2019 Uniforms

3 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

not much of an argument from me on this point. I tend to agree that the difference between Bridgemen and Troopers circa 1979 was miles wider than the difference between Academy and Colts circa 2019. Also agree that the wider differences of 1979 probably had the same effect on the competitive standing of Bridgemen and Troopers as they will on Academy and Colts in 2019 -- which is to say, minimal except in those margin cases where, when it is precisely calibrated to resonate with the show design, the look provides just that crucial bit of extra wind in the sails in the GE column.

But still, all of that is not the same as saying costuming is no factor at all. If it truly had zero importance to the success of a corps -- either at tonight's show or November's audition camps --  every corps would drop costuming entirely and spend all that saved money on juggling otters on unicycles or something.

It’s interesting Bridgemen are in this conversation. I remember 1976 when the new uniforms shocked the world of some and rocked the world of others. The common praise was that in GE, the uniforms were helpful in making the corps look larger, but they were criticized by those  who believed the uniforms made the corps look “dirty,” the favorite word to use when you’re not sure what else to say. I took a quick look at DCX and many years their M&M scores were in keeping with 27th, Madison, and Spirit but GE visual was a mixed bag. 

We can argue uniforms till the cows come home. It probably boils down to personal taste. My personal preference will always be what we saw in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but I don’t hate what we see today. Today I like some of the combos of traditional and contemporary. Troopers, Louisiana Stars, River City Rhythm, Crossmen, Academy, Legends are a few in this category. Some uniforms are a bit more outlandish but they fit the show perfectly. Guardians come to mind. Bloo’s uniforms matched their show better than anyone else, at last in my humble opinion. Without mentioning names, some uniforms can be distracting. I also find that many are too tight and are unflattering to young people with larger builds. 

I have said before, if the music is great and the show is amazing, you’ll quickly forget the uniforms. 

• Like 3

For me, this year will be the same as every other year... if a given corps' uniform/costume works for them, helps them sell/enhance their particular show theme.... then it was a good choice.  If it doesn't help... oh well.  LOL.

Just looking at photos/drawings of the attire, I have no idea if any of it will work, or not. The proof is on the field.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

That’ll be the Cadets this year going for a Victorian vibe version of a Cadets uniform 

just a hunch on my part 

I’ll be the judge of that! I keep it simple. Beauty doesn’t have to be complicated. Self expression is the easiest way to look and feel fabulous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Difficult to know. Going on just his avatar chosen, maybe this ?

Image result for funny 16th century royalty attire... gifs

Hard to envision Anne B here tossing 8's w/a 39 incher.

• Haha 3

All I know is, if a Corps show design is stellar, the marchers execute in brass, guard, percussion better than any other competitors, no other Corps choice of attire or headgear will mean a hill of beans. The Cadets ( for one example ) have finished both in 1st place and in 19th place in DCI with pretty much the identical uniform and headgear. Judges did not care a wit when they gave them 1st place, nor 19th place, on what they wore out onto the field for competition. Nor should the judges have cared. . SCV won a DCI Title for themselves in 2018. Their attire and sans headgear decision had nothing to do with that, I'm pretty sure. And the Corps in back of SCV were not disadvantaged in the least by what they chose to wear for themselves as Corps in 2018 either, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

25 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

Hard to envision Anne B here tossing 8's w/a 39 incher.

Well it isn’t anything to lose your head over! Just toss consistent 7s!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well it isn’t anything to lose your head over! Just toss consistent 7s!

In the end, 6 was enough.  But there were a couple drops.

• Haha 3

On 6/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, BRASSO said:

Drum Corps currently has no caption for " attire " ( some sports competitions do ). So basically, there is little to be gained or lost on any of the score sheets for " attire worn ". Judges are not even to account for " attire " on even the GE Visual sheets. There are dozens of other things the judges will be evaluating on their particular captions, besides the attire worn in competition. As such, Corps are well served to look for a myriad of other ways to find the extra  2-- 3 tenths for themselves at Championships, imo.  If attire was factored into scoring, we'd see Corps altering the attire throughout the season, as much as they alter other aspects of their show. But typically speaking, Corps keep their attire for the entire season. The only major attire change I recall mid season was the Cadets in 2015. They won the San Antonio Regionals, topping all Corps there. They then scrapped their 80 year traditional colors, unis, for an all black uniform and wound up 4th at Finals 3 weeks later, and have never placed in the top 3 at any Regionals or FInals since. For decades, the Cadets have placed high and low in their traditional attire, and in neither case did the attire have anything at all to do with that placement/score, imo. 

actually "attire" can count on effect sheets. Does the costume fit the theme? Do they actually use parts of the costume in the performance? That could bleed over to other sheets as well.

so attire can be a factor that helps.....or hurts. You may want to dig into what effect judges actually look at

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1