podcast: drum corps

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

wat is DCAK

I think they are talking about the Drum Corp AF podcast...not sure how that became dcak.

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh for ####’s sake.  I haven’t read every single comment on that  subject thread but what I’ve seen hasn’t been overtly critical.  Alumni have voiced their opinions, too.  We’re having constructive conversation.  It’s healthy.  

Trying to silence people is not a solution to any problem.   That’s what they attempt to do on the other side of the activity.  It doesn’t change anything and the future is not all sunshine and roses over there. 

it's not just on here...it's on twitter, reddit, facebook...basically anywhere.

here's why i like DCAF and why when asked, I agreed to contribute:

they use their real names. oh i laugh at Drunk Corps, but they don't use their real names. John's an alum, we marched the same era, and Nicholas is out there doing it now. They have some fun ( friends don't let friends march BD), but they give praise where need be too. They don;t just rip people's #### for the hell of it.They don't avoid the controversial topics, nor do they use it as a tool to push their own personal businesses. I do give props for Drunk Corps creating the scholarships, which I think was great. I think they handed out 4 or 5 to kids.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

here's why i like DCAF and why when asked, I agreed to contribute:

they use their real names. oh i laugh at Drunk Corps, but they don't use their real names. John's an alum, we marched the same era, and Nicholas is out there doing it now. They have some fun ( friends don't let friends march BD), but they give praise where need be too. They don;t just rip people's #### for the hell of it.They don't avoid the controversial topics, nor do they use it as a tool to push their own personal businesses. I do give props for Drunk Corps creating the scholarships, which I think was great. I think they handed out 4 or 5 to kids.

I agree. Yes, they are snarky, but I like snark. They give honest opinions with a sense of humor and they welcome criticism, even if it is “tedious.” I am perfectly fine with them. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tedrick said:

well - I know there is some work involved, but DCP is missing out on an easy opportunity -

I think a podcast rotating between the top 12 posters or profile scores would be fun.

the host and 2 or 3 guests talk for 15 minutes about latest issues on DCP and what's going down on the tour and the the 2nd 15 minutes is twitter questions or submitted questions/topics from dcp -- participation is based on dcp score or popular threads/posts --

A good podcast gets ad sponsors which equals $$$ --

I'd add Twitch streaming to that as well.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I agree. Yes, they are snarky, but I like snark. They give honest opinions with a sense of humor and welcome criticism, even if it is tedious. I am perfectly fine with them. 

DCAF is no different from sitting in the stands at a show.

Funny thing is, the last several years at Allentown, you know where the most biting commentary came from?

Kids of marching age. Not disgruntled old people

• Like 2

Whew boy ... so I listened to Marching Roundtable’s podcast #805. I have waited more than the recommended ten minutes after I formed an opinion to start composing this post.

I believe Tim and Byron have good intentions in speaking out about harsh or negative opinions about show design. However, I cringed when Byron said some of these opinions should not be expressed. In context, he was referring to mean spirited, uneducated opinions, but still, I found that troubling. (For full context, I will refer you to about 17:25 of the podcast.) And I bristle at the notion that we are uneducated. Many of us have been involved in the design process at various points of our lives.

They certainly empathized with the show designers who put their work on the field which makes them vulnerable. On the other hand being vulnerable makes them vulnerable to criticism, which is what happens on social media and other podcasts. It is the nature of things.

Personally, I try to stay positive. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes I get irritated about some comments, but I do not agree with the idea of censoring others which I think is what this podcast is advocating.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Whew boy ... so I listened to Marching Roundtable’s podcast #805. Sometimes I get irritated about some comments, but I do not agree with the idea of censoring others which I think is what this podcast is advocating.

Round table should sit in on conversations with Stephan, Ramon, Lucas and me. OMG we can be pretty brutal at times. It’s never about the cast members, but we do speak our minds about design, props and costumes. Of course we have our own ideas on flamboyance and full expression. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3