Chops and MBI

40 minutes ago, BigW said:

Thinking small ensemble, smaller than that. Little or no drill, just play. For ratings, comment, people want numbers, give them. Pay to play. I know this is done once a year already, but it just sounds like there needs to be something where 12 or less people can put something solid together for a 5-7 minute performance and get people more involved. Maybe they're performing only for each other... but at least someone is PERFORMING. I'm not thinking about a more serious mini corps environ here. The Big Boy Brass performed at one of the NE indoor pre season concerts, something more along those lines.

I can buy a Snell 2015 helmet and go to an autocross in my Passat and do some low end performance driving. Pay the 15-20 buck entry fee and go wild for a few minutes. granted I may not do well because I'm not spending $$$ on sticky tires and an extra set of wheels but I'll have fun. Orient something towards participation at a grassroots level where one doesn't have to have a field to rehearse...nice unis….people bring their own horns or percussion, and one might have something.

I'm on the other side of this.. having done the small pay to pay thing, it's nice but it still leaves the mid level 20-30 person ensembles without a means to grow, and/or foster the development of new field groups. I'm discussing a bridge to entertainment and growth if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, lcarlton said:

I don't trash DCP or any of the drum corps groups. I feel they are valuable tools to gain insight into potential fans, supporters, and help grow a network of support for the corps.

This news is troubling and does give me some pause and I hope it's just this year. There are challenges with recruiting at times, especially with schools starting earlier and even marching band competitions starting. In Ohio, we have State Music competitions that now start labor day weekend which presents a barrier for membership for a lot of potential young, or even adult members. If you're an adult with kids; your kids are now in school so you can't leave for a few days to do DCA. If you're an HS student in a competition band you may have a competition and your director won't let you leave for DCA so you can't march. If you're a college student in a college band, it's less likely you'll be able to miss your first or second game for DCA; if you are in the OSU Band, you can't miss ANY games which cuts out students from the largest university. 

it's a collective statement, not a one person specific. I appreciate your participation here. 

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Been discussed.. there needs to be more activities like SoundSport or I and E where older people can participate or people with little time or budget at some contests. Get people doing. Of course this gets pooh-poohed... but you want people involved, maybe there needs to be more of this outside the traditional structures to keep some bodies in the activity. Not everyone is racing in NASCAR. Nor do they want to nor can some of them. But they can keep an SCCA club car in their garage and get it out a couple times a year and race.

you mean like Mini Corps? thats been there for forever?

Problem is, it costs money to move those groups too. Do people truly want to pay to see it? Remember, the 35 rule was put in place because paying customers complained to hosts about paying to see smaller groups. granted, quality of those groups was an unspoken factor in that, but.....would it draw? Mini Corps was Soundsport 20+ years before there was Soundsport

• Like 1

Let get to the heart of the matter with both corps that resides in Minnesota, when River City Rhythm came on the scene, recruiting options change for drum corps in this state.   last year RRR marched over a 100 members.  I'm expected them to march close to a full size corps this summer.  This corps has come a long way since only being around for a couple years.   As mentioned before the young kids rather march DCI with no Labor Day issues like you encounter with DCA.  I hope both Chops and MNB find a way to hang in there.  No official announcement has been made by either corps about summer 2019.  Once again I hope both corps continue because we need both. Take care.

Not blaming this on WGI. However some corps wait until after WGI to start full corps camps. If you have 2 or 3 weeks of camp you can get your show together by June and field a good corps. With DCA a lot of corps start at little later. If they were to have their champs say 2nd weekend in Aug. They would not be very clean. From what I have seen DCA corps make vast improvements from DCI finals until Labor  Day.  An earlier day for finals would mean that corps would have to start rehearsal earlier, also most shows would have to be ready by Memorial day if they wanted a season longer than 6 weeks. At one time reinforcements from DCI were needed to get DCA corps to finals, with an earlier final DCA would lose that, however I don't think that is nearly as large a group as it was a few years back.

Go back to three man squads.

Color pre.

Start on the left "off the line".

Concert piece.

G BUGLES!

Leave via the right side of the field.

It's not rocket science.  Within two years the stands would be full.  So would the horn lines and drum lines.

Try it.  If it doesn't work in two years....fold.

Probably going to fold anyways if they keep going this way.

1 hour ago, cmhs59 said:

Color pre.

Concert piece.

G BUGLES!

It's not rocket science.  Within two years the stands would be full.  So would the horn lines and drum lines.

I enjoyed all the stuff you mentioned... still enjoy listening  to the corps from those eras.

But the "within two years the stands will be full" thing... I respectfully disagree. I simply do not see that happening, at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmhs59 said:

Color pre.

Concert piece.

G BUGLES!

I'll have what you're drinking😳😳😬🤐

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I enjoyed all the stuff you mentioned... still enjoy listening  to the corps from those eras.

But the "within two years the stands will be full" thing... I respectfully disagree. I simply do not see that happening, at all.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

In two years they wouldn't even need stands!😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cmhs59 said:

Color pre.

Concert piece.

G BUGLES!

kids don't want to do that stuff

• Like 3