DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

Just now, Poppycock said:

The consensus of those in the theater was Bluecoats is definitely going to be a medal contender. Boston has a far better designed show than Crown and the BAC guard is simply fabulous. Crowns brass is the diamond in their production, but there are no visual WOW moments to be found. Guard is blah. 

Tammy Faye was the talk of the town around us between performances. Loved her nails. 

Hmmm.  I beginning to think that I missed something.  I really felt like the BAC design was a bit... on the nose. Much like some recent theatrical Crown shows.  And I felt like Crown broke out of the bubble and went a little more figurative... more thoughtful and mature.  More like a championship show of that kind.

I'll have to see these two again soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There was a dust up that almost came to fisticuffs next to me at the theater.  One chick was sitting in the wrong seat and these two are screaming and yelling at each other.  I thought was going to have to get out my police-strength pepper spray and blackjack.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I thought Bluecoats ran away with this show. Very surprised to see how close the scores were. But the performances (at least from the theater) were all pretty good. Surprised Phantom and Blue Stars didn’t score higher than Cadets.

Aside from Bluecoats, my favorite show was Blue Stars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

Um...the entire Cadets 2004 show was Jethro Tull, so not Beatles, not even sorta.

I’d love to know the thought process behind choosing Jethro Tull music for a drum corps show. Definitely one of The Cadets more forgettable shows.

Just now, wilme861 said:

Agreed, last year was a fluke year for them in my eyes. Kids were very talented but that book just didn’t give them a chance to show what they could do. First miss in quite a few years for that Bluecoats percussion staff.

Yeah.  They had to just dance with the one that brung them last year.  A big rewrite would have messed up the show.

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Hmmm.  I beginning to think that I missed something.  I really felt like the BAC design was a bit... on the nose. Much like some recent theatrical Crown shows.  And I felt like Crown broke out of the bubble and went a little more figurative... more thoughtful and mature.  More like a championship show of that kind.

I don't think you missed anything. After finally seeing a video of BAC (tonight's show - thank you to the person who sent it to me), I agree. Crown's show is more mature and has more content from a brass and visual standpoint. Boston's guard is GLORIOUS though. I'm a guard person, so I will be loving BAC all season for that, but it's a 5th/6th place show. Crown's was written to win. Now, will it win is the question!

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bloo you definitely have a contender there. That brass could be in the running in my opinion.

I was iffy on crowns show from their dress rehearsal video but I fell in love with it seeing it tonight!

And Boston I’m believing the hype! Loved it!

Bloo crowd favorite by a landslide in my theater.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

The CONSTANT narration really kills the enjoyment of the show for me, it's very juvenile.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Just now, DFA1970 said:

First show complete, No real surprises.  Coats and Crown are close and BAC is not far back. I don’t put much stock in early scores because it’s all new and the season is just starting. So the Bluecoats have a Beatles show? Didn’t the Cadets have a sorta Beatles show in 2004? 

Cadets did a Jethro Tull show in ‘04. It was weird.

I think most of the Cadets' shows in the mid 2000s were weird.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1