Pioneer coming to DCA???

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Both are separate entities. If one would suspend a given organization, in theory, the other might find nothing wrong and extend rights to compete, etc.

Now, when common sense kicks in here... One would like, no LOVE to believe that the decision makers in the other group would say, well, there was a good reason they suspended them, and we'd better take a good, hard look at these people and go through things with a VERY fine toothed comb (maybe a flea comb) before we just open our door of hospitality to them.

DCA dodged a bullet last year with the Hopkins stuff, as YEA removed him before DCI shut them down. DCA never had to face that decision head on.

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Which has caused a lot of people to think about things for quite awhile. I have been wondering why they haven't figured out some way to divest themselves and hand it over to responsible and capable individuals smoothly and quickly for some time. The only reasonable answer is that there's some skeleton in some closet or fear that someone will discover something somewhere they don't realize might be construed as wrong or inept.

I know that might not be nice as per some of RB's posts to stop picking on him, but...look- I have no dog in the fight except to see groups managed ethically, competently, and for the kids to be treated right.  Right now, THAT is why I'm not so nice and rather skeptical. After years of some of this going on and everyone kind of looking the other way and sadly shrugging their shoulders...

it's not a skeleton...it's ownership. the line between Blenski and Pioneer on paper is so thing, there's almost no way to separate it

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not a skeleton...it's ownership. the line between Blenski and Pioneer on paper is so thing, there's almost no way to separate it

When one has something that long and is that afraid or unwilling to know when it's time to pass it to other people...and obviously has had NO exit plan to pass the torch to someone who is not a relative, I find it unsettling.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA dodged a bullet last year with the Hopkins stuff, as YEA removed him before DCI shut them down. DCA never had to face that decision head on.

And IMHO they dodged another big one as well this season that they well might have had to deal with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Essentially correct.  It is not literally ownership, as Pioneer is a non-profit.  But whenever the entire board of directors allows one person to have total control, that one person is free to act as if he is the owner.

10 hours ago, BigW said:

When one has something that long and is that afraid or unwilling to know when it's time to pass it to other people...and obviously has had NO exit plan to pass the torch to someone who is not a relative, I find it unsettling.

the problem is they don't see they did anything bad enough to merit what they got. The level of denial is staggering

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigW said:

And IMHO they dodged another big one as well this season that they well might have had to deal with.

yeah they have been avoiding that one for years

• Thanks 1

I stopped by Pioneerland this past weekend and learned they have put out a parade corps based on percussion and guard.  They have hopes of getting a brass line together later in the summer.

Big Daddy B was still there and it appears he has no intentions of leaving.  However, Parade Corps may be the way to go for Pioneer.

2 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I stopped by Pioneerland this past weekend and learned they have put out a parade corps based on percussion and guard.  They have hopes of getting a brass line together later in the summer.

Big Daddy B was still there and it appears he has no intentions of leaving.  However, Parade Corps may be the way to go for Pioneer.

I think for the foreseeable future, that makes sense until changes can actually be affected.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is they don't see they did anything bad enough to merit what they got. The level of denial is staggering

This is the crux of it, and yes the level of denial is indeed staggering.

One has a group in an organization with various rules by-laws, and regulations. What bothers me about all of this was when DCI made public online the Code of Conduct and Ethics, it was extremely, crystal clear about what would happen if anyone were to discourage corps members from reporting. I noted that the first time I read it. If I immediately understood what that meant, I really have to wonder if RB read the blasted document or felt he was above it, and to make it worse, it's clear that the family members on the BoD didn't read it nor did they really appraise him and clarify to him what he could and could not do, nor rein him in when he got stupid.

For God's sake, if TWO Bari players can read the thing and get it....(Jim and I...) it's NOT that hard.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1