Volunteering

Hello, I have a question that hopefully doesn’t start some kind of drama. My wife and I have been volunteering with my sons Corps for the last three years and we were told that volunteers were a very intricate part of what makes things happen. My son recently moved to a different Corps this summer and when we went to help we were basically told if we couldn’t help for the complete tour we would not be needed at any of the other shows. We both work but make it to three or four shows and take the entire finals week off work to help out. We do our best to stay out of the way just help where we are needed we don’t stay with the Corps and buy our tickets to the shows. I guess my question would be is that the norm for most corps to not want or need volunteers? And would it be wrong of us to go to another Corps and help out even though our son is not on that corps? We really love being around the activity and just wanted to be a part of the excitement but kind of feel like we were pushed out it’s kind of disheartening. Any input would be great thanks.  

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Hello, I have a question that hopefully doesn’t start some kind of drama. My wife and I have been volunteering with my sons Corps for the last three years and we were told that volunteers were a very intricate part of what makes things happen. My son recently moved to a different Corps this summer and when we went to help we were basically told if we couldn’t help for the complete tour we would not be needed at any of the other shows. We both work but make it to three or four shows and take the entire finals week off work to help out. We do our best to stay out of the way just help where we are needed we don’t stay with the Corps and buy our tickets to the shows. I guess my question would be is that the norm for most corps to not want or need volunteers? And would it be wrong of us to go to another Corps and help out even though our son is not on that corps? We really love being around the activity and just wanted to be a part of the excitement but kind of feel like we were pushed out it’s kind of disheartening. Any input would be great thanks.  

Well if they have plenty of volunteers that’s  good thing, right? As a corps parent you should be happy about that and spend the time relaxing imo 

Far from it I believe.  Have never heard/read where a corps only want folks to commit for the whole tour.  Corps know the majority of mm parents are probably still working and may have other children.  They are happy to have volunteers to sign up whenever they are available.

• Like 1

I've never heard of a corps not needing help along certain stops on tour. That being said, if they've got plenty of volunteers then good on them! Maybe there is another corps that's close that could use some help? Though I can certainly understand wanting to support the corps that your son is marching in, the entire activity needs your support and I think your son would understand that. Just MHO though. 

• Like 3

When a corps needs volunteers, and most do, the tasks volunteers are needed for vary, so a time commitment varies as well.  Sometimes chunks of time are needed, like a week or two or more.  Sometimes a brief helping hand is appreciated.

For instance Boston is looking for prop helpers and they are asking for a minimum 2 week commitment. If you can do that, they’ll fly you in and out.  I know drivers for their trucks come in for a week or so then leave and come back again.

im sure any volunteer can find something. I find it odd the ask was for the whole tour.  That’s hard to do for many folks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

When a corps needs volunteers, and most do, the tasks volunteers are needed for vary, so a time commitment varies as well.  Sometimes chunks of time are needed, like a week or two or more.  Sometimes a brief helping hand is appreciated.

For instance Boston is looking for prop helpers and they are asking for a minimum 2 week commitment. If you can do that, they’ll fly you in and out.  I know drivers for their trucks come in for a week or so then leave and come back again.

im sure any volunteer can find something. I find it odd the ask was for the whole tour.  That’s hard to do for many folks.

Exactly. I know Spirit is asking for help at several of their stops on tour for even just a day. But not knowing what specific corps it is, it's really hard to say. 

• Like 1

I appreciate all the input the confusion I am having is because they don’t want any volunteers unless they can commit to the whole tour which we cannot. I would understand if they had an abundance of people helping or signed up but they don’t it just didn’t make sense to us. 

• Like 1

Jim only went for six days one year and 16 days another year.  They were happy to have him for any amount of time.  Heck, he would leave his seat and help moving props and stuff for a weekend a few times when he’d offer to help here in the Midwest.

Edited by Terri Schehr

42 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Exactly. I know Spirit is asking for help at several of their stops on tour for even just a day. But not knowing what specific corps it is, it's really hard to say. 

Sounds like Jim’s experience with the Cadets. When they were out of their region and here in the Midwest, they needed all the help they could get. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

I appreciate all the input the confusion I am having is because they don’t want any volunteers unless they can commit to the whole tour which we cannot. I would understand if they had an abundance of people helping or signed up but they don’t it just didn’t make sense to us. 

It’s not your decision and frankly it’s not really about you