DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

2 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Bluecoats: It's one thing to put out a great show. It's another thing to redefine great. As fans, can we ever look at the activity the same way again after seeing Bluecoats 2019? Ā North Canton is stepping outside of our expectations and leading the activity toward their vision. Ā There is no question that this corps will be competing for a medal. Ā If they can keep their technical achievement above the competition, it will be gold. Last year's Achilles' heel, the now revitalized percussion section, swept that category. Ā Staging, costuming, showmanship... all on another level. One of my favorite moments: the brass line in a wide circle, playing a decrescendoĀ chord, and holding it over many counts. Ā Never staying too long on a given piece, they touch 19 different songs. How many pieces of music have we heard butchered by drum corps?? Ā Bluecoats 2019 is an example of a drum corps truly enhancing the original music. Yes, they could show Paul McCartney a new way to repackage the White Album. Ā Seriously... as a businessperson, wouldn't it be sick for the rights holders to make a deal with Bluecoats for their show to be a trailer for the White Album's re-release? Ā Enough dreaming... they're off the field. Ā Prime example: the best don't merely do this activity well... they have a vision of making the whole activity better.

There you go. Ā  šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

• Like 3

Carolina Crown:Ā Crown's design team dug deep this past off season and swung for the fence.Ā  The look, the repertoire, and the overall show are a huge improvement over 2018.Ā  The uniforms are stunning, from the stands and close up.Ā  Did not get a good read on the props but, with drill that good, who needs them? I'm no culture vulture.Ā  Drum corps has provided me with so many types of new music.Ā  Crown's music will be added to my playlists.Ā  Percussion is strong.Ā  Guard may be the "weaker" section, but it was not noticeable because they were staged and choreographed to enhance the things that are right.Ā  Love the sequential rifle toss down the front sideline.Ā 

Klesch and Harloff know:Ā good brass needs no embellishments.Ā Just like the percussion section is given their moments, Crown provides interludes of beautiful brass withĀ no banging, no dinging, no cymbals, no synthesizer.Ā It's GE Brass 101: swell into a loud, balanced, in-tune chord that ends in a perfect release... followed by dead silence.Ā  F.t.l.o.G., do not punctuate it with percussion!Ā  It's a brass effect that's always a winner,Ā never gets old, and Crown always does it well. Ā Overall, this show is fresh and a much better look/feel from last year.

Edited by Ediker
clarity
  • Like 7

On 6/21/2019 at 4:28 PM, Terri Schehr said:

The best football game I ever watched had no announcers.Ā 

The best DCI show I ever watched was ā€˜89, when the late, legendary sports commentator Curt Gowdy rodeĀ shotgun with Rondo @ Arrow Head Stadium, backĀ when PBS broadcasted the top 5 on finals night. DCI was hyping the whole Summer Music Games concept, and CG added some gravitas for the athleticism of the activity.

A few years back,Ā at my first NightBEAT, I geeked out and asked Rondo to sign my program, with a paraphrase of what he remarked to one of Curtā€™s questionsĀ that evening, decades before.

ā€Curt, thereĀ canā€™t be ANY mistakes tonight.ā€

While Gowdy certainly wasnā€™t a DCI insider, for me he is inexorably linked to one of the greatest, all time finals.

Edited by nsxanax
Grammar
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

The best DCI show I ever watched was ā€˜89, when the late, legendary sports commentator Curt Gowdy rodeĀ shotgun with Rondo @ Arrow Head Stadium, backĀ when PBS broadcasted the top 5 on finals night. DCI was hyping the whole Summer Music Games concept, and CG added some gravitas for the athleticism of the activity.

A few years back,Ā at my first NightBEAT, I geeked out and asked Rondo to sign my program, with a paraphrase of what he remarked to one of Curtā€™s questionsĀ that evening, decades before.

ā€Curt, thereĀ canā€™t be ANY mistakes tonight.ā€

While Gowdy certainly wasnā€™t a DCI insider, for me he is inexorably linked to one of the greatest, all time finals.

Iā€™d be okay with Curt Gowdy. Rest In Peace.Ā 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Iā€™d be okay with Curt Gowdy. Rest In Peace.Ā 

Kansas City Star...RIP