2019 Predictions

9 hours ago, Algernon said:

Eliminate those complaining about the lack of railings at Championship site and DCP might as well delete the ALL AGE forums

I hope that's meant to be humorous. Have you been to the contest site and seen people in their 60's and 70's having trouble negotiating the stands? I have. It outright scared me. A lot of them could have been my Mom and Dad. A lot of the crowd makes me look like a kid and I'm 56. Have you had to sit with your family and try and figure out how to get Dad in the contest site and realize it's a no-go because his knees are shot and it's too dangerous? I have. 

It's a real and serious safety issue. I negotiated those steps personally last fall from top to bottom at another event and felt pretty nervous myself about taking a fall. My workplace pushes a minimum of three-point contact on any steps at all times. That is impossible at STA stadium. I personally think the School District has been lucky that someone hasn't went for a tumble and been sued. It's an easy fix and one that should be done. 

Aside from that- I'm not sure how to respond to the rest of the post. I'm not sure just where you're going with it and what agenda if any you're trying to pursue. You want to talk about DCA's issues and why I chose a Saturday with old friends instead of going to Milton, ask. I went last year, and the stands were packed with mostly locals and area people from Lewisburg who lost their contest a few years back. It was well attended. I'll phrase the question: Why should I go to a DCA show that's not Finals weekend unless it's daggone close, or I have family or friends in a corps...or I'm an alumni of the host corps? I've thought about this for the past several years and came to some conclusions. Food for thought.

That being said, if you do have a friend or family in a corps, GO. They'll always remember you showed them some respect and support. If you're an alumni, certain shows are like Penn State Homecoming for you. For me, none of the above applies.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigW said:

I hope that's meant to be humorous. Have you been to the contest site and seen people in their 60's and 70's having trouble negotiating the stands? I have. It outright scared me. A lot of them could have been my Mom and Dad. A lot of the crowd makes me look like a kid and I'm 56. Have you had to sit with your family and try and figure out how to get Dad in the contest site and realize it's a no-go because his knees are shot and it's too dangerous? I have. 

It's a real and serious safety issue. I negotiated those steps personally last fall from top to bottom at another event and felt pretty nervous myself about taking a fall. My workplace pushes a minimum of three-point contact on any steps at all times. That is impossible at STA stadium. I personally think the School District has been lucky that someone hasn't went for a tumble and been sued. It's an easy fix and one that should be done. 

Aside from that- I'm not sure how to respond to the rest of the post. I'm not sure just where you're going with it and what agenda if any you're trying to pursue. You want to talk about DCA's issues and why I chose a Saturday with old friends instead of going to Milton, ask. I went last year, and the stands were packed with mostly locals and area people from Lewisburg who lost their contest a few years back. It was well attended. I'll phrase the question: Why should I go to a DCA show that's not Finals weekend unless it's daggone close, or I have family or friends in a corps...or I'm an alumni of the host corps? I've thought about this for the past several years and came to some conclusions. Food for thought.

That being said, if you do have a friend or family in a corps, GO. They'll always remember you showed them some respect and support. If you're an alumni, certain shows are like Penn State Homecoming for you. For me, none of the above applies.

I’m so happy that I’m not walking up and down that narrow aisle of steps. 

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I did, too but when you have people coming at you from the other direction....kind of scary. 

Probably a good idea that alcohol is not sold there. :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BigW said:

I didn't go to Milton. I came home from Disney that afternoon. I'll be in Landisville next week.

and as for Williamsport, I personally helped save a few folks from eating it on the steps last year. older folks. I'm 50 and I felt young. It's a ####### hazard, and as I said last year, if speaking up about the venue sucking in multiple facets makes me an internet troll per the DCA president's rant...err speech before awards....so be it. The worst complaints came from people IN corps on multiple social media outlets, and good lord.....you think we were bad....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I didn't go to Milton. I came home from Disney that afternoon. I'll be in Landisville next week.

and as for Williamsport, I personally helped save a few folks from eating it on the steps last year. older folks. I'm 50 and I felt young. It's a ####### hazard, and as I said last year, if speaking up about the venue sucking in multiple facets makes me an internet troll per the DCA president's rant...err speech before awards....so be it. The worst complaints came from people IN corps on multiple social media outlets, and good lord.....you think we were bad....

The response from the individual at Finals energized me to speak out. I felt insulted and being condescended to, and I know others felt that way. May as well have called anyone who griped a 'Deplorable'.

• Like 2

Maybe we should predict what corps will be gone next year. I hope none but........

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

The response from the individual at Finals energized me to speak out. I felt insulted and being condescended to, and I know others felt that way. May as well have called anyone who griped a 'Deplorable'.

when I heard the internet troll remark during the awards rant...err speech....my eyes popped out of my head. my phone started blowing up with texts  from PEOPLE ON THE FIELD  saying "did I just hear that right?". Oh yes you did.

Wanna know why it got little coverage....how many people were actually there?

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Maybe we should predict what corps will be gone next year. I hope none but........

sad but true reality