Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

With running over a field judge now no longer an option, I think the only thing you could do would be to choose a fan at random and have them try to not get run over. At least it would embrace fan participation!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

With running over a field judge now no longer an option, I think the only thing you could do would be to choose a fan at random and have them try to not get run over. At least it would embrace fan participation!

:spitting:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Competetive bowling has also had an uptic. But it came with two-hand rotation spin techique and the allowence for close quarter loud heckling from the live spectators. I even just saw a tv ad for a new competitive mini golf obstacle course combo. Maybe that is the ticket for DCI. Full contact AI robot drum corps with heckling!!! Ha ha!!!!

The year Madison did their Mad Max show and Music City had their Tribe show, I remarked more than once they should have them on adjacent facing fields as a "Last Corps Standing" competition.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Just wanted to wish ya a safe trip. And I am sure the kiddos will keep it fun for ya.

in spite of luggage confusion upon arrival and supper not happening til 8:30, a kid with ADHD was a champ on her first airplne ride.

I am now on my Second southern hurricane

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now THIS I would agree with. I do have some insider information as it were and what you say here is accurate. After 18 years, Disney did indeed have to make an evaluation of what was worth spending money on and you are correct. Let's face it, live entertainment in the park does not DRAW people to the park nor does it KEEP people in the park. It was more about live entertainment in general than it was as being specific to the drum corps activity. As long as we're clear on that I completely agree 1,000,000,000% with this post.

P.S. - You're correct on Future Corps starting after Epcot "opened" by a few months. Though in reality, Epcot didn't truly open to the public until late October. A lot of things were still in flux (entertainment wise) when it opened as Disney corp was still holding on (foolishly) to the notion that Epcot would truly become a self sustaining "community." 

Disney changes stuff all the time except their crappy website service

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

All very true Ghost. I think the ESPN 2 thing was really wasted to be honest. They played finals in a odd time slot if I remember correctly, it was a delayed broadcast. I think part of the key, as has been discussed ad nauseam, is for DCI to do whatever they can to fill the seats with fans FIRST and foremost. If that means that you significantly cut ticket prices for students, then do it. I get that money will be an issue with doing that. But if you can't fill seats, you won't attract sponsors. The how is always the hitch in the giddyup.

My rapidly aging memory of ESPN2 is that DCI funded most of that broadcast,  with maybe some support from their normal sponsoring companies.Hence the "off time" broadcast.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:56 PM, Stu said:

There is a movie called Lean on Me; it stars Morgan Freeman and Robert Guillaume. In it there is a scene where they are in a room yelling at each other, I mean mad as he##!!! Then when silence finally ensues one looks at the other and calmly says, "I'm hungry, let's go eat." or something to that effect. Sort of describes me and Jeff.

Film about a Paterson high school principal named Joe Clark.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, Stu said:

Didn't Magic have a deal with Disney at one time, or is my memory fuzzy?

Anaheim Kinsmen did back in the day....they had a deal with Disneyland. The Mickey Mouse Club theme was in their competitive show. Seemed sort of odd mixed in with King of Kings, Exodus, Ritual Fire Dance, etc. 

40 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My rapidly aging memory of ESPN2 is that DCI funded most of that broadcast,  with maybe some support from their normal sponsoring companies.Hence the "off time" broadcast.

yup. couldn't get advertisers. same issue they face now

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Probably so. All of that history seems kinda scattered and almost falls into an "oral tradition" type of information exchange. At the time, I hated the fact it was off time. Now I wish we had at LEAST on off time broadcast for some visibility.