DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

18 minutes ago, dans said:

That is what I said to my wife when Bluecoats were done tonight! I thought 2016 when I watched them. Honestly, Bluecoats were the only corps I was entertained by tonight. They were the only corps that was fresh and exciting. Absolutely love the 2019 Bluecoats! I was a bit surprised how close Crown and Boston were to Bluecoats. I thought Bluecoats were on a different level tonight.

Agree 100%. I was actually a little bored by everyone else.

BTW -  if Boston’s show is about the underdog as they say, shouldn’t it be titled David? And not Goliath. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

In what sense? Entertainment? If so, perhaps I could agree. Performance wise, obviously not. 

totally disagree.  Crown was very sloppy.

Just now, EricS said:

totally disagree.  Crown was very sloppy.

Well, I'll go with the opinion of a qualified panel of judges. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kudos to the Bluecoats design staff...pure genius! They are on a different level. Absolutely love this show! The only show tonight that was actually interesting and entertaining and it didn't feel like a rehash of tired old ideas. Shows like this are the only reason I still follow this activity.

• Like 5

Throwing in my two cents before I read other comments.

Bluecoats first was no surprise and the style of show was not a surprise. To me, they tend to go in two year patterns where their shows are more similar than dissimilar. As much as I enjoyed the show, I’m not sure it will pack the punch last year’s show did. I would like “I Want You/She’s so Heavy” to have the same power and energy it had tonight but be a bit crisper. This show will be a crowd pleaser and may eat these words later in the season.

Crown: the brass is powerful, no question, and the show even at this early stage seems more cohesive than last year, or at least I think it is more cohesive. I thought this was the poorest filmed show of the night. Lots of close ups of marching members, which for me blocked out what  was happening visually. “Gabriel’s Oboe” was amazing.

Boston Crusaders: expected 2nd, loved the show. I did not see the jitters with BAC I saw with three corps that preceded them and can see a great deal of potential in the show. I’ve learned not to judge any corps but especially Boston Crusaders, in June. However, this is easily the strongest BAC I have ever seen and the most ready for the season. 

Cadets: good show, but very jittery. There were certain areas I thought they handled well, namely moving the props which I would imagine is tricky. I expect “Bridge” to pack a punch as the season progresses. 

Blue Stars show was interesting, but most years there is a clear Blue Stars moment, not sure I could detect it tonight.

Phantom: hard to wrap up in a few lines what I want to say. It is much better than many detractors predicted, but parts were woefully under rehearsed. While it depends on what Spirit, Academy. Crossmen, and Colts bring to the field, I don’t expect Phantom will lose ground, but I don’t see them gaining ground either. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EricS said:

i don't agree with music scores at all.  Crown was again play fast notes, stop and blow really loud.  I don't remember any of their music.  BC's show was very memorable.

Not exactly how music is judged lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EricS said:

i don't agree with music scores at all.  Crown was again play fast notes, stop and blow really loud.  I don't remember any of their music.  BC's show was very memorable.

Because everyone knows Bloo’s music already!  

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

Not exactly how music is judged lol

Exactly. I am excited about the potential of Crown's show this year, and I can't wait to see Bluecoats. So bummed they are not going to be on Flo Sunday night.

But, all I'm thinking about right now is BAC's guard! 

well, while trapped in Disney i missed seeing the shows in the theater and a bunch of people swinging their johnsons on DCP.

Same ####, different year

• Like 2
  • Haha 5