DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

4 minutes ago, BWise said:

I was wondering about these stats 

Spreads were pretty identical to last year, especially if you sub in Cavaliers for Boston Crusaders.  Top two a few tenths apart with 3rd about a point back from 2nd.  

And in 2017 Bluecoats nuked opening night and ended up losing to two that they beat pretty handily in June.   Goes to show tonight is just the beginning.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

The quality was excellent as far as filming was concerned, but there were far too many close ups and not enough views of the entire show, at least not for me.

For me, too. That's not bad in August when a lot of us and the production crew know what to expect. But for the early shows, I'd prefer more high cam. We don't yet know what's involved in the whole show, and we were all (obviously) chained to what producers wanted, even though they could not have know a great deal about the shows (even if they did some previewing).

A personal peeve and accompanying rant: why always so many camera seconds on the single guard member moving and posing solo? I know it's usually meant to link to the narrative. It's often a very tenuous link, however, and IMO. And while I'm forced to watch that person doing hand waves – I know what they will be because nearly every soloist appears to me to make the same motions – there are 100+ others doing something on the field.

Also – since I'm sure the designers want more of my opinion – dramatic climaxes ought to consist of something other than a high fist pump.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

For me, too. That's not bad in August when a lot of us and the production crew know what to expect. But for the early shows, I'd prefer more high cam. We don't yet know what's involved in the whole show, and we were all (obviously) chained to what producers wanted, even though they could not have know a great deal about the shows (even if they did some previewing).

A personal peeve and accompanying rant: why always so many camera seconds on the single guard member moving and posing solo? I know it's usually meant to link to the narrative. It's often a very tenuous link, however, and IMO. And while I'm forced to watch that person doing hand waves – I know what they will be because nearly every soloist appears to me to make the same motions – there are 100+ others doing something on the field.

Also – since I'm sure the designers want more of my opinion – dramatic climaxes ought to consist of something other than a high fist pump.

The corps do play to the cameras. I take numerous photos at shows with a lens that allows me to get good shots from my seat, often waste up. You rarely see the Colgate smiles, the facial expressions of the drummers, etc. in the still shots, at a show such as DCI East, though you will see the fist pumps after a solo or when equipment is caught. Tom Blair video cameras on, it’s a different story. This is not just a drum corps issue. I went to an a capella contest a few months ago. I watched a group practicing beforehand (a friend’s son was a member). They stood up straight, did a few dance moves, but no facial expressions or fist pumps or the like. On stage they did all the facial expressions, a fist bump handshake prior to a solo, fist pumps after a solo, and every kind of male bonding move possible. The audience loved it. I think it’s what appeals to many today.

My thoughts

Phantom's got a lot of meat on the bones for this show, but there's a lot of dirt, especially visually. I think the ceiling is very high for them If they can clean it. This could finish 9th.

Blue Stars have very clean brass, visual isn't great, but as with Phantom, a lot of demand. 

Cadets. Not sure what to make of this one. Didn't do a ton of research, not sure where this'll go. 

Boston got it. Everything is there, just need to grow. My favorite concept of the night. 

Crown exceeded my expectations. Another odd year think piece show, but I liked it. Medal shot depending on Cali corps. 

Bluecoats. Very well executed, but I'm not sure about the theme. Then again, I felt this way about last year, and it grew on me as the season went on, so we'll see.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

My wife and I went to the AMC Theater in Paramus ,N.J.

1.When we got there, the only way to buy tickets was with  automated kiosks.

It wasn't a problem for us.But some people were having problems figuring out how to use them.

Several of the kiosks said they took cash or credit.

But none of them took cash.

There wasn't anyone around ,anywhere ,to ask for help .

Unlike last year,they did require  you to select seats.

2..Last year ,at at the same theater , they forgot to turn on the BLL broadcast.

I told a Manager about it.By the time they got the broadcast on,we had missed most of the 

first corps.

Last night  the screen was still dark at 8:25.

I figured,after what happened last year,I'd tell a Manager about the live broadcast at 8:30.

First off,good luck finding a Manager.

Finally,one of the ticket takers got on a walkie/talkie.

After some back and forth discussion,somebody was able to get

the broadcast on.

It came on,just in time to catch Phantom.

3.They were able to get the broadcast on.

But,they left the houselights on for the whole show.

Our ticket stubs had a request to do an on line survey.

I don't think AMC will be thrilled with our responses.

Our theater didn’t get the shoe on the screen until about three minutes into Phantom. First glitch I’ve had at this theater in all of the years I’ve been attending 

1 hour ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

My thoughts

Phantom's got a lot of meat on the bones for this show, but there's a lot of dirt, especially visually. I think the ceiling is very high for them If they can clean it. This could finish 9th.

Blue Stars have very clean brass, visual isn't great, but as with Phantom, a lot of demand. 

Cadets. Not sure what to make of this one. Didn't do a ton of research, not sure where this'll go. 

Boston got it. Everything is there, just need to grow. My favorite concept of the night. 

Crown exceeded my expectations. Another odd year think piece show, but I liked it. Medal shot depending on Cali corps. 

Bluecoats. Very well executed, but I'm not sure about the theme. Then again, I felt this way about last year, and it grew on me as the season went on, so we'll see.

I totally agree, its shaping up to be a great year!

Boston was also our favorite of the night. Strong in all sections and a great, well designed show concept. They are one of those corps that always seem to get stronger as the season progresses

I would not be at all surprised if they take Bronze come August! (In fact I would be kind of surprised if they dont!)

• Like 1

My only issue is with Lindsey Vento - she tried waaaaaay to hard to contribute to the broadcast, and talked when she should have been quiet.  Even Rondo had to run over her a few times to get the name of the corps out before they started.  She may be very qualified as a designer, but not everyone is cut out for a broadcast like this!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

My only issue is with Lindsey Vento - she tried waaaaaay to hard to contribute to the broadcast, and talked when she should have been quiet.  Even Rondo had to run over her a few times to get the name of the corps out before they started.  She may be very qualified as a designer, but not everyone is cut out for a broadcast like this!!!

Agreed. Anyone else think of Tammy Faye Baker...?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, craiga said:

Agreed. Anyone else think of Tammy Faye Baker...?

Didn't put it together last night as I was throwing popcorn at the screen to get her to pipe down, but now that you mention it, absolutely. 

(Said with apologies to I Am Joan and The Cadets for commenting on the appearances of women in the workplace )

• Like 2