Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the coordinators and caption heads watch for trends. with competition suite, they can go in and listen to a recording from anywhere. if they see a disturbing score, or get a communication from a corps concerning a score/recording, they're doing some research. Listening to the recording. getting feedback from the corps. talking to the judge themselves. 

last year....Boston won Thursday and Friday in guard....but not Saturday. well now, odd? correct? Maybe, not a guard expert. Some people say yes, some people say no. i'm sure the person in charge of the guard sheet asked some questions.

however after that research, if the recording backs up the score as well as the judge can account for their actions, yeah they will get backed up.

Now it could affect end of the year assignments.....but you have seen stuff like this all the time. the year Crown won...percussion was scoring in the 6th range consistently all year when up against everyone. Semis...boom up to 4th, beating corps they lost to all year, and thus creating a far bigger spread against BD than there had been? In fact changing the results from the night before? Think that judge wasn't grilled that night? ( i can't remember the name, but i honestly don't remember it being a name that i have heard of since).

I went back and looked. It was Fugett. IIRC, he's done Finals since, but on the GE sheets.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Had to read it all, but the last line, the one I put in bold, actually answers my question.

It may mean the judge couldn’t justify it.  In the circuit I judge in, Ive been called about complaints from groups, usually over scores. I could justify my ranking and rating. No problem 

7 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

I went back and looked. It was Fugett. IIRC, he's done Finals since, but on the GE sheets.

So then there’s a guy with a track record, and a good one. I’m sure he could justify it 

7 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It may mean the judge couldn’t justify it.  In the circuit I judge in, Ive been called about complaints from groups, usually over scores. I could justify my ranking and rating. No problem 

It appears to me that the sanctioning body relocted him; sort of like relocating a wayfaring bear.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It appears to me that the sanctioning body relocted him; sort of like relocating a wayfaring bear.

At what point in the season are caption placements slotted in and no longer allowed to change?  For those keeping score at home, we rail against slotting, but then when placements do change, we rail against judges playing favorites or holding grudges or being incompetent- you know, needing to be relocated like a wayfaring bear. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

So then there’s a guy with a track record, and a good one. I’m sure he could justify it 

Hasn't he been around since the very early 90's? I seem to remember him coming in and maybe Gordon Cagle not judging as much around the same time.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

not necessarily...he's done GE too. could have been his call.....he was judging on the field 20+ years ago....thats a young mans game!

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

At what point in the season are caption placements slotted in and no longer allowed to change?  For those keeping score at home, we rail against slotting, but then when placements do change, we rail against judges playing favorites or holding grudges or being incompetent- you know, needing to be relocated like a wayfaring bear. 

finals night after the show

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Hasn't he been around since the very early 90's? I seem to remember him coming in and maybe Gordon Cagle not judging as much around the same time.

yeah i think 90 or 91 is the first I remember seeing his name. there's a tape of his or two from back then on youtube. good stuff

On 6/5/2019 at 5:50 AM, Rufus67 said:

An understandable adjudication system that rewards execution (musical, marching, performance, etc.) instead of the hash that currently exists. Figure skating figured this out a while ago (e.g., if you fall you ain't winning that day) and I'm not really sure why drum corps can't (e.g., marchers out of step, different marching techniques used by marching members in the same corps, entrances missed, equipment dropped, etc.).

Your profile pic indicates you've see what you describe.