2019 Uniforms

38 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m really anxious to see Cadets.   Any chance they’ll stream the dress rehearsal?   🤞

I have no idea but I haven’t heard about a stream event 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Take it easy there.  And yes, for something to be "spot on", that kinda says it's EXACTLY the way it should be.  And it's just silly to say those uniforms are SPOT ON.

I kinda like them, I think.  But are they "spot on"?  No.

So Tom, If I told you to design a uniform for a show called Goliath, What would you create? How practical would it be?

What things would you want from the uniform that would invoke a strong emotional reaction that would add some effect to the show? What would the performer want from a uniform to be able to do everything that is physically asked of them? 

I personally don't discount anything because of historical accuracy... 

I see this uniform and in my head I immediately think, Roman, Goliath, Spartan... Whether those are historically accurate to me does not effect my enjoyment of what the designers are trying to do with a show called Goliath.

If the only thing that would pass your sniff test are the actual armor worn by Philistine Soldiers from 3000 years ago then we can take a flight, get some shovels and start digging.

Otherwise to me this checks all the boxes that I Would want from a uniform for the corps. Those helmets can give the visual designers some interesting lines to use and create effect from by simply changing the facing of the head... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m really anxious to see Cadets.   Any chance they’ll stream the dress rehearsal?   🤞

I'm anxious for you to see the Cadets and hear your thoughts about the new uniforms! They should look really cool on the field.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dans said:

I'm anxious for you to see the Cadets and hear your thoughts about the new uniforms! They should look really cool on the field.

I’ll be at the theater next Thursday but for whatever reason, that doesn’t work all that well for me.  But I’ll see The Cadets in person on 6/23.  I’ll get a much better feel for them then.  😊

10 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

So Tom, If I told you to design a uniform for a show called Goliath, What would you create? How practical would it be?

What things would you want from the uniform that would invoke a strong emotional reaction that would add some effect to the show? What would the performer want from a uniform to be able to do everything that is physically asked of them? 

I personally don't discount anything because of historical accuracy... 

I see this uniform and in my head I immediately think, Roman, Goliath, Spartan... Whether those are historically accurate to me does not effect my enjoyment of what the designers are trying to do with a show called Goliath.

If the only thing that would pass your sniff test are the actual armor worn by Philistine Soldiers from 3000 years ago then we can take a flight, get some shovels and start digging.

Otherwise to me this checks all the boxes that I Would want from a uniform for the corps. Those helmets can give the visual designers some interesting lines to use and create effect from by simply changing the facing of the head... 

I'm honestly not discounting the look of the uniform based on historical accuracy, either.  I'm just playing devil's advocate a little bit.  My initial reaction is, I do *think* I like the look of them.  I'll reserve judgement for how everything works on the field, and how it all fits together stylistically.

I agree with you completely regarding possible effects created by the helmets.  I'm most anxious to see that!

Something maybe not mentioned about Phantom's uniforms - the corps proper unis look to have long coats (see 0:00:05 to 0:00:012 in the attached vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzzQKA4vpk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

how "wobbly" are those boston helmets? they kind of look bucket-y (not flaming, please don't freak)

gotta love the precision of my word choices here. 

I was wondering the same. Your word choice is more precise than mine. I was thinking bobble headed. 

If they don’t sit right while moving it could be a mess. Blue Stars had that problem with their classic asymmetrical helmet. 

No worries...the helmets are held in place with electromagnets....although the drum majors say they are getting interference on their in-helmet communications system with the design team.  BAC is working on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5