2019 Uniforms

Old timers on here will recall when attire and headgear worn did in fact, factor into the scoring in competition.

Inspections. ( lol!)

That uniform, headgear, shoes, socks, eyeglasses if you wore them etc had better be in straight, spiffy, polished, condition ( and no loose threads hanging anywhere ! ) or that inspection judge would indeed take off tenths on the Corps score... and even before the Corps played a single note in the show too. I know Corps that have won and lost competitions.. even National Titles.. by those few tenths that came from the Inspection line.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

That uniform, headgear, shoes, socks, eyeglasses if you wore them etc had better be in straight, spiffy, polished, condition or that inspection judge would indeed take off tenths on the Corps score... and even before the Corps played a note in the show too.

64 VFW (Cleveland) was my first major contest with an inspection.  Seventeen years old and shaving for the first time.  My two sided single razor could be set from 1 to 9.  Since I didn't know any better, I walked around for about an hour before we left the hotel with small pieces of TP on three different cuts.  In Boston, getting a tenth off during inspection was the least of your problems!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

64 VFW (Cleveland) was my first major contest with an inspection.  Seventeen years old and shaving for the first time.  My two sided single razor could be set from 1 to 9.  Since I didn't know any better, I walked around for about an hour before we left the hotel with small pieces of TP on three different cuts.  In Boston, getting a tenth off during inspection was the least of your problems!

As you  know too Ghost, Boston won the '67 AL Prelims. Then were ahead after inspection. But for reasons unclear to this very day, the inspection scores were uncharacteristically thrown out for Finals. Cavaliers won Finals, Boston 2nd.  Amirite ? You were there that '67 season as well, no ?

Edited by BRASSO

28 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As you  know too Ghost, Boston won the '67 AL Prelims. Then were ahead after inspection. But for reasons unclear to this very day, the inspection scores were thrown out for Finals. Cavaliers won Finals, Boston 2nd.  Amirite ?

Don't know the inspection results (Tony S. waving his magic wand again?), but always heard they had to march one less tenor drummer at finals.  Someone dimed the corps.

Oopps!  Tony S. was VFW not AL.  RIP Tony.

Edited by Ghost

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Don't know the inspection results, but always heard they had to march one less tenor drummer at finals.  Someone dimed the corps.

I believe they also threw out the inspection scores for all Corps. Oh well, Cavaliers were a great Corps too, so don't want to take anything away from their accomplishment.

22 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I believe they also threw out the inspection scores for all Corps. Oh well, Cavaliers were a great Corps too, so don't want to take anything away from their accomplishment.

67 AL Junior prelims

1. BAC 87.833

2. SAC 86.350

3. St. Mary's Cardinals 85.183

4. CAV 84.00

Finals

1. Cav 83.433

2. BAC 83.000

A few nights later at the CYO, BAC was 1st with an 88.08, and CAV were 2nd with an 84.83.  The brain trust was very concerned "how the kids would react" if they lost the CYO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Old timers on here will recall when attire and headgear worn did in fact, factor into the scoring in competition.

Inspections. ( lol!)

That uniform, headgear, shoes, socks, eyeglasses if you wore them etc had better be in straight, spiffy, polished, condition ( and no loose threads hanging anywhere ! ) or that inspection judge would indeed take off tenths on the Corps score... and even before the Corps played a single note in the show too. I know Corps that have won and lost competitions.. even National Titles.. by those few tenths that came from the Inspection line.

Ugh.  Inspection. I remember Corps moms walking around us with scissors cutting off any Irish pennants from our unis..  And we had to wear hairnets because your hair couldn’t touch your colllar.  

I did NOT miss inspection when it went away.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1