DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, while trapped in Disney i missed seeing the shows in the theater and a bunch of people swinging their johnsons on DCP.

Ā 

Same ####, different year

Ā 

Well if you saw Cadets, youā€™d probably have anĀ instinctĀ to protect Sophia the First, Cinderella, and all the other princesses!šŸ˜ƒ

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Just now, Poppycock said:

Without a doubt. On the way home from the theater Lucas said he would watch Bluecoats if given the choice between Crown and Bluecoats.Ā 

How many snaps for Bluecoats? Ā Ā šŸ˜‚

You make this site so much more enjoyable. Ā 

I loved Bluecoats to death, but shoutout to Carolina Crown and Boston Crusaders on some amazing opening performances too. Ā This is gonna be a fun year. Ā Blue Stars closer was also a highlight for me. Ā 

• Like 6

Just got home from PremierĀ 

Its going to be a great year, enjoyed all the shows tonight. Loved Boston, I thought they would be strong but the show concept, quality of design etc was way above what I expected. Clearly there is a lot they can do with this show inĀ the coming weeks. It would not surprise me at all if they medal this year!

Bluecoats opening is so impressive and they are loud loud loud. The base of the electronics rattledĀ the theater speakers!Ā The rest of the show was entertaining butĀ for me, fell off the high of the captivating start. It will be interesting to seeĀ what happens over the coming weeksĀ 

Crown horn arrangements are amazing, cant wait to see the show live. Lots of movement throughoutĀ and a house rockingĀ closerĀ 

Out of the gate, it really is close IMO between these 3 elite corps, maybe even with the bronze medal at stake. On balance,Ā I would tend to pick BAC to come out on top come August. Time will tell.Ā Ā 

Great night at the theater

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Iā€™d love to know the thought process behind choosing Jethro Tull music for a drum corps show. Definitely one of The Cadets more forgettable shows.

It was undoubtedly the same thought process that came up with 'The Pursuit of Happiness,' '12.25' and 'Awakening.'

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Well if you saw Cadets, youā€™d probably have this instinctive to protect Sophia the First, Cinderella, and all the other princesses!šŸ˜ƒ

the princess in my life is more than enough

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

turns out the Bluecoats could learn a few things from SIR Paul McCartney. He knew how to maximize the use of a bass instrument, not just push a button for goo.Ā 

I agree. I am obviously not as sold on Bluecoats as many folks are tonight, though I really enjoyed the show and am looking forward to seeing it live next week. But the magic of the Beatles was not just their ability to entertain but their subtlety.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

How many snaps for Bluecoats? Ā Ā šŸ˜‚

You make this site so much more enjoyable. Ā 

I loved Bluecoats to death, but shoutout to Carolina Crown and Boston Crusaders on some amazing opening performances too. Ā This is gonna be a fun year. Ā Blue Stars closer was also a highlight for me. Ā 

Itā€™s early and there will be changes made by all, but Bluecoats were so much more entertaining.Ā Like Stephan said it was the Motor City Battle For The Bronze. Cali is Gold and Silver. BTW thanks for your kind words.Ā 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Brief thoughts:

Phantom: Not sure this will make finals. Doesn't seem a very mature design. If Spirit and Academy really bring it, they could be in trouble.Ā 

Blue Stars: I loved the carpenter show. It was totally charming and a joy to watch. This one is not that. It's hard to get a sense of a winter landscape on a green turf field and the outfits were pretty tragic. The much maligned Bob the Builder suits were quite visually effective, but this riot or patterns, fur and dull colors was not very coherent.

Cadets: Yikes. Seem to play pretty well, but the design was all over the place. We were totally baffled by the queen's reappearance in a fish net. Needs major work on clarity.Ā 

Boston: Obviously very strong. Possibly over designed. Expected to like it more than I did, but it doesn't really breathe. Very dense and driving throughout, and even the ballad is not really a moment of rest. Cutting out the vocal recordings would help a lot. Goliath on stilts laid an egg in our theater, with considerable chuckling when he mock falls onto the pegboard. High quality in all sections, but last year's package seemed to communicate better.

Crown: I loved this. Very clear and coherent thought and design. The look of the uniforms works extremely well and everything made sense. Reminded me of 2013 and is designed to be a contender. This may be the first ever use of nude shoes on a guard that actually works, because they smartly did a fade of the same color up the legs. The show was fun, moving, engaging and nicely paced.

Bluecoats: As with last year, next-level design. You almost can't compare them to the rest. Costuming is fantastic. Show is wonderfully paced and incredibly fun. Focal points direct you to the right place at the right time.Ā Props are beautifully simple and effective. The found a way to get some of the best moments from the Beatles woven together without it feeling like a stitched Frankenstein. Tons of potential here.Ā 

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. I think that's good. šŸ™‚

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2