podcast: drum corps

I have no problem with folks who like or dislike any of the current podcasts. It's nice that there are a few different podcasts coming at the activity from various standpoint. I will listen to all of them, because I like drumcorps and there is limited content out there.

That said, it's difficult to take drumcorps AF and drunkcorps seriously when they clearly don't entirely understand what they are talking about. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but when the hosts make errors in who played what when, don't know who designs some of the show's they are making fun of, etc it's hard to take them seriously.

Knowing that the hosts of drumcorps AF are a Bluecoats alumni and a current staff member of Music City, I have a lesser opinion of those two organizations.

Z

• Thanks 2

Hello group,

Followed the discussion here about podcasts and decided to do a search to see what I could find. My favorite from the past was Drum Corps History Podcast by Ron Allard aka Diceman Radio. It appears that he has retired but he still has about 75 links at his site dicemanradio.com/dhp/ covering the following corps;

Archives
27th Lancers, Anaheim Kingsmen, Appleknockers, Archer-Epler Musketeers, Argonne Rebels, Belleville Black Knights, Blessed Sac, Blue Rock. Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Bon Bons, Boston Crusaders, Boys of 76, Bridgemen, Cadets LaSalle, Casper Troopers. Chicago Cavaliers, Chicago Royal Airs, Colts, Connecticut Hurricanes, Crossmen, DCI, De La Salle, Oaklands, Des Plaines Vanguard, Drum Corps Associates, Empire Statesmen, Geneseo Knights, Glassmen, Hawthorne Caballeros, Hawthorne Muchachos, Hormel Girls, Jersey Joes, Kingston Grenadiers, Long Island Sunrisers, Lt. Norman Princemen, Madison Scouts, Minnesota Brass Inc, New York Skyliners, News, North Star, Norwood Park Imperials, OLD School, Phantom Regiment, Pittsburgh Rockets, Podcasts, Racine Scouts, Reading Buccaneers, Rhode Island Matadors, Rochester Crusaders, Schaumburg Guardsmen, Seattle Imperials, Skokie Indians, Sky Ryders, Spirit of Atlanta, St. Kevin's, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Paul Scouts, St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers, St. Rita's Brassmen, St. Vincent's, Star of Indiana. Steel City Ambassadors, Suncoast Sound, The 80s, Toronto Optimists, Vasella Musketeers, Westshoremen, Yankee Rebels. Each episode is approximately 25 minutes long and gives a little history of each corps with some audio clips.

Also found his clips on his youtube channel - Drumcorps History Podcast by Ron Allard
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLORq_g5H5Fddjc__xglz8fIVqupMBDLn2 

Last updated on May 20, 2019

Found another podcast started Last season by a 14 year old drum corps superfan called "Drum Corps Central: A Podcast" and he does an OK job. He has started this season, plans to do season previews for all World Class corps. and so far he has 5 episodes posted. If you want to see his work, go to his YouTube channel, Drum Corps Central.
Drum Corps Central
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfcUS6XnmRUSMwn02o086ug

Hope He stays with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MikeZ said:

I have no problem with folks who like or dislike any of the current podcasts. It's nice that there are a few different podcasts coming at the activity from various standpoint. I will listen to all of them, because I like drumcorps and there is limited content out there.

That said, it's difficult to take drumcorps AF and drunkcorps seriously when they clearly don't entirely understand what they are talking about. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but when the hosts make errors in who played what when, don't know who designs some of the show's they are making fun of, etc it's hard to take them seriously.

Knowing that the hosts of drumcorps AF are a Bluecoats alumni and a current staff member of Music City, I have a lesser opinion of those two organizations.

Z

so if I go on a Facebook rant about the Dallas Cowboys offense, because I have never played, you think less of me and any group I may have been affiliated with?

They've never claimed to be experts, they claim to be fans. The listeners and members of the AF social pages point out corrections all the time, and they thank us. Nicholas is far newer to drum corps than John is, so he doesn't know a lot of the history past where he marched. John doesn't know a lot of the 70-s 80's stuff. Sorry if that lack of knowledge since they talk so little about it makes you think they aren't good.

Case in Point...John was recently going to do some history stuff for his alma mater, and needed an inspection sheet. I went online, as did he, and was able to hook him up with one so he could show the kids. he was amazed, and glad he finally got to see at least that that contest sponsor was looking for at inspection.

You don't know everything about drum corps, not do I and I don't think any less of you or where you marched, and I hope you don't do the same here despite I have more posts here than anything. If I have any negative feelings about any posters here, it's only because they ### holes

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

It's okay for folks to have their own opinion about anything...but if those opinions are supported by incorrect or blatantly false facts, I'm just going to roll my eyes and go on. 

I feel both drumcorps af and drunkcorps are the Barstool Sports of drumcorps. They claim to be "real" or have "hot takes" that DCI or DCP can't handle, but what they really are is mean spirited and immature. I think there is a wide gap between Marching Roundtable and drumcorps af. Wide enough that I wish there was content to fill that void. As of now there is not...so I will continue to listen to all of these shows. I still feel that a bad drumcorps podcast is better than no drumcorps podcast.

Z

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

It's okay for folks to have their own opinion about anything...but if those opinions are supported by incorrect or blatantly false facts, I'm just going to roll my eyes and go on. 

I feel both drumcorps af and drunkcorps are the Barstool Sports of drumcorps. They claim to be "real" or have "hot takes" that DCI or DCP can't handle, but what they really are is mean spirited and immature. I think there is a wide gap between Marching Roundtable and drumcorps af. Wide enough that I wish there was content to fill that void. As of now there is not...so I will continue to listen to all of these shows. I still feel that a bad drumcorps podcast is better than no drumcorps podcast.

Z

you must roll your eyes all day long here, watching the news, reading books, etc. then.

DrunkCorps is the out of control college frat party IMO

• Like 1