Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Didn't Magic have a deal with Disney at one time, or is my memory fuzzy?

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think for a tiny bit of time. fuzzy here as well

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hey, are you all flying or driving down to the park?

Wait a minute!  Has Fr. Tim skyped with you guys?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wait a minute!  Has Fr. Tim skyped with you guys?

There is a movie called Lean on Me; it stars Morgan Freeman and Robert Guillaume. In it there is a scene where they are in a room yelling at each other, I mean mad as he##!!! Then when silence finally ensues one looks at the other and calmly says, "I'm hungry, let's go eat." or something to that effect. Sort of describes me and Jeff.

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hey, are you all flying or driving down to the park?

happy fathers day to me:

drive 2 hours to airport. fly ( i hate flying). arrive at Disney. pray i survive til Saturday.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

happy fathers day to me:

drive 2 hours to airport. fly ( i hate flying). arrive at Disney. pray i survive til Saturday.

Just wanted to wish ya a safe trip. And I am sure the kiddos will keep it fun for ya.

Edited by Stu

On 6/14/2019 at 9:03 PM, Stu said:

Tell the performers in Future Corps I said hello!!! Oh yeah, Disney realized that drum corps (as you invision it) was not viable for the future of real professional music entertainment way back in the year 2000. Carry on.

Wait, wait , wait a second. Future Corps had absolutely NOTHING to do with drum corps as has been discussed ANYWHERE in this thread. Encorps Entertainment and the future corps group was meant as a small ensemble group and was created for the opening of Epcot. It ONLY ran for 18 years for goodness sake and ended because Disney decided there was no reason for it to continue. I agree with a lot of what you say sometimes, but that's a stretch just makes not a #### bit of sense. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Because I was mad

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Wait, wait , wait a second. Future Corps had absolutely NOTHING to do with drum corps as has been discussed ANYWHERE in this thread. Encorps Entertainment and the future corps group was meant as a small ensemble group and was created for the opening of Epcot. It ONLY ran for 18 years for goodness sake and ended because Disney decided there was no reason for it to continue. I agree with a lot of what you say sometimes, but that's a stretch just makes not a #### bit of sense. 

A number of years ago I was curious to what happened to the group. So I knew someone I had gone to university with who was working around that time in the HR dept at Disney, and I asked what had happened. The following, albiet from memory, was the response: (if you were a member you may know some of this background).

Future Corps officially performed for the first time a few months 'after' the opening of Epcot, and was intended to be an on going entertainment group for the park (so it was not really created just for the grand opening ceremonies the moment the park opened). It was comprised of drum corps brass, drum corps drums, and on ocassion pit instruments as well as color guard; and most if not all players were DCI age-outs. It did grow into Encorps Entertainment.

They performed at the park many times per day, so they were a full time organization. The ensemble mainly performed at Epcot but did venture out to exhibition performances at multiple DCI events, live television shows, traveled to the Indy 500 and as far away as Japan. Disney also created a like group called Magic Kingdom Corps to perform at Disneyland in CA.

Here is the pertainate information. In mid to late 1999 Disney was noticing that many of the forms of entertainment at all of their parks were no longer drawing in the big crowds; mainly due to them being seen as archaic. And Y2K was around the corner!! This was especially a problem at a park billed as, come see the future!

So according to who I contacted, Future Corps was indeed dismantled along with other groups because drum corps was not considered as a viable commercial professional option going into the new millennium.

Edited by Stu

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Here is the pertainate information. In mid to late 1999 Disney was noticing that many of the forms of entertainment at all of their parks were no longer drawing in the big crowds; mainly due to them being seen as archaic. And Y2K was around the corner!! This was especially a problem at a park billed as, come see the future!

So according to who I contacted, Future Corps was indeed dismantled along with other groups because drum corps was not considered as a viable commercial professional option going into the new millennium.

Now THIS I would agree with. I do have some insider information as it were and what you say here is accurate. After 18 years, Disney did indeed have to make an evaluation of what was worth spending money on and you are correct. Let's face it, live entertainment in the park does not DRAW people to the park nor does it KEEP people in the park. It was more about live entertainment in general than it was as being specific to the drum corps activity. As long as we're clear on that I completely agree 1,000,000,000% with this post.

P.S. - You're correct on Future Corps starting after Epcot "opened" by a few months. Though in reality, Epcot didn't truly open to the public until late October. A lot of things were still in flux (entertainment wise) when it opened as Disney corp was still holding on (foolishly) to the notion that Epcot would truly become a self sustaining "community." 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

16 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now THIS I would agree with. I do have some insider information as it were and what you say here is accurate. After 18 years, Disney did indeed have to make an evaluation of what was worth spending money on and you are correct. Let's face it, live entertainment in the park does not DRAW people to the park nor does it KEEP people in the park. It was more about live entertainment in general than it was as being specific to the drum corps activity. As long as we're clear on that I completely agree 1,000,000,000% with this post.

Sure, drum corps was a part of various groups Disney viewed as archaic twenty years ago.

But it still supports my point which was/is that the drum corps activity (the kind many current established engrained apologists who claim their view of how it should be in say adjudicating is the only correct way) was/is not a viable option in the outside of the bubble world of professional entertainment.

Edited by Stu

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

But it still supports my point which was/is that the drum corps activity (the kind many current established engrained apologists who claim their view of how it should be in say adjudicating is the only correct way) was/is not a viable commercial professional option in the outside of the bubble world of entertainment.

What did you think about the Brass Theater / Canadian Brass / Blast angle? 

32 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

What did you think about the Brass Theater / Canadian Brass / Blast angle? 

The Blast stuff was great, but also ran its course and died off. Only won a Tony because a new category was created. There are still a few elements of marching arts in the pro world; can be seen in Super Bowl halftimes, on stage at pop concerts, etc. But more in line with showband as opposed to drum corps. Janna Gavankar did recently do an arrangement and recording with Jersey Surf, but it was grounded in her own personal interest in drum corps and not for professional commercial reasons.

What I think has got the drum corps apologists riled is that I believe it might be time for the pro world to put a kick into drum corps instead of the other way around.

Your thougts on Blast etc?

Edited by Stu