Blue Stars 2019

5 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Piggy backing off of last year with a 2 point jump over phantom. Clean the feet and clean the drill. That's the key to how high the show can go. 

Great show, Stars!

not trying to troll, just making conversation...

While I see a ton of potential, I was underwhelmed from the Premiere. Obvious performance issues which will get better, surely. But I couldn't shake the 'trying too hard' vibe from the design. It just felt like a million wintery/snowy/northern ideas smashed into a show (I'm totally aware that much of the show design in the activity is just that...).

Favorite element of the show is all the cool drill moments.

With that being said, I think this show will grow on me, as most blue stars shows do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Some very difficult drill demand that will take some time to clean, but fun to watch.  Nice brass sound as always with some pretty tasty licks!

I noticed a lot of members seemed to be tripping over their own feet. Can’t help but wonder how those fur boot lining things around their calves may be affecting their marching. I’m betting they will be wearing those in rehearsal.

1 hour ago, KCWolfPck said:

Wow!  Some very difficult drill demand that will take some time to clean, but fun to watch.  Nice brass sound as always with some pretty tasty licks!

I noticed a lot of members seemed to be tripping over their own feet. Can’t help but wonder how those fur boot lining things around their calves may be affecting their marching. I’m betting they will be wearing those in rehearsal.

Same style as last year's yellow boots going over the shoe. I think it's just uncomfortable with the tempo, technique, and demand for drill. All will fix itself!

3 hours ago, KCWolfPck said:

The reason they were tripping is because there was a dropped drum stick which several members were tripping over and trying to pick up!!!  With this paced drill, any dropped equipment is an extremely dangerous  hazard.  Talk about safety of judges, what about the safety of the kids.  when the judges were allowed to go on the field and judge, one of the things they often did is pick up dropped equipment.  Now that they are relegated to the sidelines, dropped plumes, sticks etc... will just sit out there for the kids to trip over.

Also, i am aware its a newly resurfaced field and several corps were complaining about it being sticky 

Edited by brians

So last night.  

I really like the bones of this one, I think there is a lot of room to add and develop, but I don’t think anything needs big rewrites.  Just clean and evolve.   

The sound this brassline has developed is something else.  As soon as the started playing I was floored.  I love how they approach percussion as well, some really tasteful writing and playing.  And the guard has some amazing moments as always.  Not surprised they opened up about as strong as they ever have post 2010.   

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!  The closer is gonna be something special.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

So last night.  

I really like the bones of this one, I think there is a lot of room to add and develop, but I don’t think anything needs big rewrites.  Just clean and evolve.   

The sound this brassline has developed is something else.  As soon as the started playing I was floored.  I love how they approach percussion as well, some really tasteful writing and playing.  And the guard has some amazing moments as always.  Not surprised they opened up about as strong as they ever have post 2010.   

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!  The closer is gonna be something special.   

When do we start guessing about the new ending we know will come lol

9 hours ago, ComeHomeShane said:

not trying to troll, just making conversation...

While I see a ton of potential, I was underwhelmed from the Premiere. Obvious performance issues which will get better, surely. But I couldn't shake the 'trying too hard' vibe from the design. It just felt like a million wintery/snowy/northern ideas smashed into a show (I'm totally aware that much of the show design in the activity is just that...).

Favorite element of the show is all the cool drill moments.

With that being said, I think this show will grow on me, as most blue stars shows do. 

If you have only seen this show in the theatre you are missing a lot. Even in person you can miss much on first viewing, especially with the great field coverage. i have seen this show more than a dozen times live, and every time I see several new things. The parts fit together very well IMHO. Glad y'all are giving it a chance. 🙂

• Like 2