road.

I would tend to agree. The real question is, what can or will, DCI do to ensure the life of DCA? 

48 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would tend to agree. The real question is, what can or will, DCI do to ensure the life of DCA? 

Really, they have no real reason to do so if one wants to be callous about it. The people they get from DCA corps will just go to their Open Class units to train up for the World Class instead.

If only people would have listed to Gil silva in 2006 when he said this is exactly what was going to happen if 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ugh.  Not looking forward to that again.

i picked seats up top for a reason!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

that is a question I have asked. they can market far better, but how's the money going to be handled?

On 5/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, CorpsBuff said:

DCA has to find its identity. 

They needed to do that 15 years ago.  Instead, they have drifted toward just trying to follow DCI to places DCA cannot go.

The distinguishing attribute of senior/all-age corps has always been the talent and longevity of membership potentially available to their corps.  For some time, DCA had an identity that reflected that strength.  But now:

On 5/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, burdettsky said:

the activity has gotten extremely young, kind of like a DCI lite

And they saw it coming, too.  They embraced it.  Made it a recruiting strategy.  I think they even thought it through to the point of realizing that it would eventually drive away the older folks, especially when combined with trying to emulate DCI show design trends.

And yet, they still never dealt with the next inevitable side effect, which is:

On 5/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, gregory11 said:

As mentioned before the young kids rather march DCI with no Labor Day issues like you encounter with DCA.  

It is as if the entire circuit leadership has always been, and will always be, people from a localized Northeastern area with an atypically late-starting school schedule, whose only overriding strategy is to draw other corps into their Labor Day weekend program to make it seem like an event of national/worldwide scope.  They have spent 20 years coaxing corps from other regions into doing that, against their better interests.  Neither the schedule nor the travel worked well for them.  An incredible renaissance of all-age corps scattered all over the nation is now mostly burned out and gone.

What these corps needed was what the Northeast had - the option of a logical, satisfying season of events in their own region.  That was never part of the DCA agenda.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

They needed to do that 15 years ago.  Instead, they have drifted toward just trying to follow DCI to places DCA cannot go.

The distinguishing attribute of senior/all-age corps has always been the talent and longevity of membership potentially available to their corps.  For some time, DCA had an identity that reflected that strength.  But now:

And they saw it coming, too.  They embraced it.  Made it a recruiting strategy.  I think they even thought it through to the point of realizing that it would eventually drive away the older folks, especially when combined with trying to emulate DCI show design trends.

And yet, they still never dealt with the next inevitable side effect, which is:

It is as if the entire circuit leadership has always been, and will always be, people from a localized Northeastern area with an atypically late-starting school schedule, whose only overriding strategy is to draw other corps into their Labor Day weekend program to make it seem like an event of national/worldwide scope.  They have spent 20 years coaxing corps from other regions into doing that, against their better interests.  Neither the schedule nor the travel worked well for them.  An incredible renaissance of all-age corps scattered all over the nation is now mostly burned out and gone.

What these corps needed was what the Northeast had - the option of a logical, satisfying season of events in their own region.  That was never part of the DCA agenda.

here's the thing....more and more places in the northeast start prior to Labor Day, and have been in some places for a while....and that trend is only going to grow. Last year my school district started 8/21.....the one next to us 8/20.

and yes....the organization for the outside NE regions never seemed to be anywhere would it could have been

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

This this this.

Mike

• Like 1