Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Man this thread became a cluster#### even faster than normal

Me, not checking on the thread I started, and coming back to it a few days later -

giphy.gif

Edited by acolli17
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, FTNK said:

I’d like to see breaking down/through the fundamental “grammar” of music and marching. A lot of posing and stomping has been added, but the fundamental marching movements and the way drill works, and how it interacts with the structure of the music, hasn’t really changed since the early 80s or before. I don’t watch much drum corps in the offseason and I’m always struck in June by how formulaic it all is- body movement as well- and samey across all the corps.

I’d love to see some really out of the box, experimental stuff. True improvisation, new ways on combining sound and movement, more varied timbres, radically different conceptualizations of space... I know this will never happen. Most shows have less varied dynamics and timbres than they did 20 years ago, it seems like you go from full brass forte to pit break to brass forte to full battery etc... I blame Cesario’s Zhdanov Decree about entertainment.

TL,DR: I wanna see and hear some weird ####.

I think it would be cool to see a section of true improv - let the musicians get creative so it's not the exact same every night. One of the big criticisms of drum corps that I've heard from my non-marching-oriented musician friends is that it's not true musicality because it's so planned and directed, down to the slightest detail. I know it'd be taking a risk, but if we truly want to show the musicianship of the marching members, maybe that's a way to do it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

I don't want to see this activity judged like Idol or The Voice, but I have often thought it could be interesting having an outside, professional person like a Grammy award winning artist (not necessarily one that is "famous"), with a completely unbiased opinion, share their opinions on our corps.  Lets let them judge and score, and compare to what our traditional judges score, and see the differences, and hear why they evaluated the way they did.  It could be very enlightening to say the least. 

I think it would be cool to get the perspective of a musical expert that's not necessarily fluent in the marching arts to voice their opinions on it. Whenever we talk about the really "band-o" shows, 2011 Crown is usually involved in the conversation, however they are also the show that I gravitate towards to introduce the concept of drum corps to a potential new fan for the activity. As much as I absolutely adore shows like Babylon, Tilt, and XtraordinarY, those are usually because I already have knowledge of what to look for in a show.

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

Man this thread became a cluster#### even faster than normal

2 hours ago, acolli17 said:

Me, not checking on the thread I started, and coming back to it a few days later -

We were asked for brain-storming ideas that have not been done before. Sounded sort of fun and innocuous.

So, in my posts I advocated for experienced professionals outside of drum corps, not iconic 'names' nor no-talent rich spoiled popstars, to be secured as adjudicators.  I even clarified that with multiple posts. I also advocated that they all use specific judging sheet criteria; albeit with a revamped judging system and sheet criteria which is set forth by the professional judges who have vast experience in the professional world.

However, instead of honest evaluation of the idea, or other new ideas being presented, which would have been great, the cluster### flames began. What was thrown back by those who disagreed were posts like: OMG Stu is wanting American Idol, just 'names', GD non talented folks who know nothing about drum corps, and other falsehoods about the proposed idea. And when I called BS on the falsehoods the response was that it was my proposal which was BS.

Anyway, so goes DCP.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, acolli17 said:

I think it would be cool to see a section of true improv - let the musicians get creative so it's not the exact same every night. One of the big criticisms of drum corps that I've heard from my non-marching-oriented musician friends is that it's not true musicality because it's so planned and directed, down to the slightest detail. I know it'd be taking a risk, but if we truly want to show the musicianship of the marching members, maybe that's a way to do it?

Letting loose with improve, to me, is a great idea. Let the musicinship shine!!!  But I think it would only work well with music that is designed for that type of exploration (jazz, funk, prog-rock, etc). Strict Symphonic and Concert Band music, unless creativly arranged as jazz, might not translate well with improv.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Get rid of this "It's Only About The Team" mentality, bring back and expand I&E, then make rock stars out of them.

Brandon, CBS News in the stadium... Rock Star!

There is already a Hall of Fame filled with rock-stars. But... It is just filled with self-serving adults not the deserving youth performers.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

However, instead of honest evaluation of the idea, or other new ideas being presented, which would have been great, the cluster### flames began. What was thrown back by those who disagreed were posts like: OMG Stu is wanting American Idol, just 'names', GD non talented folks who know nothing about drum corps, and other falsehoods about the proposed idea. And when I called BS on the falsehoods the response was that it was my proposal which was BS.

Apologies if my reaction (the American Idol one) seemed like a slam. It was really just an exaggerated  albeit sarcastic disagreement.  Maybe some mix of the two - traditional and independent would be a compromise. I could come on board with  Test it in Open Class for a year and see what happens. I dunno....just spitballin'.