Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and if trained....what are the odds they are going to go differently? the criteria is the criteria

Hey, you were the one worried about "some big name... putting down a score that could influence a championship".  Argue with yourself.  :starwars:

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

If that is your opinion of my idea, fine, no problem, disagreement makes for good banter. But instead of resopnding to the actual facts within my idea what you did was mis-characteroze, mis-state, mis-quote, mis-represent, and outright type falsehoods about my idea. 'That' is what sparked my bs response.

At least he didn’t mis-spell his reply!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

At least he didn’t mis-spell his reply!

My Grams used to roll her eyes when I used poor grammer. And when I said that content is what really counts she would whack me with a ruler! 😏

Speaking of the judging training system, it needs to be revamped also. We now have a system the trains clones. I understand the desire for competitive consistency; but the current training system is one in which would tell accomplished jazz professionals that they know nothing about jazz if they disagreed with the current drum corps defined interpretation of general effect in that genera. And it is the closed minded fear of their own apple cart tumping over which drives the marching arts establishment into hating the opinions of music professionals outside the activity.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, Stu said:

1) Independent governing/sanctioning body.

2) Adjudication by music/artistic professionals who are independent of drum corps.

Your second point is interesting. I was at a show in Quincy, MA a few years back when Colts did a show based on a radio drama and it featured quite a bit of dance. A woman who claimed to be a dance teacher loved the show had interesting opinions of what worked and what could have been done differently. Having folks with expertise critique and score certain aspects of a show could be yield interesting results. I’m not sure I’d want to see it impact judging itself, but as side awards at Allentown, San Antonio, or Atlanta, or perhaps some TOC shows would be interesting.

Edited by Tim K

In youth baseball, we tell the kids there are 3 strike zones: the pitcher's version, the hitter's version, and the umpire's version. And only one version counts -- the umpire's. So it is up to you (the players), as hitters or a pitchers, to adjust accordingly.

If a corps wants to be competitive in DCI, it will need to adjust to however the judging sheets are being interpreted by the judges during that particular show. Because, even though the fans have their idea of what makes a show "good," and the corps directors and designers have their idea of what makes a show "good," the only opinion that matters (from the competition standpoint) is the judges.

So, if Stu's non-DCI experts have a different "strike zone" than Reams' preferred experts, the corps' show designers would probably adjust accordingly.

• Like 2

"Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward"

So we can rule out Chutes and Ladders.

• Haha 1