2019 Uniforms

2 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Reply to East9900 Posted 6/6/3019

That left shoulder thing that goes into the blue sleeve seems similar to what Blue Devils have done with their uniforms.

I have to say, some of the uniform designs I like but this has to be a huge expense for each corps for the sake of having some particular look to fit with the theme of a show.

I'm sure this has been hashed over many times, but I still prefer a single uniform as part of the identity of a corps like SCV's red jacket and white pants, Madison's Scout uniform, The Cadets/Garfield cream, gold and maroon, Cavaliers green, etc.

Call me old school, but I think a lot of this is Michael Cesario's doing as a Visual designer and consultant.

Digital unis aren't that big of an expense.  (I have firsthand knowledge of this.)  Even down at our end of the DCI budget pyramid, it's way down the list of costs.

Mike

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

-  every corps would drop costuming entirely and spend all that saved money on juggling otters on unicycles or something.

Except when you factor in that some Corps staffers and DCI Consultants have ties to uniform manufacturers., When seen thru this prism, the focus on attire and headgear does seem to make some sense for these Corps. But does it show up on the scores/ placements ? Well, its my opinion that it does not. We've seen Corps lately win DCI championships with traditional headgear, progressive headgear, and no headgear. The last 4 Corps to have won DCI have done so with attire and headgear that is so totally unlike the other, that it leads me to my current assessment that attire and headgear had virtually nothing at all to do with why these 4 Corps won their recent DCI Championships.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True... and of course, its opinion.  We only know for certain that judges are not instructed to judge attire. Not only that, DCI does not train their judges on being equipped to adjudicate " Superior  fashion ", ... " Adequate fashion".... nor " Subpar fashion". This much transcends opinion. Its a fact, ie,  no training in it.

Besides, have you seen these judges attire they wear off the field ? ( and sometimes on the field when judging.. whoa.. one female judge immediately comes to mind ). Not sure you'd want these DCI judges to become the arbiters of what is good attire and subpar attire and award or deduct points for such in these judged competitions. :bigsmile:

You are definitely right about keeping judges' opinions out of it.  And I think this debate goes WAY beyond judging and scores.  After time has passed, the scores mean less and less.  But the IMAGE of the corps lives on.  

For example, I think back to Cadets 2015 (the "10" show).  I still CAN'T BELIEVE we got cheated out of seeing them march THAT SHOW with white pants, instead of black.  I am personally never going to forgive that decision.  Would white pants have gotten them a better score (or possibly worse)?  We will never know.  Some can argue that they lost momentum when they got the black uniforms.  Then again, other things were at play, so we can't really say for sure what would have happened if they had kept the old uniforms.  But for me, the maroon/gold/white would have worked way better, especially when viewing the show years later on a blu-ray disc.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Digital unis aren't that big of an expense.  (I have firsthand knowledge of this.)  Even down at our end of the DCI budget pyramid, it's way down the list of costs.

Mike

I can only speak for the high school I work with, but the digital uniforms saved us so much money in terms of dry cleaning, upkeep, etc. You can just throw them in the wash with your regular clothes and be good to go. They were about $40 a top, which cost us $2,760 before tax. That sounds like a big number, but the dry cleaning bills added up at the end of the season were outrageous!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

You are definitely right about keeping judges' opinions out of it.  And I think this debate goes WAY beyond judging and scores.  After time has passed, the scores mean less and less.  But the IMAGE of the corps lives on.  

For example, I think back to Cadets 2015 (the "10" show).  I still CAN'T BELIEVE we got cheated out of seeing them march THAT SHOW with white pants, instead of black.  I am personally never going to forgive that decision.  Would white pants have gotten them a better score (or possibly worse)?  We will never know.  Some can argue that they lost momentum when they got the black uniforms.  Then again, other things were at play, so we can't really say for sure what would have happened if they had kept the old uniforms.  But for me, the maroon/gold/white would have worked way better, especially when viewing the show years later on a blu-ray disc.

Good points all, imo.

59 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Two snaps and a twist for Academy! 

I think it might be interesting to see a corps with a Poppycock designed costume!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think it might be interesting to see a corps with a Poppycock designed costume!

That’ll be the Cadets this year going for a Victorian vibe version of a Cadets uniform 

just a hunch on my part 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Difficult to know. Going on just his avatar chosen, maybe this ?

Image result for funny 16th century royalty attire... gifs