Taking the corps to the movies...

Since DCI is taking many of us to the movie theaters next week (if Detroit is showing within a zillion miles and you can stay up [on a school night] for those West Coast-oriented hours...first corps not until 8:30 p.m. Eastern time,) perhaps its time to take a different look at this upcoming memorable season.  Probably none other has seen such a turn over of CE0's/corps directors/corps managers  with so many new faces in administration for major and wanna-be major corps. In short, there's been a major turnover not only at DCI BOD meetings but in who are the people who decide what a corps does on its break day/rainday/extended laundry day besides polish the equipment, clean the laundry, and rest, rest rest.  Over the almost five decades of DCI, there are corps like Regiment who goes bowling, some corps have tackled the beaches and pools to go swimming, and several who devote the time to I&E practice and other personal interests.  A number of the corps have rented a theater to see a movie or vegge out.  Have you a suggestion for what's a good movie for a corps to see together (that they haven't already seen on their in-bus TVs going down the interstates from nowhereville to poedunk?)

What do you suggest (entertaining, educational, bonding, comedy, Rick Steve's travelogue for the next part of tour...???) Where would you take the corps?

Someone passed this on to me? https://www.providencejournal.com/thingstodo?_ev_id=1668814g_%2522the_band%27s_visit%2522

Where would you tell the newbie admins to go?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Miracle - the greatest team bonding film ever. 

Although, in 1975 at AL Nationals in Minneapolis, our corps director thought dropping us off at a theater playing Jaws would be a nice way to relax. Sal Webber thought it would be a good idea to bring along a squirt gun into the theater loaded with fake blood and when the right time came.....well, you can imagine. 

• Haha 1

A List of Team Bonding Films

Movies can stir our feelings and emotions in a way that cannot be achieved with words alone. If you’re looking to inspire a team, showing a movie that features strong teamwork can bond a group with a common appreciation of the power of working together.

Here's a list of Team Bonding Films that promote team building, positive team dynamics and leadership (Sorted by Date)

(1963) The Great Escape
 Based on a true story, a group of 250 men escape from a German prisoner of war camp in 1944. This film embodies the ability be resourceful, establish specific roles within a group and to overcome the odds in extreme adversity.

(1984) Ghostbusters
 There is something inspiring about a troupe of disorganized parapsychologists working together to fight supernatural foes. In the face of super slimy and puffy danger, the Ghostbusters stress the importance of all the working parts of a team. Improvement, leadership, practice and teamwork are all major themes you can’t miss. FYI: Both the original and remake are great for team building!

(1989) Dead Poet’s Society
 English teacher John Keating inspires his students to look at poetry with a different perspective of authentic knowledge and feelings.

(1989) Glory
 A film based on the fight of the U.S. Civil War’s first all-black regiment to overcome prejudice and become a successful and cohesive unit.

(1992) The Mighty Ducks
 Leave it to beautiful-haired Coach Gordon Bombay to give epic team building advice. This classic 90s movie covers everything from teamwork to building focus.  The Ducks may have started at the bottom but they fly to the top. Why? Because of awesome leadership and primo teamwork, of course.

(1993) Cool Runnings
 A group of Jamaican bobsledders can’t help but dream of the Olympics.  Thanks to a disgraced former bobsled coach, their dream becomes a reality. While this isn’t your classic sports movie, Cool Runnings is a gold mine of lessons, from leadership to team spirit.

(1995) Apollo 13
 This classic Ron Howard film is based on the true story of the 13th Apollo mission to the moon. After their spacecraft undergoes massive internal damage, the astronauts must work together against the odds and devise a strategy to return to Earth. Commander Jim Lovell maintains control in a chaotic situation which inspires the confidence of his group. Apollo 13 is a great example of showing team members working together to overcome adversity.

1999) Any Given Sunday
 A behind-the-scenes look at the life-and-death struggles of modern-day Pro Football players and those who lead them.

(2000) Remember the Titans
 A true story about the T.C Williams High School football team and the trials and tribulations they experience as they attempt to unite with a football team from a different culture. As they begin to trust each other and focus on a common goal, they win the state championship. Remember the Titans is a great film that perfectly illustrates hard work, dedication, leadership, sacrifice and success.

(2000) Thirteen Days
 A dramatization of President Kennedy’s struggle to contain the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962. This film studies how a leader and his team confront a crisis and stay focused despite huge pressures from both inside and outside the organization.

(2001) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
 J.R.R. Tolkien was a master storyteller, but he also was an expert in strong teams and excellent leaders. The movie adaptation of The Fellowship of Ring is full of lessons on greed, power and bad leadership. The most important takeaway for teams: how a successful project hinges on the strength of the bond between its participants.

(2001) Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure
 Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure is a true story of Shackleton’s 1914 Endurance expedition to the South Pole and his epic struggle to lead his 28-man crew to safety after his ship was crushed in the pack ice.

(2001-2011) The Harry Potter Movies
 When you’re fighting the wizard-Devil himself, teamwork becomes second nature. The Harry Potter books and movies stress the importance of teams and how each individual contributes to the overall success of the group. Where would Harry be without Hermione, Ron and Dumbledore (and everyone else who helps him)?

(2004) Miracle
 This film tells the true story of Herb Brooks, the player-turned-coach who led the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team to victory over the seemingly invincible Russian squad and illustrates that the chemistry and loyalty within a team are as important as talent.

(2005) Coach Carter
 The true story of Ken Carter, a top basketball player, who returns to his local high school and coaches its dysfunctional basketball team. Using the players common love of the game and their need to be part of something bigger, Coach Carter transforms the team to one based on discipline, hard work and courage.

(2006) Facing the Giants
 The story of a losing coach with an underdog football team facing their fears of failure head on. The team manages to achieve surprising results by having faith and giving their very best at all times.

(2006) Glory Road
 Glory Road is a story of how Texas Western coach Don Haskins led the first all-black starting line-up for a college basketball team to the NCAA national championship.

(2006) Take the Lead
 The true story of a dance teacher who believes in the talent of a group of “problem” kids. This film recognizes the power and importance of every single member in a team.

(2007) Chak De India
 Chak De India is a story of a hockey player who returns to the game as a coach of a women’s hockey team.

(2009) Invictus
 This movie shows the inspiring true life story of Nelson Mandela’s first days as president of South Africa and how he joins forces with the captain of the South African Rugby team to help unite their country. Invictus is an inspiring movie about building a good team in troubling circumstances and illustrates the first class leadership qualities of Mandela.

(2012) Pitch Perfect
 After hard year, The Barden Bellas, a college female acapella group, is forced to rebuild their reputation. By building a new and extremely diverse team and going against traditional acapella standards, the Barden Bellas succeed in shaking up the acapella world. The Bellas learn that differences are strengths, traditions can be broken, great leadership comes in many forms

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Titles Found At The Following Urls

6 Movies To Get Your Team Motivated - Museum Hack
https://museumhack.com › Blog › Team Building

Best Teamwork Movies (Listed By year)
http://teamworkdefinition.com/bestteamworkmovies/

10 Inspirational movies for teams - FocusU Engage India
https://focusu.com/blog/10-inspirational-movies-for-teams/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

A List of Team Bonding Films

Movies can stir our feelings and emotions in a way that cannot be achieved with words alone. If you’re looking to inspire a team, showing a movie that features strong teamwork can bond a group with a common appreciation of the power of working together.

Here's a list of Team Bonding Films that promote team building, positive team dynamics and leadership (Sorted by Date)

(2000) Remember the Titans
 A true story about the T.C Williams High School football team and the trials and tribulations they experience as they attempt to unite with a football team from a different culture. As they begin to trust each other and focus on a common goal, they win the state championship. Remember the Titans is a great film that perfectly illustrates hard work, dedication, leadership, sacrifice and success.

Great job in compiling this posting. Thank you.

A side note about Remember the Titans.  Some of the pivotal scenes the movie would have you believe occur in Gettysburg, PA battlefield and college. It so happens that one Gino Cipriani (currently on BAC staff) off seasons as a prof there about the same time he moved from A-town.  But in fact if one stays and reads the little print at the end of the film, the scenes of college dorms, forests and fields were all shot on the campus of Berry College in Rome, Georgia which is the alma mater of David Warren, current corps mgr. of Phantom Regiment; that Rome is where he is also a band director.  Full service drum corps information here at DCP.

Edited by xandandl

I think Jurassic Park would be great to get them used to dealing with old Alumni, and so they could really understand what it was like " Back in the Day"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I think Jurassic Park would be great to get them used to dealing with old Alumni, and so they could really understand what it was like " Back in the Day"

Thank you.

Just trying to fill in those last weeks of ST/Pre-tour/Everydays, whatever when we all seek to sneak a peak of some full show rehearsal, or as I guess we call it currently The Game of Drones.

Movie theater or bowling were always good, seeing Spider-man 2 after a July 4 parade in 2004 is a good memory.

If someone tried to force me to watch a team-bonding movie on free time I’d want to punch them in the face. Not that plenty of rest wasn’t wasted for someone’s crackpot “motivational” BS  during my career...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that movies would probably not be the best choice. In my travels, I always enjoyed the museums especially the one in Chicago. It's huge. BD members got to see the real painting they were trying to create on the field. I think that was awesome for the members

22 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Movie theater or bowling were always good, seeing Spider-man 2 after a July 4 parade in 2004 is a good memory.

If someone tried to force me to watch a team-bonding movie on free time I’d want to punch them in the face. Not that plenty of rest wasn’t wasted for someone’s crackpot “motivational” BS  during my career...

I wanted to see Blazing Saddles or goofy crap like that.