Volunteering

My wife and I have volunteered for bits and pieces of tour for the past four seasons.  Sometimes for a month, a week here or there or a weekend.  I can’t imagine a Corps not wanting help for a weekend.  This sounds like either a misunderstanding or a corps with a tragically flawed culture.  If they don’t want parents / volunteers around I would find another corps to call home.  There are plenty around to choose from that value family participation.  And with all the bad staff dramas in recent years, I would never allow my young adults to be part of a corps that didn’t want parents around.

i recommend you ask some of the other parents on their “parent page” to see if this is just a misunderstanding .

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It’s not your decision and frankly it’s not really about you 

I never felt it was my decision or about me I was curious if it was like that at other corps and if anyone thought it was wrong to help out at a Corp my son was not part of and since you seem to know everything maybe you could answer that question without being obstinate. 

• Like 2

I've volunteered with corps for as little as a day and they've appreciated it and had no issues. I know some positions they want more of a commitment for but doing that for all positions and wanting you to volunteer the whole tour sounds strange. I'd take that to mean they have more than enough volunteers which is a good thing. 

23 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

I never felt it was my decision or about me I was curious if it was like that at other corps and if anyone thought it was wrong to help out at a Corp my son was not part of and since you seem to know everything maybe you could answer that question without being obstinate. 

You offer your help, if they so no thanks, you move on 

46 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

I never felt that the drum corps / performance experience was about me.  But everything about the safety of my kids is my business.  You don’t have to cede that ground to the corps staff.  Volunteer to drive a truck, flip burgers, sew uniforms or build props.  If I were you I would do whatever you have to do to get inside the organization and get to know the people who you are entrusting your young people with for 3+ months.  The really great corps will welcome you with open arms.  If they don’t, I would recommend you look for another corps that does.  We have and have been happy with the outcome.

There are plenty of bad news stories to go around, and believe me there are still some bad apples out there in the activity.  Keep your eyes open.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
Too many typos
  • Like 1

Maybe they got wind of your reputation as a psycho biker and wanted no part of that 😏

All the Corps we've been associated with -- Crown, Spirit, PC, Southwind, and Music City -- wanted and appreciated any help they could get. I know Crown would send volunteers out during tour for 2 weeks at a time, but if they were at a school close to you, you could drop in to help whenever you could.

I'm hoping this is just a miscommunication.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I never felt that the drum corps / performance experience was about me.  But everything about the safety of my kids is my business.  You don’t have to cede that ground to the corps staff.  Volunteer to drive a truck, flip burgers, sew uniforms or build props.  If I were you I would do whatever you have to do to get inside the organization and get to know the people who you are entrusting your young people with for 3+ months.  The really great corps will welcome you with open arms.  If they don’t, I would recommend you look for another corps that does.  We have and have been happy with the outcome.

There are plenty of bad news stories to go around, and believe me there are still some bad apples out there in the activity.  Keep your eyes open.

ever consider there might be more to this story? that's the vibe I'm getting...

13 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

All the Corps we've been associated with -- Crown, Spirit, PC, Southwind, and Music City -- wanted and appreciated any help they could get. I know Crown would send volunteers out during tour for 2 weeks at a time, but if they were at a school close to you, you could drop in to help whenever you could.

I'm hoping this is just a miscommunication.

times have changed a bit due to background checks for anyone coming in contact with the corps - it's a lot easier to manage now if you have a few unpaid and a few paid folks running the whole summer... 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

times have changed a bit due to background checks for anyone coming in contact with the corps - it's a lot easier to manage now if you have a few unpaid and a few paid folks running the whole summer... 

I was just about to mention that. You are correct. Thx!