Chops and MBI

On 7/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Fran Haring said:

3,000-3,500 that evening in North Carolina.

Yes, the ticket prices were an issue, no question... and so was the bad weather. And the local show crew there might not have quite yet been totally ready for prime time, when it came to hosting a show.

But attendance was bigger than some Finals crowds in Rochester, and the would-be venue for the I&E events was top notch, if championships had gone there... so I can't characterize it as a total failure, at all.

Imagine if DCA would have put thier weight (back then) behind finals in  WS NC how many they could have drawn. Compared to Rochesters dismal numbers. Too late now. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would tend to agree. The real question is, what can or will, DCI do to ensure the life of DCA? 

Nothing 

On 5/23/2019 at 8:14 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would tend to agree. The real question is, what can or will, DCI do to ensure the life of DCA? 

If anything happens it will not be DCI but WGI where the DCA corps land. As WGI has the weekend only model DCA needs for their groups.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:59 PM, Fred Windish said:

To address another poster, several years ago, there WAS a serious effort to move the event to Pittsburgh. Enough votes from the corps directors was secured. Shockingly, the day of the DCA meeting in New Jersey to formalize the vote, the local Pittsburgh organizing group failed to show-up!  No one knew what happened, so bid was awarded to Rochester.

This is very interesting.  I'm somewhat connected with the folks there and never heard of this.  time to dig....

3 hours ago, JohnZ said:

This is very interesting.  I'm somewhat connected with the folks there and never heard of this.  time to dig....

John -

The Pittsburgh championship bid proposal was quite a few years ago. Maybe mid 80s? The bid involved holding the event at the old Pitt Stadium. I was one of a small group of DCA reps involved in evaluating the possibility.

Our evaluation team included DCA President Mickey Petrone and about 7 others. We were given complimentary flights to Pittsburgh to look everything over. We went on different flights and gathered at a hotel about a mile from the airport. Back then, Pittsburgh was still the home of USAir who I assume donated the tickets in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Convention & Visitors Bureau who spoke to the group and presented written materials. A charter bus picked us up at the hotel and drove everyone around touring stadium facilities and other logistical areas.

I don't remember the names of the local people making the bid. Sadly, DCA's Mickey Petrone, Bob Glovna, Bob Murray, and John Laskowski are now deceased. Can't recall the others in our group.

Back then, 6 votes from the 10 voting corps were required to win the bid. Six votes were secured (verbally) before the official meeting in Newark to be held a few weeks later.  As stated, no one from the Pittsburgh organizing team showed up to formally win the bid. The incentives we were aware of were good, and the event was expected to move there. Even Petrone had no idea what went wrong!

If you do find out what happened . . . . please let us know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

John -

The Pittsburgh championship bid proposal was quite a few years ago. Maybe mid 80s? The bid involved holding the event at the old Pitt Stadium. I was one of a small group of DCA reps involved in evaluating the possibility.

Our evaluation team included DCA President Mickey Petrone and about 7 others. We were given complimentary flights to Pittsburgh to look everything over. We went on different flights and gathered at a hotel about a mile from the airport. Back then, Pittsburgh was still the home of USAir who I assume donated the tickets in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Convention & Visitors Bureau who spoke to the group and presented written materials. A charter bus picked us up at the hotel and drove everyone around touring stadium facilities and other logistical areas.

I don't remember the names of the local people making the bid. Sadly, DCA's Mickey Petrone, Bob Glovna, Bob Murray, and John Laskowski are now deceased. Can't recall the others in our group.

Back then, 6 votes from the 10 voting corps were required to win the bid. Six votes were secured (verbally) before the official meeting in Newark to be held a few weeks later.  As stated, no one from the Pittsburgh organizing team showed up to formally win the bid. The incentives we were aware of were good, and the event was expected to move there. Even Petrone had no idea what went wrong!

If you do find out what happened . . . . please let us know!

well I got an answer but it is one of those situations where it may be best to sit and ponder, and maybe wait for a little more.

I was on the SCA BOD in the mid 80s and do recall strong talk about putting in a proposal headed by our alumni 'White Hat' organization.  Really can't recall ever hearing the outcome though. Pitt would have been a great venue, a bowl full of sound, but I'm not sure how the logistics of getting corps in and out of that area would have worked....oh well....

9 hours ago, JohnZ said:

well I got an answer but it is one of those situations where it may be best to sit and ponder, and maybe wait for a little more.

I was on the SCA BOD in the mid 80s and do recall strong talk about putting in a proposal headed by our alumni 'White Hat' organization.  Really can't recall ever hearing the outcome though. Pitt would have been a great venue, a bowl full of sound, but I'm not sure how the logistics of getting corps in and out of that area would have worked....oh well....

That sounds....ominous lol