Volunteering

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

times have changed a bit due to background checks for anyone coming in contact with the corps - it's a lot easier to manage now if you have a few unpaid and a few paid folks running the whole summer... 

Jim was fully background checked both years he was on tour.   He paid for it himself. 

• Like 2

My wife and I both had background checks this year and in years past and there’s never been a problem. 

41 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

times have changed a bit due to background checks for anyone coming in contact with the corps - it's a lot easier to manage now if you have a few unpaid and a few paid folks running the whole summer... 

The greater emphasis on member safety & security has definitely played a role in how volunteers are utilized.  Some corps have struggled internally with how to balance those key areas with the need/desire/openness of having people drop in & help for a couple hours or even a couple days.  In many cases, it's not practical for grandma & grandpa that live near a random show on tour to go through the necessary screening to be able to help with one or two meals before the corps moves on to the next stop.  At the same time, not putting them through that screening leaves the corps at risk on multiple levels.  It's easier in many cases to just politely decline their help.  Doing so is not nefarious by any means.  It's exactly what many people in the activity have been asking for.

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I’m so out of this conversation- can see where it’s headed a mile away. 

Any chance GD you're reading something into this topic and there's no shoe going to fall?

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim was fully background checked both years he was on tour.   He paid for it himself. 

And being in the Kilties wasn’t in the report? 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And being in the Kilties wasn’t in the report? 😂

Oh they knew he was an old junior Kilt.  He told some of the stories to his fellow volunteers.  Definitely a cautionary tale of why we don’t wanna go back there. 

• Haha 1

When I retired from the Army I contacted a corps  in April about volunteering over the summer. I was ready to go a month straight but had some doctor appointments and a few events I had to attend  in July,  The infamous Director of that corps told me that they only wanted to people who were loyal and could commit for the entire season. However in Mid June that same Corps was begging for people to  come out and help for a week or two even offering plane tickets or gas money,  I guess it would be idea to have the same crew all summer, but I know they lost me and probably a lot of others by trying to get a perfect volunteer,     

28 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

When I retired from the Army I contacted a corps  in April about volunteering over the summer. I was ready to go a month straight but had some doctor appointments and a few events I had to attend  in July,  The infamous Director of that corps told me that they only wanted to people who were loyal and could commit for the entire season. However in Mid June that same Corps was begging for people to  come out and help for a week or two even offering plane tickets or gas money,  I guess it would be idea to have the same crew all summer, but I know they lost me and probably a lot of others by trying to get a perfect volunteer,     

Logistically it's ideal to run with the same volunteer crew the entire summer.  Even if some are new at the start of the season, they quickly become part of a well-oiled and efficient team.   Constantly bringing on new people potentially means more training and a lot less efficiency.  But there's certainly another side to that coin.  

Edited by karuna

2 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I now understand why Mr. Dixon was a little agitated about this subject. In today’s environment, if you have to turn short term volunteers away due to the cost/benefit of vetting each person, then maybe that should be a reassuring thing, not a negative thing. 

Edited by HockeyDad