Drum finishes 2019

#gottalovesparkle!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, Triple Forte said:

Hey folks here it is the annual what are the drums going to look like  this season topic

post away 😊

So anything else out there? we have The Cadets but that’s it 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Oh yeah. The old Ludwig Vistalite drums. We had some in high school in the early 80's (green because we were the Notre Dame Fighting Irish) and for a short time I even had a little Vistalite "Jellybean" drum kit. The problem with them was that as tensions started to get higher (granted this was pre-kevlar heads,) we would try to double hoop them and the shells would collapse. Plus they usually sounded like you were playing a 15" oil can. I think the only thing that maybe sounded worse were the Corders drums we had at Bama. 

35fd3ca18528d0f8717a17e6e3bdb296--drumme

I prefer the Slingerland TDR's myself.

4 minutes ago, bandguy78 said:

Troop looks great!

Is that a blue oyster marine pearl I see? If so that's freakin' smokin' hot. 

Just now, boxingfred said:

I prefer the Slingerland TDR's myself.

Oh absolutely. The TDR was a great drum for it's time. Once the mid to late 80s hit things got more even across the board. Pearl had the criterion, Yammy had the field corps and premier had the resonator. The ludwigs were ok but they were just too #### heavy and I know we had trouble keeping them tuned up. Changing the gut to aviator cables helped a little though since they couldn't stretch in the heat. Sometimes you would pull them off the trailer and throw the strainer up and the guts were a few milimeters away from where they were when you cased the drum. 

Then came Kevlar and my hands started to look like gnarled tree limbs after about a year of ritualistic drum punishment. 

Wouldn't change any of it for the world.

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Love me sky blue (or steel grey) ripple, hard to tell with the filter on the image. 

Reminds me of that blue and black oyster pearl back in 70's and 80's. The lines are just less defined. I was lucky enough to get a hold of a bunch of large fleck white pearl drum covering from Slingerland about 20+ years ago and am holding onto it for a special kit. It was so different from the Ludwig pearl.