Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Those are cool ideas!! And I tend to fall in that direction. But there is something to overcome (other that the snarling ney sayers, ha ha). Like I asked Spatzzz: If drum corps is to remain a 'competitive' activity, how would you balance the complete release of design creativity with the need for some kind of set criteria in order to prevent the results of each show from being a random moving dart board of individual open subjectivity?

Ask anyone who's ever been in an English pub... those moving dart boards can be dangerous!!!  :laughing:

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

As someone who ventures into the professional world of entertainment, I 100% agree. But I do have a question:

If drum corps is to remain a 'competitive' activity, how would you balance the complete release of design creativity with the need for some kind of set criteria in order to prevent the results of each show from being a random moving dart board of individual open subjectivity?

It all depends on the box we are willing to limit the activity to right? We all understand that there are limitations inherent to the activity. Different venues of different sizes and configuration every night, weather, we all know them. But, what they wear, what electronics they use and how their music is arranged and to what extent the visual over weighs the music are all things the corps can manipulate to put the most ENTERTAINING product on the field should be open. If woodwinds are a hard no that is great. But, we should allow them to explore those boundaries and understand that sometimes they will miss but most often they will hit. Stop being so stick in the past or the time you marched.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Those are cool ideas!! And I tend to fall in that direction. But there is something to overcome (other that the snarling ney sayers, ha ha). Like I asked Spatzzz: If drum corps is to remain a 'competitive' activity, how would you balance the complete release of design creativity with the need for some kind of set criteria in order to prevent the results of each show from being a random moving dart board of individual open subjectivity?

Not an easy one to answer. The more DCI turns into theatrics, the tougher it is to create adjudication standards that would permit comparisons (ranking and rating) between vastly different concepts. I like the idea of bringing in expertise from theater and music to assist in that area, but I also want those on the front lines to remain involved, both judges and staffs. 

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Not an easy one to answer. The more DCI turns into theatrics, the tougher it is to create adjudication standards that would permit comparisons (ranking and rating) between vastly different concepts. I like the idea of bringing in expertise from theater and music to assist in that area, but I also want those on the front lines to remain involved, both judges and staffs. 

Why? I hate to say it but WGI is the model for showing everyone that diversity conceptually can still be adjudicated. 

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

Why? I hate to say it but WGI is the model for showing everyone that diversity conceptually can still be adjudicated. 

But what if a true improv dada type troupe showed up? How would they be adjudicated and pan out competitively in WGI?

Just now, Stu said:

But what if a true improv dada type troupe showed up? How would they be adjudicated and pan out competitively in WGI?

They would be judged based on the criteria. Period. A unit is judged on that day in that venue for that performance against the criteria. Why couldn't that work?

26 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Ask anyone who's ever been in an English pub... those moving dart boards can be dangerous!!!  :laughing:

In a 'British' pub:
If someone is drinking Dartmore Best the target will move left to right.
If someone is drinking Newcastle Brown the target will move up and down.
If someone is drinking Harvey's Imperial the target will move near to far.
If someone is drinking an American Lager the darts will be thrown at them!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

They would be judged based on the criteria. Period. A unit is judged on that day in that venue for that performance against the criteria. Why couldn't that work?

Why couldn't it work? Because the current WGI sheets and subsiquent interpretation require the performance to have cohesiveness and structure. There is no allowence for random improv dada type performance. (unless, of course, the goal of the performace was intended to finish dead last, then it would be successful). This is why I hated the way BD tried to present the dada at Cabaret Voltaire. They could not do it with respect to real dada and win DCI. Same would hold true in WGI.

Edited by Stu

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Why couldn't it work? Because the current WGI sheets and subsiquent interpretation require the performance to have cohesiveness and structure. There is no allowence for random improv dada type performance. (unless, of course, the goal of the performace was intended to finish dead last, then it would be successful). This is why I hated the way BD tried to present the dada at Cabaret Voltaire. They could not do it with respect to real dada and win DCI. Same would hold true in WGI.

Define cohesiveness and structure as it relates to this activity. Sure there are rules regarding timing, space, and others that need to be adhered to but outside that.... 

Edited by Spatzzz

11 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Define cohesiveness and structure as it relates to this activity. Sure there are rules regarding timing, space, and others that need to be adhered to but outside that.... 

That is my point. Cohesivness and Structue are the complete anthisis of Performace Art presented in that manner; and it cannot be defined by any sheets nor interpreted by any person with any form of unified consistency. The only way a sheet could be written to accomidate that type of artistic design would be if it stated, "Whatever is being presented at that moment, no matter how random, is without error because it is exactly what is supposed to be presented at that moment."

Edited by Stu