DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

I loved the Bluecoats, at least visually. Far and away the best costumes of the night - every single person was interesting to look at, and the full ensemble look was awesome. I'm not convinced Lennon/McCartney is what DCI is going to reward musically in 2019, but it was pretty catchy.

I really loved Crown musically. My favorite book of theirs since Inferno. The uniforms look better than I expected on the field. I'm not convinced the run-and-gun drill is what DCI is going to reward visually in 2019, but it was pretty exciting to watch.

Those two got the biggest reactions in my theater.

Blue Stars were pretty good. I was kind of surprised they were 2 points behind Cadets.

I hope Cadets' uniforms look better live. On camera, they looked like a bunch of short gray and brown blobs in all the ensemble shots. I am not quite sure what to make of the queen having her clothes ripped off and then getting physically assaulted on the 50 yard line - maybe it sounded like a better idea on paper. I did like the music book, but seems like the show itself is a work in progress.

• Like 2

My son just called from his Blue Stars Bus...his post show analysis:

— The turf had never been used nor marched on so PR was the first guinea pig.  He said it was like marching on Velcro with the shoes they wear. No give either. 

— The big double line form ended up 5 yards off at the end of Movement I. Captain Picard: “Helmsman, initiate massive recovery in Movement II and....engage.”

— Prevailing feeling by many was “Well, ok then...at least we got that out of the way...😑” I relayed the info about this being their best first show score since 2010 that was posted elsewhere; that seemed to help. 

Edited by TRacer
Typoz
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, I'll go with the opoodinion of a qualified panel of judges. 

good

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

I’d love to know the thought process behind choosing Jethro Tull music for a drum corps show. Definitely one of The Cadets more forgettable shows.

I’m getting old, and my memory fails me at times. Did they play most of that show balancing on one leg?

Cadets: Really like the props. The drill is a huge step backwards for me. Feel like I'm going to have to come back to this later in the season.

Boston Crusaders: Great visual moments especially with the guard. Ballad could use some tweaks, but loved rest of the music. Just so much raw energy. Overall I think it's a great vehicle for them.

Carolina Crown: Best ballad of the night. Felt like quite a traditional show, which I kinda liked but at the same time I don't feel like I saw anything new, felt very vanilla. Might hold them back mid-season but they're in a good place overall.

Bluecoats: Felt like a fever dream, a good one. Really well designed. It'll be a classic I think.

Missed Blue Stars and Phantom.

Edited by Narrow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I just saw the show announcement from the Bluecoats. I am interested, but my first thought was that my dad would greatly dislike the show. His sisters would NOT stop playing the Beatles and he was stuck listening to them where ever he went. Either way, I hope they have a great run!

It's a wonder my Dad didn't hate the Beatles, too. I had an early morning summer job putting meals on airplanes. Dad would drive me to the airport around 5am each morning and we'd listen to the radio for the 5-10 minute drive. It seems that was always the time the DJ took his potty break so the only song we ever heard that summer was Hey Jude due to its length.

i liked Maynard's version a bit better. In concert during the "NA NA NA NAAAA" ending, the trumpet section would go out and stand surrounding the audience and see who could "scream" the loudest and highest. Heaven!

1 hour ago, dans said:

Kudos to the Bluecoats design staff...pure genius! They are on a different level. Absolutely love this show! The only show tonight that was actually interesting and entertaining and it didn't feel like a rehash of tired old ideas. Shows like this are the only reason I still follow this activity.

Loved the show as well, but they have to either get rid of or tone down that synth bass. Man it was annoying.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yogitom said:

Loved the show as well, but they have to either get rid of or tone down that synth bass. Man it was annoying.

I didn't realize the theater I attended had a subwoofer until Bloo. 

• Haha 1