2019 Phantom Regiment A New Direction...

Alright, Phans and Alumni, after having a chance to listen to Phantoms song choice for the 2019 season I'd like to discuss the show's potential and Phantoms future.   

While many of us are disappointed with Phantoms placements in the past few years I think done properly this has the potential to be Phantoms best show ever and could be a New Direction for the corp...

Much of this music is more in the vein of the Cavaliers or past Cadets top shows with a modern feel.  (Something I've been wanting from Phantom for a long time)

I picture much of the music melding with a Cavalier /Cadet approach to drill and a set design much like Carolina / Cavaliers.

I realize much of this has already been created but If I had the talent this is the direction I'd like to see this and future shows take.  I have the vision but not the expertise.

Carmina Burana:  Preshow entrance

I see the corp off the field with a chorus of singers staged with mics in front singing them on to the field.  Once in their positions, the entire corp joins the chorus and then the horn line takes over.

Audivi Media Nocte: As I mentioned earlier this aggressive piece reminds me of the Cavaliers and the Cadets.  The drill should be frantic and should only be precise at impact points.  This has some beautiful place for solo work and will allow the corp to show how technical they can be.  (This could be a new direction for Phantoms shows moving forward.)

Zohar:  I'm really not sure how this piece fits into the show.  I expect this to be very brief until they move into the fire of eternal glory.

Fire Of Eternal Glory: One of the most powerful and beautiful songs Phantom has ever done.  This has to be as good or better than the 1993 version or it will impact the show in a very negative way.  Bring the beauty and power and sell the hell out of it and the crowd will be yours.

Lady Macbeth: Back to a frantic drill and a great place for Trombones to show off.  The storyline must be told in a clear and concise manner.  The Audience should never have to work to understand the story.  It looks like we're going back to 2008.

Vox Populi: The battle cry for the show, Phantoms comeback, and the new direction for Phantoms future?  The drill, set design, and color guard will have to carry the corp.  I would love to see a drill that matches the energy from the song.  Will this be Phantoms new direction in show design or will this be a one hit wonder?

Unleashed: How to end the show with an ending so tragic?  Phantom must bring back the power and beauty that was once their carrying card.  Question is, does Phantom really believe in the show????  The way I look at it...If I don't believe every moment of this show you haven't convinced me and you won't convince the audience.

An enormous funeral pyre must be built!

I want to believe! 

Edited by Phantombari1

30 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

Alright, Phans and Alumni, after having a chance to listen to Phantoms song choice for the 2019 season I'd like to discuss the show's potential and Phantoms future.   

While many of us are disappointed with Phantoms placements in the past few years I think done properly this has the potential to be Phantoms best show ever and could be a New Direction for the corp...

Much of this music is more in the vein of the Cavaliers or past Cadets top shows with a modern feel.  (Something I've been wanting from Phantom for a long time)

I picture much of the music melding with a Cavalier /Cadet approach to drill and a set design much like Carolina / Cavaliers.

I realize much of this has already been created but If I had the talent this is the direction I'd like to see this and future shows take.  I have the vision but not the expertise.

I see the corp off the field with a chorus of singers staged with mics in front singing them on to the field.  Once in their positions, the entire corp joins the chorus and then the horn line takes over.

Audivi Media Nocte: As I mentioned earlier this aggressive piece reminds me of the Cavaliers and the Cadets.  The drill should be frantic and should only be precise at impact points.  This has some beautiful place for solo work and will allow the corp to show how technical they can be.  (This could be a new direction for Phantoms shows moving forward.)

Zohar:  I'm really not sure how this piece fits into the show.  I expect this to be very brief until they move into the fire of eternal glory.

Fire Of Eternal Glory: One of the most powerful and beautiful songs Phantom has ever done.  This has to be as good or better than the 1993 version or it will impact the show in a very negative way.  Bring the beauty and power and sell the hell out of it and the crowd will be yours.

Lady Macbeth: Back to a frantic drill and a great place for Trombones to show off.  The storyline must be told in a clear and concise manner.  The Audience should never have to work to understand the story.  It looks like we're going back to 2008.

Vox Populi: The battle cry for the show, Phantoms comeback, and the new direction for Phantoms future?  The drill, set design, and color guard will have to carry the corp.  I would love to see a drill that matches the energy from the song.  Will this be Phantoms new direction in show design or will this be a one hit wonder?

Unleashed: How to end the show with an ending so tragic?  Phantom must bring back the power and beauty that was once their carrying card.  Question is, does Phantom really believe in the show????  The way I look at it...If I don't believe every moment of this show you haven't convinced me and you won't convince the audience.

I want to believe! 

Your second paragraph caught my eye. I was disappointed in their design choices, not their placement. I’m still a phan but they placed right where they belonged last season. Well, maybe a place higher than they belonged. I really want to love them again but I’ve grown skeptical. 

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Your second paragraph caught my eye. I was disappointed in their design choices, not their placement. I’m still a phan but they placed right where they belonged last season. Well, maybe a place higher than they belonged. I really want to love them again but I’ve grown skeptical. 

talking with others who all presumed Carmina Burana would re-appear in a re-prise to close the show, funeral pyre and all.

To me, it would have to be a very well-conditioned, mature horn line to keep that energy and tempos the piece inspires.  A quiet, slow dissolve is nothing like the vita of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc.

By coincidence, her feast day is May 30e. The French parliament, on June 24, 1920, decreed a yearly national festival in her honor; this is held the second Sunday in May which is about when Regiment began their Spring Training. If they miss the feast later this week, they could always practice with all those birthday candles on the cake of their corps mgr., 6/7. "Let them eat cake" led to a guillotine, however.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

I want to believe! 

I mentioned this elsewhere... Lady MacBeth as the only woman named in the musical pieces... odd choice in a show seemingly about noble, brave women.  She was a monster.

We can't judge the pieces until we see how it is put together. Brass band work very good... others not so sure.

Yeah Lady Macbeth doesn’t work. Better to use all Joans. Joan of Arc. Joan Crawford. Joan Rivers. Joan Harris (Mad Men).