2019 Predictions

7 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This statement alone is one of the best reasons why Annapolis was such a great location.  The access is so great for all involved.  The curfew item was an issue, I know.  So is the availability due to the Academy football schedule.

Yes, I know I'm being a homer.  Fran can back me up on that one.

yes but it costs more than DCA is willing to or can pay

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Wow, the one year my friend backed into my wagon but at least it was drivable.

In terms of venues for a championship, definitely Annapolis for me, but I went to the DCI/DCA show in Chester a few years back, and the parking was a bit of a pain, and driving through Chester was a bit of an adventure, but it was a pretty daggone good venue for a contest. The only gripe there was the rather expensive seats in the prime seating area. I paid 45 for mine in the area just below those, and those top end seats were nowhere near filled.

real turf. if it had been there in 12, instead of Annapolis, prelims would have been washed out

1 hour ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Yeah, Hershey was cool way back when. Don't know if HERCO's more reasonable than in the past.

But these discussions about bigger stadia are getting a little ahead of where we are in the game at this point. Right now, we need to get more corps so we get more butts in the seats, so more corps are sustainable, so we get yet more butts in the seats, so, etc., etc. . I was having a discussion with my wife last night about that issue. We were talking about how growth actually makes it easier for already-existing organizations. Take WGI. We used to see South Shore Drill Team from Chicago, for example, at shows in the northeast pretty regularly. Now, because there are so many WGI participants EVERYWHERE, we don't, because they don't HAVE to travel like that anymore to compete against appropriate peers, until Dayton week.  And I'm not even going to chime in on "The Labor Day Issue" - Way too many good points on both sides of that.

Just anywhere but Rochester again. PLEASE!

HERCO will not book that stadium out during prime concert season for anything that isn't guaranteed to fill it....both sides, and the field too. 

4 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Wondered about Chester myself - Heard only great things about the actual stadium. Hadn't heard yet that parking was at all difficult (Gotta be easier than Billtown, though, right?).

Great stadium in Chester. But the town itself.... yikes.

Went there once, in 2014... and like W said, those private lots will try to sucker you in. Don't fall for it... head for the actual stadium lots instead.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

real turf. if it had been there in 12, instead of Annapolis, prelims would have been washed out

And the Annapolis mayor was quite gracious, in waiving the noise-ordinance restriction that prelims night.

Aside from the drum corps stuff, I've worked several band shows there... and honestly, we bent that noise rule just a tad on at least one or two occasions.  LOL.

The worst aspect of Annapolis was the stadium management (per Maryland law) taking control of the prelims contest away from DCA during the rain/lightning storm. DCA should not hold a contest in a state that gives the stadium management that power.

17 minutes ago, traverbanking said:

The worst aspect of Annapolis was the stadium management (per Maryland law) taking control of the prelims contest away from DCA during the rain/lightning storm. DCA should not hold a contest in a state that gives the stadium management that power.

so, DCA should just be given carte blanche? Um no. Given how poorly they run themselves, I'm all for stadium management looking out for their facility. Remember this is a circuit that ran prelims in 2006 during a tropical storm, with a few corps performing in the absolute worst of it, and not caring a #### bit until it was worse than unsafe

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

HERCO will not book that stadium out during prime concert season for anything that isn't guaranteed to fill it....both sides, and the field too. 

As I said, HERCO being HERCO. I just have a disconnect with them.

9 hours ago, traverbanking said:

The only "control" that stadium management had was imposing the mandatory delay until re-start when lightning was detected in the area.

It's stadium policy, for any event held there. And that venue is one of many nationwide with a similar policy...I've seen numerous college football games delayed at numerous stadiums. 

The policy is there for a good reason... the safety of the participants and spectators.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The only "control" that stadium management had was imposing the mandatory delay until re-start when lightning was detected in the area.

It's stadium policy, for any event held there. And that venue is one of many nationwide with a similar policy...I've seen numerous college football games delayed at numerous stadiums. 

The policy is there for a good reason... the safety of the participants and spectators.

it's stadium policy pretty much everywhere but whatever name Stadium in 2006 in Rochester as Ernesto blew through prelims. Honestly anyone sane would have left, but for those of us dumb enough to be there and not be paid to be there or marching, it became like a badge of honor to stick it out