Justice Dep't Reviewing Music Licensing Decrees

43 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Well, my feeble old mind is more confused than ever on all of this, so I'll just let things fall where they do and just be thankful I have music to listen before some bureaucrat comes along and fines me for whistling Zippety Doo Dah without a license. 

Dare you even mention your planned repertoire without having secured the necessary permissions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Well, my feeble old mind is more confused than ever on all of this, so I'll just let things fall where they do and just be thankful I have music to listen before some bureaucrat comes along and fines me for whistling Zippety Doo Dah without a license. 

Here is a bit of irony. The movie which features that song is no longer distributed nor available in the United States.

Yes, I collect old movies and I have a copy of this movie. I believe Zippety Doo Dah was pulled by Disney over a Racial issue. It is not allowed to be sold in the United States.

16 hours ago, BigW said:

So there are additional copyright fees for the venue provider as well as the group having to pay for performance rights? 

they're trying to get them

9 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm going to politely ask that the mods lock this thread at any evidence that it heads down a political path.  Whatever is the instigation of this new action (money), it's impact, if any, on the activity is the point of my post.

I see a venue-responsibility to pay licensing fees as a significant new cost to the activity even if arrangements can be made to collect it via the corps.  School venues have strong lawyers who are very sensitive to who uses their facilities.

A black eye for the activity a year ago, and now new costs and legal oversight to assure compliance with payment requirements...  The activity doesn't need another reason for school admins to say "No" to over-excited band directors hoping to host a show.

Thanks, BTW.

i'm not going down the politics road. However, a high school band, trying to host a competition as a fundraiser, will now have to get the information from every band attending and then have to pay a fee for that?

some fundraiser. more like a way to kill the competitive marching band activity

2 hours ago, Stu said:

While I make no legal claims, I am someone who has done this professionally for many years. Not only in marching arts, but in clubs with rock, country, and jazz groups.

Many times local high schools who put on local contests promoted by their band boosters do not secure the proper performance liscensing; even though they are supposed to secure that performance permission. My gut tells me they are so insignificant to the liscinsing entities it would be futile for the Copyright investigators to research, but again I am not an attorney. Nevertheless...

I have worked with school marching bands engaging with BOA and WGI who have secured their own performance permission just for the set number of local contests they will attend.

schools hosting non-recorded, non-championship events have been contacted.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

Good. They were supposed to be securing performance licenses already anyway.

Here’s a thing: every stadium where every drum corps show, forever, was held is recorded in the legacy files of DCI’s backroom storage.  It would be a relatively simple matter to go back in time and total up the number of venues that did not pay performance fees. 

In my opinion, that would bring a death knell to the notion of a high school ever leasing it’s stadium to drum corps ever again. 

Say, average 150 shows per season since 1972?  Big payday for licensers, and a back-breaker for DCI ,  IMO. 

It’s easy to say “they should have”, but was there ever any realistic expectation for venue operators in history to know that a performance fee was due?

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Here’s a thing: every stadium where every drum corps show, forever, was held is recorded in the legacy files of DCI’s backroom storage.  It would be a relatively simple matter to go back in time and total up the number of venues that did not pay performance fees. 

In my opinion, that would bring a death knell to the notion of a high school ever leasing it’s stadium to drum corps ever again. 

Say, average 150 shows per season since 1972?  Big payday for licensers, and a back-breaker for DCI ,  IMO. 

It’s easy to say “they should have”, but was there ever any realistic expectation for venue operators in history to know that a performance fee was due?

I am not advocating collecting retroactively; I am advocating that the required fees are paid going forward.

And yes, it is realistic to have expected venue operators and show coordinators in the past to have researched what was the legal protocol and follow it in order to promote live performances where monetary transactions were taking place. In fact, many many many years ago I brought this up with a band booster and their response was ASCAP will not care due to it being a small marching band event. So many knew, they just let it slide.

21 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Yes, I collect old movies and I have a copy of this movie. I believe Zippety Doo Dah was pulled by Disney over a Racial issue. It is not allowed to be sold in the United States.

The film is called Song of the South and CAN be sold, but Disney chooses not to due to questionable content based on race. The song can be and is used in Disney parks, albums, etc. It has zero to do with any form of legality, though.