Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

1 minute ago, Stu said:

What I think has got the drum corps apologists riled is that I think it might be time for the pro world to put a kick into drum corps instead of the other way around

I don't necessarily disagree with that statement Stu. I think it's in the way that it's done which is the source of contention in all reality. Drum Corps has always failed in it's ability to adapt with changing times. I think that much is obvious. Kids now have choices of what to do with their summers in ways that (for good or bad) have changed the dynamic. Even when I was coming up through DCI, there were SO many more corps. Band programs were huge here in the southeast and in the north and mid-west. Kids are staying inside now. There are a lot of things that DCI needs to explore in order to make/keep drum and bugle corps relevant. I think THAT we can all agree on. 

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Your thougts on Blast etc?

I've always waffled back and forth on Blast. Depending on whom you speak to, Blast was either a brilliant idea to bring marching arts onto a small stage with small ensembles and maximize revenue presenting something people had never seem before (shiny new stuff.) OR, Blast was play thing for Bill Cook to prove that he could once again re-invent the wheel. He and his corps and staff changed the face of DCI, Blast changed the face of stage entertainment within that niche. It was WGI (or what would become WGI,) combined with Mini-Corps / Soundsport at it's absolute best.

Unfortunately it ran it's race as well. I think people are too finicky outside of our activity to make it mainstream. I have always thought that the way to make the activity grow is to find corporate sponsorships first and have those mainstream sponsors drive forward the activity. I just don't see the activity going the opposite way and attracting sponsorships which would then make the activity popular. HOW....now that's the question isn't it?

11 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I have always thought that the way to make the activity grow is to find corporate sponsorships first and have those mainstream sponsors drive forward the activity. I just don't see the activity going the opposite way and attracting sponsorships which would then make the activity popular. HOW....now that's the question isn't it?

DCP has kicked this topic around before and if my memory hasn't completely left me, a repeated thought was, other than the regular DCI/band sponsors, there may not be any corporations willing to come forward since D&BC has such a small fan base.  ESPN tried, but that faded after a short run. NPR tried, but even they couldn't get enough donations from the D&BC community.  There were the "well if they can have shows about (fill in the activity) why not D&BC.?"

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

....Kids are staying inside now....

I am starting to wonder if the future of professional competition is Esports like the Overwatch Videogame League. It has become a multi billion dollar industry and it is not only the youth who are moving in that direction away from competetive physical activity. And if AI is injected, even less human physical activity will be a part of the competetive culture.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am starting to wonder if the future of professional competition is Esports like the Overwatch Videogame League. 

The few times I've watched, I've enjoyed drone racing.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

DCP has kicked this topic around before and if my memory hasn't completely left me, a repeated thought was, other than the regular DCI/band sponsors, there may not be any corporations willing to come forward since D&BC has such a small fan base.  ESPN tried, but that faded after a short run. NPR tried, but even they couldn't get enough donations from the D&BC community.  There were the "well if they can have shows about (fill in the activity) why not D&BC.?"

All very true Ghost. I think the ESPN 2 thing was really wasted to be honest. They played finals in a odd time slot if I remember correctly, it was a delayed broadcast. I think part of the key, as has been discussed ad nauseam, is for DCI to do whatever they can to fill the seats with fans FIRST and foremost. If that means that you significantly cut ticket prices for students, then do it. I get that money will be an issue with doing that. But if you can't fill seats, you won't attract sponsors. The how is always the hitch in the giddyup.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am starting to wonder if the future of professional competition is Esports like the Overwatch Videogame League. It has become a multi billion dollar industry and it is not only the youth who are moving in that direction away from competetive physical activity. And if AI is injected, even less human physical activity will be a part of the competetive culture.

Unfortunately, I think that's the truth Stu. Amazingly, gamers are actually making real money off playing video games. Oddly enough though, in my own little bubble, pocket billiards is going through a resurgence. Pool halls are starting to go to non-smoking and laws have changed to allow "kids" to be in the rooms again. Most of the best players in the world are now younger guys. 20 years ago, I would have been considered to be in my prime age now at 47. Bad comparison, I know, but it's an interesting parallel. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The few times I've watched, I've enjoyed drone racing.

I too have been entertained by the various Esport competitions. But there is no real human physical exertion involved, and that shift is what is germain to the future of competions like drum corps.

Edited by Stu

24 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Unfortunately, I think that's the truth Stu. Amazingly, gamers are actually making real money off playing video games. Oddly enough though, in my own little bubble, pocket billiards is going through a resurgence. Pool halls are starting to go to non-smoking and laws have changed to allow "kids" to be in the rooms again. Most of the best players in the world are now younger guys. 20 years ago, I would have been considered to be in my prime age now at 47. Bad comparison, I know, but it's an interesting parallel. 

Competetive bowling has also had an uptic. But it came with two-hand rotation spin techique and the allowence for close quarter loud heckling from the live spectators. I even just saw a tv ad for a new competitive mini golf obstacle course combo. Maybe that is the ticket for DCI. Full contact AI robot drum corps with heckling!!! Ha ha!!!!

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Competetive bowling has also had an uptic. But it came with two-hand rotation spin techique and the allowence for close quarter loud heckling from the live spectators. I even just saw a tv ad for a new competitive mini golf obstacle course combo. Maybe that is the ticket for DCI. Full contact AI robot drum corps with heckling!!! Ha ha!!!!

With running over a field judge now no longer an option, I think the only thing you could do would be to choose a fan at random and have them try to not get run over. At least it would embrace fan participation!

• Haha 1