podcast: drum corps

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Whew boy ... so I listened to Marching Roundtable’s podcast #805. I have waited more than the recommended ten minutes after I formed an opinion to start composing this post.

I believe Tim and Byron have good intentions in speaking out about harsh or negative opinions about show design. However, I cringed when Byron said some of these opinions should not be expressed. In context, he was referring mean spirited uneducated opinions, but still, I found that troubling. (For full context, I will refer you to about 17:25 of the podcast.) And I bristle at the notion that we are uneducated. Many of us have been involved in the design process at various points of our lives.

They certainly empathized with the show designers who put their work on the field which makes them vulnerable. On the other hand being vulnerable makes them vulnerable to criticism, which is what happens on social media and other podcasts. It is the nature of things.

Personally, I try to stay positive. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes I get irritated about some comments, but I do not agree with the idea of censoring others which I think is what this podcast is advocating.

I try to always be positive, too. I’m not a negative person.  But....censoring opinions really pushes a button with me.  Especially when I’ve heard some pretty #### good solutions to problems from people expressing their opinions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I try to always be positive, too. I’m not a negative person.  But....censoring opinions really pushes a button with me.  Especially when I’ve heard some pretty #### good solutions to problems from people expressing their opinions. 

It was funny to me that when I was listening to Marching Round Table’s podcast about expressing opinions, I was taking one of my dogs to the vet to have her anal glands expressed.

Sometimes opinions and dogs can be smelly.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

the thing that got me was the tired "the kids" defense.

if the kids didn't want to do it, they wouldn't do it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the thing that got me was the tired "the kids" defense.

if the kids didn't want to do it, they wouldn't do it.

I know ... I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that bit of reasoning.

When I marched eons ago, 27th was having problems with the very end of Danny Boy (we tried to slide the entire company front after rotating it). It was pretty messy. So some of us in the corps talked about what we would do to fix the problem. We didn’t moan about how that part of the show was being criticized. We knew there was a problem and we thought we knew better than the program coordinator. In the end, the problem was fixed not by the members but by the show designer — George Zingali. No one is above criticism.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

When I marched eons ago, 27th was having problems with the very end of Danny Boy (we tried to slide the entire company front after rotating it). It was pretty messy. So some of us in the corps talked about what we would do to fix the problem. We didn’t moan about how that part of the show was being criticized. We knew there was a problem and we thought we knew better than the program coordinator. In the end, the problem was fixed not by the members but by the show designer — George Zingali. No one is above criticism.

We were bold little dickens back then, weren’t we?  😂 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We were bold little dickens back then, weren’t we?  😂 

More like arrogant little ####s! 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

kids know. every generation of marching member has heard criticisms of show design, style, performance etc. Kids themselves trash stuff. trying to protect them like precious flowers isn't gonna happen cause they're worse than us. Read Reddit

• Like 3

I think there is nothing wrong with having different spaces to talk about Drum Corps. If you want nuance, educated c-span like "everything is awesome" like talk, marching roundtable is your podcast. Want brutal,crude, honest and yet an entertaining type podcasts about drum corps, then Drunk Corps or DCAF is the place for it.

We are all different peeps from different places that all love the activity. Can't help if we consume different types of podcasts.

Has DCP not demonstrated to us that we all have different opinions and different ways of expressing it, so why would it be any different in the podcast medium.

I listen to all of them, if I see some topics that are not of interest, I move on, if not I'll listen. Censorship to me is crossing the line. People should have a choice. 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

I think there is nothing wrong with having different spaces to talk about Drum Corps. If you want nuance, educated c-span like "everything is awesome" like talk, marching roundtable is your podcast. Want brutal,crude, honest and yet an entertaining type podcasts about drum corps, then Drunk Corps or DCAF is the place for it.

We are all different peeps from different places that all love the activity. Can't help if we consume different types of podcasts.

Has DCP not demonstrated to us that we all have different opinions and different ways of expressing it, so why would it be any different in the podcast medium.

I listen to all of them, if I see some topics that are not of interest, I move on, if not I'll listen. Censorship to me is crossing the line. People should have a choice. 

good points -

I've really gotten into the Souhan/Russo Minnesota Wild podcast this past hockey season - it's fun to hear talk about the the team/players but also gain a bit of perspective of the characters involved on the teams - 

A DCP podcast could be a lot of fun in the sense that you would hear fellow DCP members in their own words and get a bit of a sense for their backgrounds -- 

I agree -- roundtable is probably good (I've just subscribed) but too polly-anna --- DCAF is on the entire opposite side of the spectrum -- 

My proposal for a DCP podcast would be for people to maintain their anonymity and use their screen names if they want to -- no doxing --

• Like 1