Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

3 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

And I three bet you - include the drum majors, and teach the guard and percussion enough to be able to play a few sustained chords...😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

And I three bet you - include the drum majors, and teach the guard and percussion enough to be able to play a few sustained chords...😀

The Academy included the on field percussion with the guard during their ballad in 15.  Very impressive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Hey, what's wrong with flipping that? 

80 contras, 40 trumpets, drum majors and guard all hooking up a snare drum and tossing out a few bars of 32nd note paradiddles. 

only going forward... ok.... >>> (Didn't Cadets use that fast forward icon?)
I think there is room for lighting - it has been used a bit - but if a corps could find a way to really use serious stage lighting it could be a really neat effect -- everything from spots to strobes to orchestrated leds on the members and equipment -- that could be cool --

I think we will see the use of projection (as in high intensity video/image projection) I like the idea of a video on a transparent screen with the corps moving in front/behind (think Amber Waves Star of Indiana)

mic'ing/sound re enforcement will only continue to improve with technology -- 

I think the competitive aspects could be refined -- more objective scoring -- possibly quantitative measurements in areas such as hornline tuning or accuracy -- similar for battery - throw down some beats, we'll run it through an algorithm and assign a point value -- why not use technology to measure? This could also be used to measure how much sound enhancement is happening - possibly penalizing a corps that relies on a lot of synth to fill out the sound? or rewarding for corps that do it in a sensitive/balanced way -- 

In marching/movement, corps could continue to incorporate dance but could also be more creative in other styles of movement. Japanese marching bands are doing a lot of really fun creative movement, Japanese synchronized walking is also an area corps could explore.

Finally in costuming, we are at an exciting time because of the low cost of manufacturing and purchasing costuming. Corps should continue to come out with costuming appropriate to the theme of the show each year - this could be pushed even further with an element creative branding so you know as a fan, even though the costume is different year to year, you know who you are seeing because of a unique, distinctive, innovative trademark -- maybe it's a certain visual/body movement or marching style, maybe it's a sound logo - ala the Intel (computer chips) sound used in their ads - but something that subtly tells the audience - "ahh haaa.... yep. Vanguard." or.. "There it is! Boston." It shouldn't, however, be so obscure that only the most hard corps (people like us) can recognize the branding technique.

I am optimistic that there will always be insanely creative designers and incredibly talented MMs to continue putting an exciting production on the field.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I can't say that I'd be too thrilled with an American Idol style adjudication system.

Nor would I.  But what if the adjudication system remained the same, performance was judged by the same people, and general effect became a bit more "general" by using a mix of DCI judges and music/arts professionals?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

I think we will see the use of projection (as in high intensity video/image projection) I like the idea of a video on a transparent screen with the corps moving in front/behind (think Amber Waves Star of Indiana)

Holograms! 

55 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Academy included the on field percussion with the guard during their ballad in 15.  Very impressive.

Didn’t Marian Catholic High School in BOA do a show recently where the brass switched instruments with the woodwinds (and vice versa)?

That’s pretty innovative...