2019 Uniforms

On June 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM, crownisking said:

24az6h0.jpg

Academy’s uniforms are...interesting. I’m all for progress but I’ve grown so accustomed to Academy looking classy that this will definitely take some getting used to. 

I like 'em! :colgate:

6 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Case in point:  Cadets with the Angels & Demons show.  Two separate uniforms, used simultaneously, with drill specifically written to accentuate that choice.  Also, the movement of the angels was different than that of the demons.  This HAD to affect the effect score in a positive way.

I'm not a judge, so I don't actually have PROOF that they scored higher because of those uniforms.  But that uniform/design choice was nearly impossible to ignore for anyone who watched it.

on each effect sheet, there's a thing taken into account called audio/visual coordination.

So if you're doing a show about hell, and you've got bright green and pink everywhere...is that coordinated?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, I seen the judging sheets, and the criteria instructions, and there is no mention at all on asking  any of the judges to award or deduct points on the basis of " does the costume fit the theme ?", ... nor is it mentioned in the training manuals and judges's instructions that Corps are supposed to " actually use parts of the costume in the performance " in order to derive any awarding of point credits.  That said, my DCI judging manual/ instructions to judges I've read is now 11 years old. So could you perhaps download this page that covers this in the most recent Judging Manual ? , as that would help me ( and perhaps others ) better understand how the judging has changed since 2008 and where apparently now the attire and headgear ( and presumably the absence of headgear ) is now judged for point gain or loss  on the General Effect sheets ( and how attire and headgear choices could even apparently " bleed over " into Brass, Percussion, Guard captions as well, you say ). Thanks. Jeff.

on each effect sheet, there's a thing taken into account called audio/visual coordination.

So if you're doing a show about hell, and you've got bright green and pink everywhere...is that coordinated?

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Boston in 2013 changed uniforms completely in mid show and even ( as Jeff Ream says is factored in ) used the costumes in the performance effectively by completely changing the attire Corps costumes and colors with that in the performance.  There was no effect whatsoever however on their scores/ placements with that attire/ headgear choices,... as near as we can tell anyway..

As for the Cadets, they have finished in 1st place and in 19th place with virtually identical attire & headgear in both cases, and that fashion choice and headgear choice had no bearing whatsoever on either that 1st place finish nor that 19th place finish for them, imo. As for Cadets title in 2011, its mere speculation that they would not have been able to win their Title that season without the duality of the attire. The theme was about duality, ( perfect for duality attire ) so the attire change DID perhaps assist with that GE visual caption more than if they had utilized their " onsies ", and attempted to win it with those. I  grant that possibility as a matter of fact.  However, placing 1st in GE Music #1... 1st in GE Music #2,....2nd in Guard,.... 2nd in Brass, ....1st in Music Ensemble,... likely were the principal reasons they won in 2011, imo... not the attire/headgear choice that season. But... who knows.

the uniform change DID have an effect on the show.

30 years ago it didn't matter as much, if at all ( i am sure for guard it factored in). Think the first time Phantom took off the helmets....that wasn't an effect?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm not sure I understand - they won in 2011 in a non traditional... 

I also think, for example, Coats for Downside Up and SCV last year both benefited from their attire

Certainly hard to prove though - so I would say, a matter of conjecture at best 🙂

with the stuff the kids have to do with their bodies now, i highly doubt a traditional uniform would work

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the uniform change DID have an effect on the show.

This is pure nonsense. But if any fans are to accept this nonsense that judges are judging fashion choices, headgear choices in shows ( they're most decidely not ... but assuming they WERE ), then it logically compels us to ask if it was SCV's choice in costuming attire last summer that helped secure them their first DCI title in 19 years , and conversely, if BD lost the few tenths they could have utilized because their costuming choices for 2018 were not judged as well by the judges as was the fashion choices made by SCV last season.

But... this is just plain silly.... of course. SCV won their title last season and the fact they had no headgear, and wore the simple attire  that they did,  had nothing at all to do with the scores and placement the judges awarded them. Furthermore, when Corps opted to go to " theme specific " attire, its reasonable to assume as well we all would have received information that the new judging criteria that went into effect would now be judging attire and headgear choices by the judging community. But to my knowledge, no such info was provided ... anywhere... to anyone.... even from DCI pr Flo Marching.... that judges would  now be judging the fashion choices of the Corps in these judged shows. But there has been no such info disseminated. For a simple reason, imo. Judges, despite the silliness promulgated in some quarters, are NOT judging the fashion choices Corps are making, and as a result, scores and placements are not predicated on what marchers are wearing in attire and headgear. And frankly, God help us, if scores/ placements in the future DO become like a Peacock/ Fashion Runway competition endeavor, than a Drum Corps competition endeavor.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

please ... Please ... PLEASE! Let’s not exhume the grave of this beaten horse again! 

This is the one I usually save for a certain poster who shall remain anonymous Lancer. You're free to steal it for when the horse gets beaten again.

stop-beating-dead-horses.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:30 AM, acolli17 said:

I dunno, I turned 30 this year and my knees are starting to slow me down!

Don't sweat it man. The snark will only get better as you "ripen." It's your God given right to be as bitter and snarky as the rest of us. 

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, gak27 said:

From their FB page...the Colts:

61359809_10157356470911823_5358770836259

I actually like those. Though I'm tempted to call the show "Meanwhile...back in Germany" based on the "leather" and spikes.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, gak27 said:

From their FB page...the Colts:

61359809_10157356470911823_5358770836259

Looks to me a bit like last years' Cavies. But I like to reserve judgment on any of these things until seeing the shows on the field. And it's anyway really subjective.